Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yes Kenny Dalglish and Liverpool are done. MOD POST #425 *ALL READ*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Vicxas wrote: »
    Can someone clarify something for me.

IF Liverpool win the FA cup is that an automatic CL place? A friend of mine is adamant it is, Im not so sure.
    No, fairly sure it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,068 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

IF Liverpool win the FA cup is that an automatic CL place? A friend of mine is adamant it is, Im not so sure.
    That is, unfortunately, not true.

There have been calls for a few years for the FA to give their 4th CL allocation to the FA cup winner to make the competition more meaningful, but they've chosen to keep it for league positions only thus far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Most certainly not, your mate is wrong.

There is no CL place for the FA Cup, it's Europe League.

The "Top 4" go into the CL. If one of the top 4 also wins the ~FA Cup, the EL place goes to the FA Cup runners up. If that team is also already in Europe, via the league or by winning the Carling Cup, then an extra EL place opens up in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Granted the example I used was crap. His media handling has been horrendous all year, if you can't see it then I'm sorry for you. You can interpret my facts as digs all you want.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/king-rant-kenny-sees-red-over-ref-joke-calls-3074544.html
    The danger is that paranoia will set in and you think there is an agenda against our football club.
    Since a fortnight ago Dalglish had sat in the same room and claimed that Suarez's punching of the ball into the net should have been allowed, maybe paranoia is indeed stalking the corridors of Anfield

So I'll leave Monkey and Levia to it at this point and you can just fap over Kenny until the end of the year. Enjoy your Carling cup, good luck in the FA cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Granted the example I used was crap. His media handling has been horrendous all year, if you can't see it then I'm sorry for you. You can interpret my facts as digs all you want.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/king-rant-kenny-sees-red-over-ref-joke-calls-3074544.html

So I'll leave Monkey and Levia to it at this point and you can just fap over Kenny until the end of the year. Enjoy your Carling cup, good luck in the FA cup

I wouldnt mock the Carling cup, I know big clubs dont bother with it but it's whats having Liverpool playing European football next season, where the mighty Gerrard will take on the likes of Greek giants 'PAOK' or Austrian Galacticos 'Salzburg'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I don't pay attention to interviews. What he says and thinks behind closed doors is probably different to what he's saying to the media!

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I wouldnt mock the Carling cup, I know big clubs dont bother with it but it's whats having Liverpool playing European football next season, where the mighty Gerrard will take on the likes of Greek giants 'PAOK' or Austrian Galacticos 'Salzburg'.

Could also be Arsenal if Chelsea win the Champions League??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Platini is a supporter of such a change, that's were your mate probably got confused:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/may/24/michel-platini-champions-league-fa-cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Platini is a supporter of such a change, that's were your mate probably got confused:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/may/24/michel-platini-champions-league-fa-cup

I am a big supporter of such a change .

It would give back something to the fans in that not so long ago the game was all about winning Silverwear and titles , but the CL has diluted that because now the holy grail is CL qualification which the majority of teams/fans will not see any silverwear from .

It's a sad day for football when CL qualification gets worn like a badge when a cracking tournament like the FA Cup has it's appeal weakened.

Just imagine the intensity of FA Cup games if not only the cup you take home but also a place in Europe .
    It would be like a mini CL tournament within the PL :)
    Not to mention all the surprises the FA Cup throws up when a lesser team goes on a run .

I hope Platini gets his way .

It does kinda suck that finishing fourth is cause for greater celebration than actually winning something, but that's the way the modern game has gone. It's all about the finance!!!

Anyway, forget about the FA Cup, i reckon you should get Champions League qualification for winning the League Cup!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

But there is a place in Europe for winning it.
    The right one aswell.
    The league will show the 4 best teams in the country,they're who the FA want representing them in the big European competition if they want to keep their allocation of 4 places.

If you let the FA cup winner (or runner up if the winner has already qualified) in,then you are risking letting inferior teams represent the league.
    What happens then when if the allocation goes to only 3 places??
    Does the league only get 2 and the cup 1??
    It's grand the way it is.

I agree with Cambo!! (I just shuddered!! :))

monkey9 wrote: »
    I agree with Cambo!! (I just shuddered!! :))
    Ha,I'll turn yous all to my way of thinking,every last one of ya!!!!!! :pac:

cambo2008 wrote: »
    But there is a place in Europe for winning it.
    The right one aswell.
    The league will show the 4 best teams in the country,they're who the FA want representing them in the big European competition if they want to keep their allocation of 4 places.

If you let the FA cup winner (or runner up if the winner has already qualified) in,then you are risking letting inferior teams represent the league.
    What happens then when if the allocation goes to only 3 places??
    Does the league only get 2 and the cup 1??
    It's grand the way it is.

I couldn't disagree more , so we will agree to disagree .

The "Champions" league is about Champions of each league.

If an inferior team wins the FA Cup are they not worthy of the title "FA Champions" just because they are not from the PL top four or PL in general ?

I can't ever remember the "Champions of 4th" can you ?

