Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Waterfall question-Full marks??

• 01-04-2012 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

1. In the upper course of the river the dominant physical processes in operation are erosional and the most impressive feature is the waterfall.
    2. It is formed when a layer of resistant rock lies across or beside a layer of soft rock. This resistant layer of rock may be horizontal, vertical or it may dip upstream.
    3. The soft rock on the downstream side is eroded at a faster rate and a fall develops as the river bed is steepened where the two rocks meet.
    4. The underlying softer rock is worn away as the water drops onto it.
    5. Over a period of time the resistant rock is undercut, becomes unstable and collapses.
    6. The rock which collapses to the bottom of the fall is swirled in an eddying action and carves out a deep hollow called a plunge pool.
    7. The important processes involved in the formation of waterfalls are hydraulic action, abrasion and solution.
    8. Hydraulic action is the physical force of the water as it attacks the banks and bed of the river.
    9. When the water approaches the fall, it increases in speed because the water in front of it is falling freely and is not in contact with its bed so hydraulic action is effective at this point of the river.
    10. However abrasion, which is the water armed with its load, is the most important process in eroding the soft rock and in deepening the plunge pool.
    11. Solution may be important if the rock contains minerals which are soluble in water and this helps to weaken and break up the rock.
    12. As the waterfall retreats upstream it may form a gorge if the hard rock layer is horizontal or dips upstream.
    13. Waterfalls decrease in height as they retreat upstream and eventually they disappear from the landscape.
    14. Waterfalls may also be formed by glaciation and by faulting.
    15. Examples of Waterfalls in Ireland: Powerscourt, Co. Wicklow
    16. Diagrams

Would this answer be awarded full marks do ye think??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Just had a glance at it. Maybe throw in the terms differential erosion into 3/4, and headward erosion into 12? They;re two terms I remember getting me SRPs. Your answer seems grand though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Thanks for that :D If anyone else has an opinion feel free to share!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's not a mistake as such, but the English in "However abrasion, which is the water armed with its load...".

Abrasion isn't the water armed with its load - you might just fiddle about with that to get it right, but overall seems like an excellent answer to me. I doubt you would lose marks for the slightly wonky expression, but it does let down your answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

I'd shorten it tbh. Remember, ideally you should spend 12 minutes at this question, and to me it's a little too long. Most of the first line isn't necessary, imo you could just say "One feature of erosion I have studied is the waterfall".

In my mock, I got 96%, and heck, most of what I said was in crap english but I got in an SRP in usually a line or two. This gave me extra time which is crucial if you want to succeed in geography. Oh, and always use bullet points. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Just one thing - the marking schemes generally do it like this, new books are too, and my teacher tells us to do it.

Feature: Waterfall
    Process: Erosion
    Example: Powerscourt
    Diagram:
    Formation:
    Gets you srps quickly and if theres a map, a grid ref is another srp :)

• Advertisement

Oh, and always use bullet points. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks Wesc. but my teacher says that you will be deducted marks if your answer is in bullet point form..He says that it is not coherent.But maybe thats not the case?
    Thanks I tried to get as much SRPs as I could because in my pre most of my answers that I usually am awarded 30/30 were getting 24/30 and 20/30 so its kinda annoying.. Thanks for the tips :D

David1994 wrote: »

Thanks Wesc. but my teacher says that you will be deducted marks if your answer is in bullet point form..He says that it is not coherent.But maybe thats not the case?
    Thanks I tried to get as much SRPs as I could because in my pre most of my answers that I usually am awarded 30/30 were getting 24/30 and 20/30 so its kinda annoying.. Thanks for the tips :D
    OC marks havent been in place for anything but the option section since 2006 but could be brougbt back at any time. I dont see why bullet points arent allowed as long as it flows...my teacher corrects the leaving cert and lets me do my option questions in bullet point form, but I'm a little dubious if thats okay or not. A lot of people I know do physical, regional and elective in bullet points, I think its fine tbh :)

Ye I dont see why they would deduct marks so I might use them for certain answers :D I suppose it is also a better way of making sure you have written enough SRPs in the pressure of the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Limschoolboy

I'd say a bit more effort would be required. The marking scheme for it changes some years and you need good solid points. Remember this question can be marked harder than others as it has appeared every year on the exam so by right you should have a 30/30 answer in your sleep.

what I would advise is..

bring your erosian processes in towards the start.. like state and explain two of them hydraulic action and abrasion.
    then introduce 'rapids' (because they form before the small fall) hydraulic action is increased when water flows over the rapids onto the softer rock, thus increasing the rate of vertical erosian.

when you talk about the cap of rock falling off, mention how its transported downstream by solution, suspension, saltation and traction.

the reason why a waterfall retreats upstream and forms a gorge is because the back of the waterfall is eroded by spray (which when the water falls over the fall into the plungepool it sprays back and overtime this will erode)

when you say the waterfall will retreat upstream mention that is because a river will ALWAYS revert back to its original profile (profile of equiliberum)

when you say glaciation, mention a hanging valley and when you say faulting say at a normal fault land slips down and if a river was over this land then a waterfall would have formed.

also waterfalls are found in the old age stage due to river rejuvenation which involves a drop in river base level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    OC marks havent been in place for anything but the option section since 2006 but could be brougbt back at any time. I dont see why bullet points arent allowed as long as it flows...my teacher corrects the leaving cert and lets me do my option questions in bullet point form, but I'm a little dubious if thats okay or not. A lot of people I know do physical, regional and elective in bullet points, I think its fine tbh :)

Hold on a sec, I really don't think you'll definitely be able to do the option in bullet point form. 20 marks go for coherence. I think you're meant to have distinct paragraphs explaining a certain aspect of the question. A fella in my class did his option in bullet points and lost like 10 marks. So just be wary of that. :)

