Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place for a 3 day stopover from Sydney to Dublin

Options
  • 01-04-2012 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭

I'm flying back to Dublin at the end of June and wondering were people would recommend for a stopover. Have about 3 days or so that I would stay over. I guess it would need to be one of the main stopover cities like Singapore, KL, Dubai etc.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

digiman wrote: »
    I'm flying back to Dublin at the end of June and wondering were people would recommend for a stopover. Have about 3 days or so that I would stay over. I guess it would need to be one of the main stopover cities like Singapore, KL, Dubai etc.

I am currently in Kuala Lumpur and would rate it good enough for a stop-over (although I'm in Malaysia and not going to Oz). Last time stopped over in Singapore and it is brutally humid and moist, expensive, lacking any real character and totally fake.

Kuala Lumpur is cheaper than Singapore, and more interesting although both KL and Singapore are consumerist cities and both lack any great sense of culture and appeal unless endless shopping and food is your thing.

For me Bangkok would be my number 1 choice for a stopover if I was ever going to Australia again, it has culture and shopping is slightly cheaper than KL and much cheaper than Singapore, it is however the most "3rd wordly of the three cities also".

I wouldn't even consider Dubai unless you were flying with Emirates especially, you are stopping off 2/3rds of the journey in and it is not a halfway split in the journey as it leaves you with a 14.5 to 15hr flight from Sydney to Dubai and a 7hr flight to Dublin.

KL, Singapore and Bangkok by comparison all give you in the region of 12hr-12hr or 12hr-10hr fairly equal split in the flying time. I've never been outside Dubai airport but it looks like just another fake city to me and uber expensive on top of it. If flying the A380 the 15hr flight would be bearable as you have slightly more room than normal and it is very quite with not as much noise. I flew Syndey to LAX with Qantas before flying home via the US and onwards to Heathrow with British Airways/Aer Lingus to Cork.

Emirates are not running full A380's schedules at the moment due to technical issues with their A380's and I was due to fly on that from Dubai to KL last week and it was swapped for a Boeing 777 and it was hellish, now if you got stuck on that for the 15 hrs from Sydney to Dubai it would be horrible.

Emirates do give 30Kgs baggage and will probably have amongst the best prices so it is a hard one to call, you could fly them from Sydney to Bangkok to Dubai to Dublin which would be the best bet or else Qantas from Sydney to Singapore to London on the A380 all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

I'm flying to Melb on Wednesday & stopping over in KL for 3 days. I'll give you some feedback next week.
    Stinicker wrote: »
    it was swapped for a Boeing 777 and it was hellish, now if you got stuck on that for the 15 hrs from Sydney to Dubai it would be horrible.

I'm due to fly London - KL on a 747. Really hope it aint swapped for a lesser plane!

Advertisement