This is gone wildly off topic .. Someone start a thread

Now back in thread ...

Is Kenny fooked ?

Leiva wrote: »
    I couldn't disagree more , so we will agree to disagree .

The "Champions" league is about Champions of each league.

If an inferior team wins the FA Cup are they not worthy of the title "FA Champions" just because they are not from the PL top four or PL in general ?

I can't ever remember the the "Champions of 4th" can you ?
    If you want to be that pedantic about it well then it's league champions and has never been champions of any other cup.
    It's champions league in name only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think the Champions of 4th Place should get a small tacky trophy - the sort you see on sideboards in GAA households.

If you want to be that pedantic about it well then it's league champions and has never been champions of any other cup.
    It's champions league in name only.

Well thats not what the man at the top thinks , and I tend to agree...
    Michel Platini
    They are champions as they have won a trophy and this is the Champions League. But it's complicated and very difficult."

The current setup just galvanises the current monopoly each year .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Is Kenny fooked ?

More or less, the only thing I would be concerned about is the calibre of manager we could bring in to replace him. With no CL football, it's going to be difficult to entice the top echelon of managers. The owners would have to make assurances about the size of the transfer kitty available.

Also, Kenny's not in this alone, Comolli has a lot to answer as well. Plus, if we sacked Kenny, it would be likely that Steve Clarke would be going out the door as well which is a damn shame given that I think he's vastly improved the defence.

Taking all this into account, I'd be willing to give Kenny until January. However, a huge departure is required from the current transfer policy. Forget this buy English bollox and take a leaf out of how Newcastle have been acquiring players.

For me, the four teams representing the league should be the four best teams from that league!!!

Well thats not what the man at the top thinks , and I tend to agree...
    Michel Platini
    They are champions as they have won a trophy and this is the Champions League. But it's complicated and very difficult."
    This is the same man who wants the 2022 world cup to be played in Winter,mid-season and gives his full backing to playing it in Qatar.
    The only good decision the suits at the top of the game made in my memory is the back pass rule.

• Advertisement

This is the same man who wants the 2022 world cup to be played in Winter,mid-season and gives his full backing to playing it in Qatar.
    The only good decision the suits at the top of the game made in my memory is the back pass rule.

Nah your getting him mixed up with Blatter.

Platini is just waiting in the wings.

Nah your getting him mixed up with Blatter.

Platini is just waiting in the wings.
    Blatters idea but Platini has publicly given it his backing.

Let's backtrack to your other post that says agree to disagree :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I am a big supporter of such a change .

It would give back something to the fans in that not so long ago the game was all about winning Silverwear and titles , but the CL has diluted that because now the holy grail is CL qualification which the majority of teams/fans will not see any silverwear from .

It's a sad day for football when CL qualification gets worn like a badge when a cracking tournament like the FA Cup has it's appeal weakened.

Just imagine the intensity of FA Cup games if not only the cup you take home but also a place in Europe .
    It would be like a mini CL tournament within the PL :)
    Not to mention all the surprises the FA Cup throws up when a lesser team goes on a run .

I hope Platini gets his way .

It would be a magnificent change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

I do think Liverpool need and could see a massive overhaul in the summer. I would not be suprised to see Kenny move into the background and a new manager come in. Also, wouldnt be suprised to see Suarez move on after the furoe earlier this year. I think Maxi, Kuyt, Aurelio, Aqualini, Doni, Jones and Cole are all out the door and Poulsen will finally be off the wage bill.

I would think Carroll will be kept as will Henderson, Adam, Downing etc. IMO Liverpool need to add some class players to the side to push these guys into squad roles rather than important first team players. TBF Downing has shown some improvements lately as well.

There are links on other sites from 'ITK's' that Liverpool are looking for Soldado and Munain as well as Gaston Ramirez. Cant say I know a whole pile about any of these players. With Man City's collapse i'm sure they will have a clear out with some very good players becoming available. The perenially linked Adam Johnson may be one that gets squeezed out at Eastlands.

For Liverpool to be competitive with the top 2 I reckon they'd need to invest hugely in playing resources around the £70 million mark. Cant see that happening but they will have to make a big splash at some stage to bring them back to the table

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

2000–01 Liverpool
    2001–02 Arsenal
    2002–03 Arsenal
    2003–04 Manchester United
    2004–05 Arsenal
    2005–06 Liverpool
    2006–07 Chelsea
    2007–08 Portsmouth
    2008–09 Chelsea
    2009–10 Chelsea
    2010–11 Manchester City

Appeal weakened ?

Most of those teams would probably have qualified for the CL through the league already, so who would get their places if such a thing existed that FA Cup winners qualified for the CL ?
    The 'top' clubs are pretty much dominating both domestic cups these days bar the odd Portsmouth/Birmingham win, and that isn't going to change anytime soon imo.

d22ontour wrote: »
    Most of those teams would probably have qualified for the CL through the league already, so who would get their places if such a thing existed that FA Cup winners qualified for the CL ?
    The 'top' clubs are pretty much dominating both domestic cups these days bar the odd Portsmouth/Birmingham win, and that isn't going to change anytime soon imo.
    If we went by that we would have had Stoke,Everton and Portsmouth twice qualifying for the champions league in the last 4 years.That's assuming you give it to the runner up.