• Advertisement

Wesc. wrote: »
    Hold on a sec, I really don't think you'll definitely be able to do the option in bullet point form. 20 marks go for coherence. I think you're meant to have distinct paragraphs explaining a certain aspect of the question. A fella in my class did his option in bullet points and lost like 10 marks. So just be wary of that. :)
    Yeah my thoughts exactly, my teacher tells me those marks are for intro and conclusion or something dumb but he didnt even apply them in the mocks ugh :S What I do is use 4 headings or just 3 if I have to and have 6-8 bullet points under each - it flows fine but I'm still a bit wary! :)

I'd say a bit more effort would be required. The marking scheme for it changes some years and you need good solid points. Remember this question can be marked harder than others as it has appeared every year on the exam so by right you should have a 30/30 answer in your sleep.

what I would advise is..

bring your erosian processes in towards the start.. like state and explain two of them hydraulic action and abrasion.
    then introduce 'rapids' (because they form before the small fall) hydraulic action is increased when water flows over the rapids onto the softer rock, thus increasing the rate of vertical erosian.

when you talk about the cap of rock falling off, mention how its transported downstream by solution, suspension, saltation and traction.

the reason why a waterfall retreats upstream and forms a gorge is because the back of the waterfall is eroded by spray (which when the water falls over the fall into the plungepool it sprays back and overtime this will erode)

when you say the waterfall will retreat upstream mention that is because a river will ALWAYS revert back to its original profile (profile of equiliberum)

when you say glaciation, mention a hanging valley and when you say faulting say at a normal fault land slips down and if a river was over this land then a waterfall would have formed.

also waterfalls are found in the old age stage due to river rejuvenation which involves a drop in river base level

Thanks for the advice but I am a bit confused as to how some people the answer should should be shortened and you feel it should be a bit longer :/

The thing is, they dont ask you about 'a waterfall', its always 'a landform formed by...' and usually (but not always, e.g one of the mocks) a waterfall fits it. So really, they cant raise the standard for a waterfall too high because even though its been asked every year, you could easily answer on a beach or something too.

So I'd say your answer is fine. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I can't for the life of me understand why they keep asking the same question every year. It's no wonder everybody gives out about the Leaving Cert. It's great for you guys learning it, obviously, but it's a prime example of the problems with the LC as it stands.

Usually badly answered questions are put back on. There's way too much to learn and its nice for it to be narrowed down a bit, but at the same time you do have to learn it all a bit to be sure, but by the looks of it this year will be different :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

But what's the question?

Thanks for the advice but I am a bit confused as to how some people the answer should should be shortened and you feel it should be a bit longer :/

No don't shorten it!
    Always remember that if you shorten it and under exam pressure you might leave out a point or you might accidently integrate two srps as one and you really dont want that to happen!!

In the exam I always make sure I have at least 2 pages per each exam question (i do bullet points so its easy to fill)

Since its comes up every year i think it would deserve good attention to perfect it.

No don't shorten it!
    Always remember that if you shorten it and under exam pressure you might leave out a point or you might accidently integrate two srps as one and you really dont want that to happen!!

In the exam I always make sure I have at least 2 pages per each exam question (i do bullet points so its easy to fill)

Since its comes up every year i think it would deserve good attention to perfect it.

Thanks Limschoolboy I think I will prepare answers with around 18 SRPs to be safe :D Btw are you sure you can use bullet points in your answers??

Thanks Limschoolboy I think I will prepare answers with around 18 SRPs to be safe :D Btw are you sure you can use bullet points in your answers??

I always use them because Its doubtful they'll bring Cohesian marks back, but if your still weary.. write out your points in bullet form but leaving out the bullet dots.. if you get what i mean
    like just go to a new line for each point (but dont skip lines)

oh dont use bullet points for the option!! they have often taken marks off for bullet points!

I always use them because Its doubtful they'll bring Cohesian marks back, but if your still weary.. write out your points in bullet form but leaving out the bullet dots.. if you get what i mean
    like just go to a new line for each point (but dont skip lines)

oh dont use bullet points for the option!! they have often taken marks off for bullet points!

Ye thats a good idea :D Btw just wondering what you hoping to get in Geography and what did you get in mock?? :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭bobjimmy

I know this question comes up every year but would you be ok just learing an answer on waterfalls or would you have to know an answer on the formation of a beach or levee etc. Take last year for instance they made you locate the feature on an os map. Is there a chance that a waterfall may not be on the map. This happened with a lot of people in the mocks. They only studied the formation of a waterfall but it turned out not to be on the map so they were screwed.

Ye thats a good idea :D Btw just wondering what you hoping to get in Geography and what did you get in mock?? :/

Im hoping for a high grade!! got an A1!

bobjimmy wrote: »
    I know this question comes up every year but would you be ok just learing an answer on waterfalls or would you have to know an answer on the formation of a beach or levee etc. Take last year for instance they made you locate the feature on an os map. Is there a chance that a waterfall may not be on the map. This happened with a lot of people in the mocks. They only studied the formation of a waterfall but it turned out not to be on the map so they were screwed.

There was a stream on that map flowing through contours that were beginining to pack together (it was really hard to find) but it was acceptable for a waterfall..

and it would be more obvious in the leaving certificate exam. Your supposed to study two (erosion or deposition) incase they specifically ask for one deposition or one erosion.

bobjimmy wrote: »
    Definitely not, as you said, that happened in the mocks. I was okay since I knew a beach too :P

My teacher made us all learn a meander too and I'd assume a lot of teachers did that since its always going to be on a map, so if youre doing that I'd advise you to do a really good answer - there'll be a pretty high standard I imagine.

Advertisement