Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web URL advice

• 01-04-2012 7:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Some advice please.

I will be getting a survey completed by people but instead of the usual email contact and then click on a link, I will be handing a short leaflet to people explaining the survey and the web address will be on the bottom.

Anyone that has made surveys will know that the weblink will be some long un-typable link that no one will attempt to type in (e.g. surveys on survey monkey) so I was planning on making a website with an easily memorable and typable name, and have the link on that page to the survey e.g. www.thesurvey/mysurvey or something simple that people will actually bother going to. On this page I would just shave a few brief lines of text to explain the survey and a link at the bottom to my previously made survey.

Any thoughts on what the best way to set up such a site would be? It will only be for a month or two.

I had thought of using tiny url or some other link shortening service but I wonder when people are asked to type something like tiny url/mysurvey will they think its a bit dodgy or something and I have also read that these services sometimes go down and therefore my survey would go down.

Any ideas from the masters?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

TinyURL normally keep your links for a month or so, I think it is. If people are web-saavy they mightn't have a problem with it, but you're right, it may put off others.

If you set up a domain, it would be straight forward to have a page that simply redirects on to your SurveyMonkey page alright though like — mydomain.com/survey. You'll have to code up the page that will redirect on; search for '301 redirect' or 'meta redirect' on Google.

The other thing you could do would be to set up a free account — so Google sites, Wordpress or Facebook & just make sure you've a prominent link from your main page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

PoleStar wrote: »
    Any ideas from the masters?

Provide both URLs on the leaflet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭omega42

when u register your domain register with a company that offer free domain forwarding then just use the domain forwarder to ur survey so when somebody types www.yourdomain.com it will bring you straight to your survey. Its good for directing people to sites not ur own while keeping your domain name in the address bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

tricky D wrote: »
    Provide both URLs on the leaflet

Your missing the point.

If someone has to read a leaflet and then enter a URL such as www.commercialsurverysite.com/customsurvey/new/svh1itue/2y or whatever then I think my response rate will be pretty low.

I was hoping to have someway of having it in an easy way such as www.mysurvey.com.

I will check the other suggestions out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Ok, seems like Black Knight is just what I need! I will set up a domain with automatic forwarding to my survey!

Bingo!

Awesome thanks for help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement