Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Espionage and Spying

• 01-04-2012 9:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

There is a Programme later on this week about espionage and spying in the modern world. It got me thing does Ireland have a secret service and what does it get up too. Seriously? And those it ever do anything outside the law or missions in other nations that we know about?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It got me thing does Ireland have a secret service and what does it get up too.

If we knew that, they wouldn't be much of a secret service, would they?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yes it does, and it's a secret, so don't tell anyone!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is a Programme later on this week about espionage and spying in the modern world. It got me thing does Ireland have a secret service and what does it get up too. Seriously? And those it ever do anything outside the law or missions in other nations that we know about?

We do http://www.google.ie/search?q=irish+secret+service&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a The impression is that the money is essentially for both Army Intelligence and Garda Intelligence to dip into for stuff they need for undercover operations.

Note the US Secret Service is primarily a protection service, although it has secondary functions like anti-counterfeiting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Go on OP admit it You are from Louth, go on tell the truth you are from the land of the staaaa baaa and the maaaaas baaa:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Victor wrote: »

One of the people who wanted to know about them and asked questions in the dail according to your link was Sinn Féin TD Aengus O Snodaigh.

HA HA HA They got you back Aengus never go near the Irish secret Service and never ask about how much money they are getting otherwise they might do some research about printing costs and reveal it. oopps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Irelands secret service is surely the most successful in the developed world, because I've never heard of it and I'm surprised we have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

The only reason the public have heard of it was because their funding was cut, or so I hear. I also have no links to back that up but am more than willing to apologise to whoever proves me wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

.ecnetsixe ruo yned ,dehctaw neeb era uoY

No there is no Irish secret service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

We spy on Mexican potato farmers. What their secret to flowery tasty taters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Victor wrote: »
    Garda Intelligence

Do they use the alternate days system, generally speaking if Brain Cells were sticks they could not start a fire:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The ultra secret Irish intelligence group goes by the name of Mossiehad

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

Eer, yeah we do. They're called G2;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G2_(Republic_of_Ireland)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

44leto wrote: »
    .ecnetsixe ruo yned ,dehctaw neeb era uoY

No there is no Irish secret service.

gnieb*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

They kept it so secret the last member didnt tell anyone of it and it died off in the 60's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I'm just back from a mission there in moscow, killed 50 KGB guys and then slept with each of their blonde haired sexually adventurous wives. Cant beat it hi:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

John Doe1 wrote: »
    I'm just back from a mission there in moscow, killed 50 KGB guys and then slept with each of their blonde haired sexually adventurous wives. Cant beat it hi:)

I bet the FSB were glad you didn't go after them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

The other participants at the meeting were two individuals from the top echelon of the Firm, the assistant head of Secretariat and the head of Budget.
    Before the day was over, Gullberg had been appointed head of a newly created division with the working title of "the Special Section". The first thing he did was to rename it "Special Analysis".
    That held for a few minutes until the head of Budget pointed out that S.A. was not much better than S.S. The organisation's final name became "the Section for Special Analysis", the S.S.A., and in daily parlance "the Section", to differentiate it from "the Division" or "the Firm", which referred to the Security Police as a whole. Gullberg turned to his colleague and asked "Well man, d'ya wanna head over to Centra for a chicken roll?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Can you imagine Ireland having a secret service? If we do, it's probably just full of middle-aged twats like Pat Kenny pretending to be Roger Moore from the 80s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

You'll soon find out when they come looking for the household charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Can you imagine Ireland having a secret service? If we do, it's probably just full of middle-aged twats like Pat Kenny pretending to be Roger Moore from the 80s

Our intelligence Service G-2 is well respected in the international community. They've had to deal with terrorist threats for decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

The secret service here are usually involved with all Ireland tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I seen that doco, the spy-game is really different then the films portray. It was a good programme.

The Irish secret service is fiana fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

All joking aside there is one and it is very secret. I was in an old army barracks once. Inside the old Officers mess it was really a mess. The walls were covered in blue and red spots and the floor was covered in brass cartridge cases and handles from stun grenades. It was obvious that someone had been practising assaulting the rooms. Armies use something like paintball bullets. Only they use real guns and the paintballs are small bullet sized paintballs.

Not only that I found a document. It was obviously for a training exercise. But it described an individual who was obviously a suspect terrorist who was being followed by members of the ARW. Which is the Irish army special forces. If the scenario is to be believed they must be following people all the time and they won't be in uniform.

You don't have to be an expert in military matters to figure out what was going on!

So yes we have a secret intelligence service. They're very good and very secret leaving aside their sloppy effort in leaving the document behind.

So it's real anyone who thinks otherwise is a bit naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Just like to add today is spy wednesday ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

realies wrote: »
    Just like to add today is spy wednesday ;-)

How appropriate. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

As above we have the Army G2, I also recall seeing something about a gang called the C3 section of An Garda Siochána which is intelligence.. quick description here..
    C3: Security & Intelligence - dealt with subversive or politically motivated crime. Any intelligence received by any Garda officer in that regard was filtered through C3. It also acted as the main channel of communication between the RUC and An Garda Síochána.
    The Special Detective Unit (SDU), also known as Special Branch, also
    came under the control of C3. Based in Dublin, it was tasked with checking up on intelligence received by C3 concerning subversives active in the Republic. Although SDU was a subset of C3, its members were not permitted as a rule to deal directly with the police in Northern Ireland. This was done by others in C3.
    It should be noted that the principal function of C3 was to gather
    intelligence: the investigation of specific crimes was the purview of C1 and / or the Technical Bureau (see below).

http://www.seamusludlow.com/quoting_barron_report6.htm

Plenty of experience dealing with terrorist organisations and organised crime over the years.

Advertisement