Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance learning IT

Options
  • 01-04-2012 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    Are oscail and the open university the only real options for distance learning in IT? Seems to be all I can find - any recs as to which would be the better option / better reputation etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Is it an IT Degree or Masters that you want to take on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

I'm just about to finish the DCU Oscail IT degree.

OU has Oscail beaten in organisation & content(from what i see) hands down.

However Oscail has accessability & cost in it's favour and they are begining to change some of the content. You gain a Bsc from DCU at the end of it.

There is a lot about the Oscail course i would change. It is begining to change some stuff now & be more business orientation. You wont learn a damn thing about programming in it(They have parts in modules but it's really quite light). They are way too heavy on lower level networking for my liking(Not sure what i neded to know about Dense wavelength division multiplexing for..) . There is also the module of death know as HSA(& Variants) which is the bastard child of computer science & phycology. Its about human computer interation, perceptions ,training.. all good stuff except the application on the course is horrific. I admit i am slightly biased but im almost through a full year of continual assesment on it.

Having said that, i learnt a fair amount from it over the years and overall would have to rate the course(overall) as i went through it as useful. There is the option of just doing the diploma & then transfering to the OU.

Depends exactly what you want to do. There are part time computer science degrees out of trinity and others afaik however they are more time consuming & location dependant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Thanks AgentJ - very helpful!

I am actually looking to learn programming in particular so think I will rule out the Oscail course. Ideally I would just like to do some standalone programming courses for beginners but there does not seem to be anything available :(

Thanks AgentJ - very helpful!

I am actually looking to learn programming in particular so think I will rule out the Oscail course. Ideally I would just like to do some standalone programming courses for beginners but there does not seem to be anything available :(

I already had a bit of a computer science degree in which i had the basics of programming down so it missing in Oscail was no big deal for me. Oscail is more about the application of IT rather than computer science.

OU is quite modular. Maybe see if there is an single module you could take?

Here is a site which is handy for web based programming stuff. It might give a bit of a taster or just something to practice on. Otherwise there is a wealth of online stuff for more formal languages out there.

http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp

I would be off the opinion and it is only my own suggestion that while you can get formal stuff taught.. you really need to go off and learn programming on your own. Find a project or something you want to code & go do it.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Agent J wrote: »
    you really need to go off and learn programming on your own. Find a project or something you want to code & go do it.

If you are not interested in a full degree, this is the best advice.

Get an idea for a software program, get a book and away you go. Java is usually a good start, but other languages such as C Sharp, Python or PHP could be a good bet, depending on what type of software you are doing (web vs. desktop).

Also have a loot at some of the Institutes of Technology - a lot of them do part time courses that have an online component. Just make sure that wherever you choose is reputable, not some Mickey Mouse Internet College.

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Just make sure that wherever you choose is reputable, not some Mickey Mouse Internet College.

This.

The key words you need to learn are NFQ Level ,Fetac & ECTS

NFQ - National framework of Qualifications

- Every qualification worth anything should have an NFQ level

FETAC - Further Education and Training Awards Council

-They tend to regulate NFQ levels 1-6 afaik. This one probably wont be as much relevant to you i think.

ECTS - European Credit Transfer system

Every modular course is worth a certain amount of credits. This is part of the drive to standarised 3rd level education accross the EU. If the course can't give you an ECTS value this should be a flag.

If these terms don't exist or you are given the brush off treat with extreme caution.

Advertisement