Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yes Kenny Dalglish and Liverpool are done. MOD POST #425 *ALL READ*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Flancrest wrote: »
    What bad signings has he made? Everyone he's bought has made a solid contribution to the team at some stage of the season

:rolleyes:

Obvious is obvious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Leiva wrote: »
    Thanks for that link which is primarily a journalist talking about the problems Liverpool will have attracting players due to failure of securing CL football.

Again can you please link me to this;

I won't ask again if you can't no problem .

I cant find it either, just journo speculation like this

http://www.liverpool-kop.com/2012/04/red-sox-collapse-why-dalglish-could-be.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Seriously - the Northampton defeat is one of the worst defeats in the club's history. I'm really not exagerrating here.

I would hold Liverpools current league form waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse than that result lets be fair.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Has Ferguson ever lost a cup game at home to a League Two (or fourth division) opponent?

Ok they lost on penalties, so it was a draw after 90mins and 120mins if you want to get technical about it.

United drew to a Conference side, at home, in the FA Cup link

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

What bad signings has he made? Everyone he's bought has made a solid contribution to the team at some stage of the season

Wow thats just blatant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Trilla wrote: »
    I would hold Liverpools current league form waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse than that result lets be fair.

Shocker.

And what about Hodgson's Liverpool's subsequent league form after the Northampton defeat? After all going out in the first round of the League Cup to a 2nd division side, horrendous as it was, isn't the only reason he was sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Thanks for that link which is primarily a journalist talking about the problems Liverpool will have attracting players due to failure of securing CL football.

Again can you please link me to this;

I won't ask again if you can't no problem .

From The Chester Chronicle & it's been printed elsewhere.
    “Speculation on players shouldn’t include those of a certain age,” he wrote on Twitter.

“We are not going to be successful by merely filling short-term needs at LFC.”

This unsurprisingly prompted a flurry of questions about the club’s transfer policy this summer, with Henry responding to comparisons between the progress Liverpool had made compared to that of champions Manchester United who have already signed Phil Jones, Ashley Young and David de Gea for a combined sum in the region of £50m.

“Everything in sports is overpriced now – especially the cost of winning. But you make your choices based on a plan,” was the American’s response.

“Some things happen early and some late. The important thing is that things happen. Sometimes what you avoid is important.”

I won't do any more work for you,just use google like everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

zerks wrote: »

Thats from June LAST YEAR!

https://twitter.com/#!/John_W_Henry/status/86113269198237696

And then he bought Downing!

(I feel all dirty looking up Liverpool stuff!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

zerks wrote: »

:confused:

If its a problem I'm sorry . That article has nothing to do with what i asked you ? so for the 4th time ......

Can you please link me to this :
    zerks:
    as FSG have stated publically that funds for transfers will be limited this Summer

I have searched and searched and another poster Sgt Pepper64 (Chelsea fan) has as well , but cant find what you stated :
    Sgt Pepper64
    I cant find it either, just journo speculation like this
    http://www.liverpool-kop.com/2012/04...-could-be.html

Did you make it up maybe ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Des wrote: »
    Longest "transition" in history tbh.
    Manchester United were in transition for 26 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

VqPrv.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

:confused:

If its a problem I'm sorry . That article has nothing to do with what i asked you ? so for the 4th time ......

Can you please link me to this :

I have searched and searched and another poster Sgt Pepper64 (Chelsea fan) has as well , but cant find what you stated :

Did you make it up maybe ?

To be honest its common sense to pump the money they get into the stadium rather than into new talent. It badly needs to be improved and its a solid investment in that it will add value to the club - as long as the fan base remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

eagle eye wrote: »
    Manchester United were in transition for 26 years.

It was a famine not a transition. Don't remember Utd fans at the time refer to some bullsh transition excuse.

Its crazy the way this thread is so popular but nobody was ragging on about Mancini with anywhere close to the same venom when Manchester City went out of the Champion's league in December despite having spent £250 million during his 23 months at the club and having only an FA Cup to show for it.

And its not like he didn't have a good squad before he went and spent that money with Hart, Kompany, Richards, Lescott, Zaballeta, Barry, De Jong and Tevez already there.

Yet here we are with Dalglish around `15 months back at Liverpool having spent a lot less money and a trophy in the bag already and he should be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

jaykay74 wrote: »
    It was a famine not a transition. Don't remember Utd fans at the time refer to some bullsh transition excuse.

Different times but taking account for changes in Europe, United didn't have any European success during that time, til the Cup Winners Cup anyway. Even Spurs, Everton and Ipswich were winning European trophies in that time. Barring an odd cup win, they didn't have much success to have a transition. Liverpool had the treble year and CL times during our famine.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Every year they believed they were going to challenge for the league and every year they failed and the manager should be sacked. That happened when Ferguson was in charge too, there were lots that wanted him gone.