The year before that United and Chelsea contested the final,both had already qualified so what happens there???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hopefully tonight's result goes some way to securing Kenneth's long term future at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Hopefully tonight's result goes some way to securing Kenneth's long term future at the club.

Shouldn't you be off somewhere flicking a coin to decide when you're in the Mancini in or out camp?

Liverpool and Kenny are not done. Next thread update: Saturday afternoon!!

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Shouldn't you be off somewhere flicking a coin to decide when you're in the Mancini in or out camp?

I'd have thought that, given your blue leanings, you'd be doing something similar ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I'd have thought that, given your blue leanings, you'd be doing something similar ;)

What do you give a bollox for anyway, the billions city have spent will keep them up 2nd or 3rd for years.

The King's interview after the game -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Billions now is it?

niallo27 wrote: »
    What do you give a bollox for anyway, the billions city have spent will keep them up 2nd or 3rd for years.

Our season's over while others have something to play for, i.e. a top 10 finish. Midtable is where the action is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Sorry to be off topic here, but a quick question, have we had a "Are Harry Redknapp and Spurs done?" thread yet?

Seems like the oul fella is coming down the other side of that crest of a wave he was on.

Big win for Kenny tonight, Andy Carroll eh? Kop legend?

Blackburn are really in trouble now, thought Kenny trying to walk out of the interview was quite funny also. He normally entertains :)

• Advertisement

Seems the King is not, in fact, done..... Making a tit of himself every time he's interviewed.

Kenny seemingly flipped a coin trying to decide if the interview was over or not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

kryogen wrote: »
    Sorry to be off topic here, but a quick question, have we had a "Are Harry Redknapp and Spurs done?" thread yet?

Seems like the oul fella is coming down the other side of that crest of a wave he was on.

Big win for Kenny tonight, Andy Carroll eh? Kop legend?

Blackburn are really in trouble now, thought Kenny trying to walk out of the interview was quite funny also. He normally entertains :)

Was actually wondering the same thing, I think it is disguised as the 'Will Harry get the England job?' thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

The King's interview after the game -

My god, he gets more embarrassing by the week. Horrible person.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Was actually wondering the same thing, I think it is disguised as the 'Will Harry get the England job?' thread.

Maybe changed that title to Are Harry and the England links done??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Seems the King is not, in fact, done..... Making a tit of himself every time he's interviewed.

Kenny seemingly flipped a coin trying to decide if the interview was over or not!

I thought someone came over to him and he went to greet him. Interviewer asked a question and he wnet back and finished the interview. He was actually nearly laughing. From another camera angle it could have looked fairly normal.
    Hardly making a tit of himself, but whatever fella.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

fullstop wrote: »

They're all out tonight....:rolleyes:

ShamoBuc wrote: »

I thought someone came over to him and he went to greet him. Interviewer asked a question and he wnet back and finished the interview. He was actually nearly laughing. From another camera angle it could have looked fairly normal.
    Hardly making a tit of himself, but whatever fella.

Whatever fella indeed. Watch it again and LISTEN this time. He tries to end the interview. It's as obvious as day. He was hostile the whole time.

You really don't think he's made a tit of himself? His PR skills are worse than Charlie Sheens!
    ShamoBuc wrote: »

They're all out tonight....:rolleyes:

Learn to multiquote. This is 2012 not 1977-90....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

A horrible person because he doesn't want to talk to that rag Sky??? Sky are the horrible people. No wonder he doesn't want to talk to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

After what Burton did to Carragher it's hardly surprising Dalglish has no time for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I'm not having a go, but the man does need to chill a bit. He seems tense and confrontational in every interview, no wonder he's aged about 10 years in his 15 months(?) in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,995 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He is clearly not happy with certain sections of the media and the way he and the club have been portrayed this season. I think he has every right to act the way he does at the moment.

Its the fools who give a **** about a post match interview that irk me.

Learn to multiquote. This is 2012 not 1977-90....
    :rolleyes:

The second quote was posted as I typed the first one, hence 2 posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Horrible person.

In a week where a player punched an opponent off-the-ball and another got away scot free with a potential career ending tackle, this is uttered about someone who simply wanted to end a post match interview.

That Dalglish eh, bloody Hitler reborn.

Managers don't have to answer certain questions if they don't want. It's a bit like Ferguson having a go at the reporter earlier in the season for suggesting Utd were struggling in their Champions League campaign before walking off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

eagle eye wrote: »
    He is clearly not happy with certain sections of the media and the way he and the club have been portrayed this season. I think he has every right to act the way he does at the moment.

Its the fools who give a **** about a post match interview that irk me.

The level of offence at such a trivial thing is baffling. Some posters will have to give their twisted knickers a good ironing in the morning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement