Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

all desktop icons on desktop and start icons missing??

• 01-04-2012 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

logged onto boards last night and clicked on a few links and then i got a java update pop up that looked dodgey.so i clicked the x then sortly after that all desktop icons disappeared as well as all the icons on the start menu.I presume it a malware virus of some sort but any chance of getting them back?
    p.s im not blaming boards for this so dont worry mr moderator

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Which version of Windows?
    On Win7 right click on the desktop and click View. See if 'Show desktop icons' is enabled.

Of course you could do a system restore to a few days back.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ap1986

5uspect wrote: »
    Which version of Windows?
    On Win7 right click on the desktop and click View. See if 'Show desktop icons' is enabled.

Of course you could do a system restore to a few days back.
    im running windows xp.when i right click on desktop to show icons its already ticked.the only icon thats on the desktop is my computer.when i click start on bottom left nothing is there at all.i done a bit of research into it and sites are sayin to run a certain programme (regsvr32 /i shell32.dll) but theres no run oiption or anything in the startup

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Use Windows Key + R to bring up the run dialog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Same thing happened to me. The Trojan is called Rouge/Fake HDD or SMART HDD. My Mcafee anti virus failed to detect it until it was too late. I used malwarebytes and TDSSKiller to remove it. Is it running this Fake SMART HDD program giving several HDD Errors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭Hijpo

• Advertisement
Advertisement