Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xtravision Closing

Options
  • 01-04-2012 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

just heard that Xtravision, Parnell Street is closing its doors for last time end of June, got it from the horses mouth.

Damn shame, like the fact it was it was a short walk to whilst in the town.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

johndoe99 wrote: »
    just heard that Xtravision, Parnell Street is closing its doors for last time end of June, got it from the horses mouth.

Damn shame, like the fact it was it was a short walk to whilst in the town.
    Downloading is killing these type of shops. It's a shame more jobs lost in a city that's dieing.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

To be fair to xtra-vision they're not letting the staff go, theyre being re-located to the other xtra-visions around town. Hopefully there'll be enough hours to go around

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

How expensive are they to rent these days? I remember at one point a new release could be like €6 to rent for the night. You just can't compete with downloading with prices like that?

Fair play to them for relocating the staff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

liked it for the blu-ray selection mostly, had a pretty good stock of them unlike the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

Shame really, but guessing the business there is very bad when the students are gone from Railway Square. I've never seen more than 3 people in there in the last few months :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Xtravision will go the same way as the horse and cart.

It's called creative destruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Xtravision will go the same way as the horse and cart.

It's called creative destruction.
    Are you telling me certain minorities will be racing xtravision on the outer ring road?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

I would have thought that would have been one of their busier stores

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

Have to say, I often go to the one on the dunmore road at weekends and it's usually quite busy. I always liked Xtradvision.. plus I'm a sucker for their 2 movie deal with the popcorn and such :D Sad to hear the one in town closing though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

I could be reading too much into it but maybe a certain Niteclub wants to acquire the premise?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

if thats the case shanemul then they'd want ladbrokes and espresso also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I can't imagine it's anything to do with The Foundry tbh. Sure don't they have a huge spot across the road that's just gathering dust at the moment.

Xtravisions all over the country will probably go the way of the Game stores... Surely there's only about 10-20% of the people that were renting DVDs 5 years ago doing it today. I certainly can't remember the last time I rented a DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

ziedth wrote: »
    How expensive are they to rent these days?

They have dropped their prices to be fair, the odd time I rent there its always a bundle, think I got 2 DVDs and a popcorn for under a tenner which is decent enough.
    wellboy76 wrote: »
    I would have thought that would have been one of their busier stores

I worked in that store for a small time and in all the stores in town at one point or another. Lisduggan by a country mile was the busiest then Ballybricken / Parnell Street depending on the day of the week. Lack of parking and people going to the pub limited their business especially on weekends.
    Xtravisions all over the country will probably go the way of the Game stores... Surely there's only about 10-20% of the people that were renting DVDs 5 years ago doing it today. I certainly can't remember the last time I rented a DVD.

The company as a whole was in big trouble, think it was under court protection at one point last year. They own a load of vacant properties around the country and are paying boom time rates on them. The rental market was dying while I was there and that was ~7 years ago. The Lisduggan store used to sell more call credit then rentals on a saturday night to put it in perspective! They make their money now from games rental, games sales, DVD sales (still big surprisingly) and consumer electronics. Anything they get from rental is a bonus and they would drop it in the morning if they could. The cost to them to buy a DVD for rental used to be scandalous. It took around 10 rentals to break even on the cost of a single disk to rent, they were making a minor profit on big releases years ago, I couldn't see them making anything on it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Once they stopped renting VHS, they lost a customer in me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Whatever damage downloading caused to these types of shops, surely Netflix is finishing them off? €7 a month for unlimited access to films and tv? C'mon out of it!! Anyone I know who got it loves it.

I actually still use Xtravision, they do a two DVD rental, two cans of Coke and a box of popcorn for €11 (I think), I was going to the one on Ballybricken instead of Parnell St. For a few months now because its slightly closer to me but the parking situation is so handy too. I like going in with the missus and going through the new releases, don't think my kids will have that option by the time they're my age though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Having worked in that particular store for over seven years, I think it'll be a sad day to see it close. However, the immediate competition with other Xtravision stores and Gamestop etc. always meant that one of the four city stores would have to go at some stage and with the rental lease up this year, it was sadly the obvious option. The lack of parking certainly didn't help even though it was one of the stronger stores in the south east for the company.

With the exception of Golden Discs, it was the only place in the city centre where you could buy new DVDs / BluRays too.

I just hope Xtravision look after the staff there, they're all good people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Having worked in that particular store for over seven years, I think it'll be a sad day to see it close. However, the immediate competition with other Xtravision stores and Gamestop etc. always meant that one of the four city stores would have to go at some stage and with the rental lease up this year, it was sadly the obvious option. The lack of parking certainly didn't help even though it was one of the stronger stores in the south east for the company.

With the exception of Golden Discs, it was the only place in the city centre where you could buy new DVDs / BluRays too.

I just hope Xtravision look after the staff there, they're all good people.

ye nicest staff of all the xtravisions in town work in there imo

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

In fairness - xtravision / Blockbuster dropped the ball, they had a cashcow and they didn't move with the times, it shouldn't be netflicks it should xtravision-online...

The rental market is dying due to on-demand solutions being offered by Xbox and other such corporations.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

The store manager in there is Pat, an absolute gentleman, I will be sorry to see the place close too.

Advertisement