Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yes Kenny Dalglish and Liverpool are done. MOD POST #425 *ALL READ*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Once they won the Carling Cup and got a place in Europe they had feck all left to play for.
    A CL spot was never realistic

They are just winding down the league games, why anyone is taking any heed of their league performances I really don't know.

Are you serious?

Why is anyone taking heed of their league performances? I'd step back for a second and realise the complete lunacy of that question.

A CL spot was never realistic you say? Well everybody from the owners, the manager and the players made clear the clubs main ambition this year was for CL football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Once they won the Carling Cup and got a place in Europe they had feck all left to play for.
    A CL spot was never realistic

They are just winding down the league games, why anyone is taking any heed of their league performances I really don't know.

So, Liverpools ambitions this season after spending 100 million on new players was the same as Birminghams last season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Waiting for Mr Alan to arrive and tell us again how Dalglish is definitely the right man for the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I just can't see why they gave him another season. He did what was needed last year, got the dressing room on his side and ended up with a respectable league finish, that should've been the end of it.

More importantly though, whoever dreamt up the transfer policy etc. needs to be gone from the club. Net spend doesn't explain the quality of signings that have been made. There's also been a suggestion that the signing of Carroll was done because it was the last signing that could be made that wouldn't count under FFP. It's no justification. Why not just throw a few million on a fire, sure it wouldn't have made a dent in FFP(!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

amacachi wrote: »
    I just can't see why they gave him another season. He did what was needed last year, got the dressing room on his side and ended up with a respectable league finish, that should've been the end of it.

More importantly though, whoever dreamt up the transfer policy etc. needs to be gone from the club. Net spend doesn't explain the quality of signings that have been made. There's also been a suggestion that the signing of Carroll was done because it was the last signing that could be made that wouldn't count under FFP. It's no justification. Why not just throw a few million on a fire, sure it wouldn't have made a dent in FFP(!)

They won't like that. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭token56

Only party right, think we're third behind the Manchester team for conceeding, but yip, couldn't score in a free night at a brothel.

But they have at least one player who should be scoring, Suarez. When you consider his goal to game ratio for Ajax before he went to liverpool it was excellent. But its dropped significantly, from about 3 goals every 4 games to 1 every 3 games approximately. Whatever system they are playing should be suited to him as he is an excellent player despite how much I dislike him as a person.

Apart from Suarez though they lack strength in depth for goal scorers certainly. Carroll just is not performing and there is no other obvious player who you would see as a consistent goal threat. Whoever is in charge during the summer certainly needs to address that area for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Absolutely no attack through the middle of the pitch. Everything goes to the wings then gets crossed. The centre-mids pass the ball to the wings then run into the box and that's the extent of Liverpool's attack.

Considering the amount of money the manager has spent he has serious questions to answer. I'm all for sticking with a manager but Dalglish has had a massive war chest from which to arm the squad and despite splurging there ain't a whole lot of results to back it up. Endure for the rest of the season though, see if there is something to build on for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

quarryman wrote: »
    Waiting for Mr Alan to arrive and tell us again how Dalglish is definitely the right man for the job.

I think you'll find that Mr Alan told you's Rafa Benitez was the right man for the job. Yet Man U fans informed him that Rafa was a joke, doing a sh!t job but that you's all hoped he stayed on because he was so bad.

Unfortunately for you's, Rafa left. And look how Liverpool have flourished!!

token56 wrote: »
    When you consider his goal to game ratio for Ajax before he went to liverpool it was excellent. But its dropped significantly, from about 3 goals every 4 games to 1 every 3 games approximately.

Anybody can score in Holland. Kezman, Afonso Alves.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    They won't like that. :D

What are ya on about? There's nothing they like talking about more. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭frank9901

i think he is out of his depth,it seems he just bought players who were getting good press at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Anybody can score in Holland. Kezman, Afonso Alves.

Van Nistlerooy, Bergkamp

frank9901 wrote: »
    i think he is out of his depth,it seems he just bought players who were getting good press at the time

That still doesn't explain the Henderson transfer, as he was playing awful stuff going back as far as the friendly between England and France in 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I just wish Bambooziling wasn't banned after his pre-season predictions.

