Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Australia

Options
  • 01-04-2012 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Just a quick one regarding a reference letter - Are these a necessity? I have no previous rental history as I havent lived anywhere other than at home.

Is this going to go against me or am I not going to have a hope of getting a place without one?

Any advice appreciated,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

We got one from the Hostel we where staying. Just saying we always paid on time and we caused no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

Hey Op,

Have you taken a look at a typical rental application from a real estate agent's website?

They usually require the following:
    100 points of id, passport, driving license, credit card, bank statement in your name, a utility bill in your name at the very minimum before they even consider your application.

You will need to list the last 2 places you lived (sometimes 3) and give references, and the last 2 jobs as well as your current one. Anytime I have applied for a place, they really do check you out and ring your references.

I'm looking for a new place in Sydney since Jan, I own all my own furniture so want my own lease. I'm finding it tough and I've been here 3 years, lived in my current place for 2, and the one before that a year. Have gas, foxtel, electricity, broadband accounts with 3 years in my name, im sponsored, have a perm job etc. In my experience it has gotten really really tough.

Try gumtree, or would you consider renting a room in a house for a while? You still will need references etc but they prob won't be as strict as real estate agents.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

There is a rent shortage in the Irish areas generally. The apartments there are few and far between and can have many people looking for it. You might be better renting a room unless you are quite well paid.

I am of course assuming Sydney or Melbourne here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

A lot of agents also check with your employer that you are in paid employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Jumpy wrote: »
    There is a rent shortage in the Irish areas generally. The apartments there are few and far between and can have many people looking for it. You might be better renting a room unless you are quite well paid.

I am of course assuming Sydney or Melbourne here.

Same goes for Perth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Dubnobass

I haven't left Ireland yet. I'm just trying to put together as much info as I can before I go.

Was really hoping to spend as little time as possible in hostels and try to get myself somewhere more solid, Doesn't sound like that's going to happen. I thought it would be difficult but it seems it may be an impossibility.

Will just have to play it by ear when I arrive,

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

What do you do when you are just off the plane? and own your own house at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

Unfortunately - it seems we have been tarnished by our countrymen who have been and gone before us.

I was told by one real estate agent that they didn't rent to Irish under any circumstances due to past experiences.

Let's face it, when there are 50 people lined up on the street to view an apartment, Irish applicants are never going to be the top of the list of desirable tenants!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

It is very competitive alright. We own our home in Ireland so had no references from that obviously. We had both previously rented rooms in shared houses owned by friends. We got them to do a reference. I put together a cringeworthy cover letter explaining the lack of recent references. You have to sell yourself to the landlord so in the letter I laid out the positives (professionals, non smokers, no pets etc). Also included names of two character references living in Melbourne (again professionals), as well as employers.

They did ring to check our references.

If its possible you could also offer to pay 3 or 6 months rent in advance. That would push you up the list of applicants but clearly depends on your situation.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 supp

Dubnobass wrote: »
    I haven't left Ireland yet. I'm just trying to put together as much info as I can before I go.

Was really hoping to spend as little time as possible in hostels and try to get myself somewhere more solid, Doesn't sound like that's going to happen. I thought it would be difficult but it seems it may be an impossibility.

Will just have to play it by ear when I arrive,

Thanks for the replies.

Just head to St Kilda when you get here. There will be plenty of Irish there to help. Mostly English/Irish get shares homes together from my experience and thinking back I've know alot over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 supp

Sorry, I am kind of assuming you are young.

Advertisement