Its crazy the way this thread is so popular but nobody was ragging on about Mancini with anywhere close to the same venom when Manchester City went out of the Champion's league in December despite having spent £250 million during his 23 months at the club and having only an FA Cup to show for it.

Mancini is not held in the stature by city fans as Daglish is by Liverpool fans and I don't think he's disliked half as much as Daglish either.

If the rumours in the Spanish press are to be believed, he could be out sooner than you think.

And its not like he didn't have a good squad before he went and spent that money with Hart, Kompany, Richards, Lescott, Zaballeta, Barry, De Jong and Tevez already there.

Yet here we are with Dalglish around `15 months back at Liverpool having spent a lot less money and a trophy in the bag already and he should be gone.

City are 2nd in the table and could quite possibly still win the title. We will be lucky to finish in the top 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hey now don't you be deflecting just cause you're a Dalglish fanboi.

There's a specific Mancini thread for that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

K-9 wrote: »
    Different times but taking account for changes in Europe, United didn't have any European success during that time, til the Cup Winners Cup anyway. Even Spurs, Everton and Ipswich were winning European trophies in that time. Barring an odd cup win, they didn't have much success to have a transition. Liverpool had the treble year and CL times during our famine.
    Different times indeed.You didn't get a sniff of the European cup for finishing 4th back then.

• Advertisement

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Different times indeed.You didn't get a sniff of the European cup for finishing 4th back then.

Very true.

And you didn't get a goal for ten back passes either ;) . nor did winning the European or league titles mean any less or any easier then, than they do today .

Catch my drift ? :)

cambo2008 wrote: »

Hence me mentioning Spurs, Everton and Ipswich, UEFA or Cup Winners Cup winners, Liverpool won it twice as well during that era. United couldn't even boast about European trophies during their famine and point to them as progress.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,595 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Very true.

And you didn't get a goal for ten back passes either ;) . nor did winning the European or league titles mean any less or any easier then, than they do today .

Catch my drift :)
    European titles have of course been devalued by the fact that 4th place finishers in leagues have been allowed enter.

There was a time when the Champions League was for champions and it of course was more prestigious, even if the allowing of more of the money teams into the competition has improved the standard.

CSF wrote: »
    European titles have of course been devalued by the fact that 4th place finishers in leagues have been allowed enter.

There was a time when the Champions League was for champions and it of course was more prestigious, even if the allowing of more of the money teams into the competition has improved the standard.

Devalued but no less harder to win .
    All that happens now is that some rounds and games are ridiculous and not great spectacles to watch; the lesser teams get a whipping.

Devalued but no less harder to win .
    All that happens now is that some rounds and games are ridiculous and not great spectacles to watch; the lesser teams get a whipping.

I'd suggest its harder to win now given the fact that you have to play more games, need a bigger squad to cope with it and the league and the standard is light years higher than it was.
    Barcelona's achievment of two titles in the last three years is much more difficult to achieve in this day and age.

I'd suggest its harder to win now given the fact that you have to play more games, need a bigger squad to cope with it and the league and the standard is light years higher than it was.
    Barcelona's achievment of two titles in the last three years is much more difficult to achieve in this day and age.

Yeah, but you had the UEFA Cup in those days, think 2nd and 3rd got into it and maybe the LC winners.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but you had the UEFA Cup in those days, think 2nd and 3rd got into it and maybe the LC winners.

Harder to qualify for - yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

manchester city are going in the right direction overall under mancini. Liverpool are going backwards overall under Dalglish.

therein lies the difference. but you already knew that, didn't you?

Sappy404 wrote: »
    After all going out in the first round of the League Cup to a 2nd division side, horrendous as it was, isn't the only reason he was sacked.

Yet it pops a few times in this thread. Purely because King Kenny won the Carling cup (jon penalties in the final to a championship side - just!) and is the semi finals of the FA Cup. The Northampton result was bad but it can be put down to a fluke, just like Manchester United drawing to Exeter.

Harder to qualify for - yes

Nope. You said the CL is easier to qualify for, obviously. If you add in the UEFA Cup they are nearly on a par, the UEFA Cup was a well regarded cup at the time. 2nd and 3rd qualified for it so not that much different. I get it though, anything to avoid the lack of trophies at United in that time.
    Trilla wrote: »
    Yet it pops a few times in this thread. Purely because King Kenny won the Carling cup (jon penalties in the final to a championship side - just!) and is the semi finals of the FA Cup. The Northampton result was bad but it can be put down to a fluke, just like Manchester United drawing to Exeter.

But it obviously wasn't a fluke result, he was consistently shyte.

Dalglish could have a cup double to point to at the end of the season, beating some good sides a long the way. A win is a win after all, putting out full strength teams would be the criticism I'd have of him in the cups.

manchester city are going in the right direction overall under mancini. Liverpool are going backwards overall under Dalglish.

therein lies the difference. but you already knew that, didn't you?
    They have won their first silverware in 6 years, thats progress.

