Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Membership -Cancellation

Options
  • 01-04-2012 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

Some advice pleasy...

With Gym but need to cancel due to personal reasons.

Before anything was signed they said i would have a min contract of 24 months.

Just looking at the contract and ive noticed the following:

On the line where it says 'Minimum term of contract' it is blank.
    Signature of member was done by my GF (GF signature not mine), i was in work and she went down to sort membership out.

I am well within my rights to cancel the standing order here or am i?

Is there any risk to my credit rating as i dont want to risk it as i will be looking to buy a house in the next 12/18 months

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

FullOf..IT wrote: »
    Some advice pleasy...

With Gym but need to cancel due to personal reasons.

Signature of member was done by my GF (GF signature not mine), i was in work and she went down to sort membership out.

I am well within my rights to cancel the standing order here or am i?

Is there any risk to my credit rating as i dont want to risk it as i will be looking to buy a house in the next 12/18 months

It won't affect your credit rating unless they get a court order against you for the amount outstanding.

If the personal reasons are temporary, could you ask them to put your membership on hold for a period of time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Minimum contract of 24 months would be deemed excessive and probably wouldn't hold up in court. - The UK brought in guidelines on this a while ago.

In your case, a minimum term is not stipulated and therefore not enforceable.

Give them 30 days notice in writing of cancellation and cancel direct debit.

I've yet to hear of any gym taking any member / past member to court for cancelling a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

You are absolutely within your rights to cancel the standing order. It's your bank account. Call into your branch to do it. It's a 2 minute process.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

wyndham wrote: »
    You are absolutely within your rights to cancel the standing order. It's your bank account. Call into your branch to do it. It's a 2 minute process.

He maybe in his rights to cancel standing order/DD but may not be in his rights to cancel the contract.

I'd speak to the gym first before doing anything. Some gyms fight tooth and nail to enforce contracts so beware

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It may not be as simple as you think....

The OP could have taken out a 24 month membership at a special rate e.g. for the price of 18 months membership. The gym could then have arranged a loan payable over 24 months. In that case the lending institution would have handed the money over to the gym and the OP would be liable to repay the loan regardless of whether he ever sets foot in the gym again.

Check the paperwork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ask the gym. You may be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭moggser

the way i'd look at that is minimum term of contract is blank!! why? are they going to fill in a random time frame in there?? thats not concrete so there is get out number one

what gym is it by the way

get out number two is that your GF has signed her name to that contract you have not signed it so unless she needs that membership id cancel it and direct debit but also inform them why and that you are doing so as long as YOU have not signed anything i think they wont have you liable to anything your missus on the other hand ... if you love her grin and bare it if you want out and want shut of her just cancel it and let her take the fall :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,289 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Was this over the phone? If there's no recording off it, and your signed copy of the contract has no minimum dates, I think you'll be free to go (assume you'll have to give them a months notice or similar)

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FullOf..IT

Rang them and told them the personal situation.

Girl said just send in letter stating reason and ring in a few days to get update.

Got the impression they will grant my request to cancel.

I didnt mention contract errors but will use if need be.

Thanks for replies.

Heard some stories about cancelling gym membership.

Advertisement