Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement key fob for electronic gate.

Options
  • 01-04-2012 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

I'm really not sure where to stick this one so mods, feel free to move a more appropriate forum.

Anyway, we have electric gates at home and a few fobs for control. I'd like to get my hands on an extra fob for a project.

Problem is the gate supplier charges around €50 for one and I know they can be bought much cheaper than that.

Question is: What exactly do I need to know about my system to be able to get a new fob for it?

Are they specs like frequency, coding system etc?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Can you post a pic of the fob or some more info on it.
    Some are manually coded with a series of dip switches. Other a programmed or learnt into the reciever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Ok, well I just opened it up. It has dip switches in the back.

Also, I opened up the receiver box and it's 433 Mhz.

I've been browsing and come across my receiver. It's this one.

Does this mean I can buy any receiver that operates on 433 Mhz and has dip switches. As long as the DIPS are the will it work?

Does this also mean that these systems aren't really that secure as the code is the same all the time. i.e not rolling so somebody can intercept the code and open your door?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you buy the same type of transmitter you can just copy the dips to match.
    You are correct, they are not that secure.

Advertisement