• Advertisement

They have won their first silverware in 6 years, thats progress.

they won the same cup Birmingham City won last year. Have they progressed too?

Nope. You said the CL is easier to qualify for, obviously. If you add in the UEFA Cup they are nearly on a par, the UEFA Cup was a well regarded cup at the time. 2nd and 3rd qualified for it so not that much different. I get it though, anything to avoid the lack of trophies at United in that time.

You oviously dont. I wasn't avoiding anything other than taking the bait. If anything its more prestigious now, in that you will have to beat better teams to win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Dalglish could have a cup double to point to at the end of the season, beating some good sides a long the way. A win is a win after all, putting out full strength teams would be the criticism I'd have of him in the cups.

This is the point that naysayers fail to grasp, or are happy to ignore, and it seems to be the same people slating Wenger for not winning a trophy in years that are now saying that Kenny's cups suddenly don't count.

Liverpool have faltered in the league mainly due to not scoring goals but they've only really begun to put in poor performances since Arsenal did that smash and grab and they knew that Europa places were all they were playing for.

IMO, they've given up on the league and while it's not fully professional, it's not that surprising either.

Focus on the cup and end the season, then let Kenny rev them up for the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

they won the same cup Birmingham City won last year. Have they progressed too?

If Arsenal won that final, it would have been absolutely viewed as progress.

gosplan wrote: »
    If Arsenal won that final, it would have been absolutely viewed as progress.

If arsenal had won that final and finished 7th in the league, would it have been viewed as progress?

You oviously dont. I wasn't avoiding anything other than taking the bait. If anything its more prestigious now, in that you will have to beat better teams to win it.

What bait? Its simple, the reason Spurs and Ipswich won UEFA Cups was because they finished 2nd or 3rd. United weren't even doing that during that time.

So EC + UEFA = CL now!

Next it'll be the standard was lower! :D

What bait? Its simple, the reason Spurs and Ipswich won UEFA Cups was because they finished 2nd or 3rd. United weren't even doing that during that time.

So EC + UEFA = CL now!

Next it'll be the standard was lower! :D

Its funny, I never heard about it being devalued or less prestigious when Liverpool won it by finishing 4th in the league.

I can't understand why Liverpool fans keep bringing Ferguson into this saying he should have been sacked. I think its fair to say that since then he has redeemed himself since.

Can we close this thread? Willmunny is even starting to make sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

"our low ebb is better than your low ebb"

is that what it's come to for Liverpool fans here?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaa :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Des wrote: »
    "our low ebb is better than your low ebb"

is that what it's come to for Liverpool fans here?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaa :D:D:D

Makes a nice change from our tragedy is more tragic than your tragedy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Morricone wrote: »
    You see unlike Chelsea, here at Liverpool Football Club we like to spend within our means, be fiscally prudent and not buy and sack our way to success.

Kenny is that you? Or are you just posting from Anfield...or Melwood?

Fuhrer wrote: »

niiiiice.

you stay classy you hear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

None are as tragic as your posts.

murpho999 wrote: »
    None are as tragic as your posts.

"I know you are but what am I?"

"I know you are but what am I?"

Not a very nice person maybe ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ohhhhh look you posted something controversial in the hope of racking up a few thanks from fellow supporters of your club. :rolleyes:

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Ohhhhh look you posted something controversial in the hope of racking up a few thanks from fellow supporters of your club. :rolleyes:

Yeah, because that would never happen from liverpool fans, would it?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74439540&postcount=3429

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

No doubt in my mind Dalglish should be persevered with for another season. Comolli needs to assert some sort of authority on transfers and balance cost with ability.

Dalglish is under scrutiny because of the transfers he has made. Nothing else in my opinion.

Carroll and to a lesser extent Downing and Henderson have simply not worked.

But it obviously wasn't a fluke result, he was consistently shyte.

I agree, but that result aside their record is similar if people want to compare, which would mean Kenny was just as consistently shyte. You said it yourself Kenny played stronger sides (I don't know this for a fact when it comes to the first rounds of the carling cup) in the competitions so maybe its unfair to be bringing up being knocked out by Northampton at home on pens.

Or the staying classy line "no matter how much you talk about us or how shíte our results and performances are, we'll always have a place in the game nobody else has or will have"

Which I questioned earlier, genuinely looking for an answer as to what that means but it got removed/deleted somehow. Maybe I didn't word my question classy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Hence me mentioning Spurs, Everton and Ipswich, UEFA or Cup Winners Cup winners, Liverpool won it twice as well during that era. United couldn't even boast about European trophies during their famine and point to them as progress.
    What I meant there was ye wouldn't have had the champions league runs under the old qualification format.
    Those runs glossed over the league form a fair bit.

Advertisement