Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WoT - safe for 10 ur old? Any 'chat' or money involved?

Options
  • 01-04-2012 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

From what I've read I'm not aware of any chat function available or needed in this game. Also am I correct that you don't need to spend money on upgrading tanks?

Lastly, is the download supposed to take a couple of days? The file is huge:confused:

Thanks so much for advice in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Chat is available, but censored by default, and people don't really talk that much.

Money isn't required but does make things quicker/easier, but not required.

As for the file download, that'll depend on your download method, broadband speed etc etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

There is a ingame chat but there is a curse filter and there is no need to actually participate in the chat in anyway (nor desired to, most of it is inane whining and what not).

There is no need to spend any RL money upgrading tanks (it only goes faster if you spend RL money to buy premium membership as it gives +50% exp and credits).

The client is a bit over 2GB in size, download speed decides how long it takes. Personally I've downloaded it in under an hour multiple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Thanks for the advice, yes I saw it was over 2 GB in size, but must be my slow 2mg broadband speed, thats making it take so long, Ive had to shut down computer and terminate it a couple of times now, so Im going to try again tomoro morning and leave it run for the day to see how far it gets, as apparently it can resume once reopened again........

• Registered Users Posts: 33 iiansee

I suggest that you download it via torrent-client, you get to use all your bandwidth for the download and you can always pause it if needed and resume later. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Or use a download manager such as Free Download Manager which will allow you to pause the download to resume at a later stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭WilliStrangle

once you get that main file then you only have to update so its sort of worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Hi all, yes I used torrent to download, which I unchecked in settings within WoT, and needless to say I clicked it back on again:D

I left my PC running all night and found it downloaded this morning.
    What I did find strange was my firewall came up and said it would block some of the programmes features so I clicked ask me later as I'm not sure yet what it would block:confused: also noticed computer slower than usual - I'm on windows xp so presumably it's the pcs old age:D since downloading such a big file never happened here:pac:

Any way my son wil be thrilled when he comes home that he can start playing straight away:D

Thanks everyone for your replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Just click allow through the firewall. Its only throwing that up as this is an online game, and as such requires use of your internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭phil3995

mumof2 wrote: »
    What I did find strange was my firewall came up and said it would block some of the programmes features so I clicked ask me later as I'm not sure yet what it would block:confused:
    Generally the case with online games, it's normally due to the sending/receiving of data between you and the servers.

(Damn you Dub :P)

Advertisement