Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does domain name affect search ranking?

Options
  • 01-04-2012 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to register a domain name but both the .ie and .com ones are gone. Is there a next best i should opt for? The website is aimed only at the irish market. Does the domain name "extension" have a big impact on it's ranking in searches?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

gnolan wrote: »
    I'm looking to register a domain name but both the .ie and .com ones are gone. Is there a next best i should opt for? The website is aimed only at the irish market. Does the domain name "extension" have a big impact on it's ranking in searches?

There are many schools of thought on this, but my personal opinion is this - you need a new domain name.

If you go with a .biz, .eu, .net, or something else people who hear of your site will always try .com and if it's Irish .ie first. You don't want to be competing with another crowd in Ireland who has the same .ie domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

CptSternn wrote: »
    There are many schools of thought on this, but my personal opinion is this - you need a new domain name.

If you go with a .biz, .eu, .net, or something else people who hear of your site will always try .com and if it's Irish .ie first. You don't want to be competing with another crowd in Ireland who has the same .ie domain.

The reason the .ie is out is because the client does not want to register the business name yet. The business is currently a side-project for them that does not make any money. Without a registered business name i can't register a .ie address. So i misspoke when i said the .ie is "gone". It's not gone, but it appears to be off the table for the moment. The .com is gone though.

Any advice?

Their worry is that they'll register the name with the CRO and then have to sort out all these tax issues, have their current credits messed about with etc, even though this business is basically idle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

gnolan wrote: »
    CptSternn wrote: »

The reason the .ie is out is because the client does not want to register the business name yet. The business is currently a side-project for them that does not make any money. Without a registered business name i can't register a .ie address. So i misspoke when i said the .ie is "gone". It's not gone, but it appears to be off the table for the moment. The .com is gone though.

Any advice?

Their worry is that they'll register the name with the CRO and then have to sort out all these tax issues, have their current credits messed about with etc, even though this business is basically idle.

if its just a business name I.e an idea, you won't have to do anything with tax returns. I was in the same boat and asked the cro about it.

Advertisement