On topic though, I'm not sure anymore it's Kenny anymore.
    His players have really let him down Suarez and Carroll have been very dissapointing upfront.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Thread lacks Flancrest.

Also, I see plasmaguy has changed his tone after 1 result. His clear lack of football knowledge will have him on my ignore list :D :pac:

• Advertisement

THFC wrote: »
    Thread lacks Flancrest.

Also, I see plasmaguy has changed his tone after 1 result. His clear lack of football knowledge will have him on my ignore list :D :pac:

Why bother having an ignore list?

Are people not mentally strong enough to ignore people without the function?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

amiable wrote: »
    Why bother having an ignore list?

Are people not mentally strong enough to ignore people without the function?
    It was a joke boss.

THFC wrote: »
    It was a joke boss.

I don't spot every post on the soccer forum :p

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

People say Liverpool aren't relevant, yet a lot of fans of other teams seem more interested in Liverpool's woes than their own teams performance. Lives should be acquired imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

5starpool wrote: »
    People say Liverpool aren't relevant, yet a lot of fans of other teams seem more interested in Liverpool's woes than their own teams performance. Lives should be acquired imo.

You're being over the top big time. Its football and this kind of thing is part of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Oranage2 wrote: »
    if a club spends 100+ million even a newly promoted team I'd expect some sort of top 4 challenge.

Would you not also think that club that sells ~£85m of talent would finish outside the top 4 though? It all has to be considered.

I was very sceptical when he was given the job full time, but under the circumstances, the league finish and performances in the 2nd part of last season were more than respectable.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Would you not also think that club that sells ~£85m of talent would finish outside the top 4 though? It all has to be considered.

Arsenal sold £71million for a net spend of about -£20million and have a chance at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Reporter; "Kenny, what hopes have you got for Raheem Sterling?"

Kenny; "My hope is you'll have a bit of common sense."

Wow, he really has lost the plot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Reporter; "Kenny, what hopes have you got for Raheem Sterling?"

Kenny; "My hope is you'll have a bit of common sense."

Wow, he really has lost the plot.

That quotes a week old. OldMunny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

DalglishvHodgson-LEAGUE.png

Liverpool Kop are not happy.

"The progress myth"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

"The progress myth"
    web_counter_stats.jpg

Arsenal sold £71million for a net spend of about -£20million and have a chance at it.

... and a lot of people expected them to drop out of the top 4 as a result. Newcastle have done really well in the transfer market in terms of money spent and recouped also, and lots of people were still on Mike Ashley's back about spending the Carroll money at the start of the season. Yet there they are pushing for 4th. If you only look at transfer fees, especially only at outgoings, you're not really going to get a clear picture of where a club should be finishing. I'm not sticking up for Dalglish's tranfer activities, I'm just saying transfer outgoings shouldn't be the yardstick for a team.

"The progress myth"

Interesting to note how low the chance conversion rate was under Hodgson. Don't remember him being cut any slack for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Really show Roy Hodgson was given no money and yet did no worst then a man that spent 37 million NET.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Really show Roy Hodgson was given no money and yet did no worst then a man that spent 37 million NET.

So they're both sh1te? Or average? Fair enough, let's move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Ah stop man its not healthy, 117 posts in the two threads, what can you possibly be saying.

I'm not his biggest fan, but in defence of Dalglish, he turned the team's form around last season after seeing the club's talismanic star striker sold to a rival, got them playing much better football and represented the club with aplomb in press conferences in that time, never blamed the fans for a defeat, and led the team to a Carling Cup and has them in the FA Cup semi final.

For the record I'd like him to step down at the end of the season regardless of what happens in the FA Cup, but there are reasons aside from those performance statistics why Dalglish is still in the job, and there are reasons aside from the team's performance why Hodgson was sacked. Hodgson didn't have the benefit of spending £37m, but in every conceivable way he was an absolute disaster of an appointment for Liverpool regardless of money spent and the perils the club faced at the time, and he deserved to be sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Newcastle away is not an easy game.

Y'know seeing as it is the game that pretty much precipitated this thread kicking off again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Sappy404 wrote: »
    I'm not his biggest fan, but in defence of Dalglish, he turned the team's form around last season after seeing the club's talismanic star striker sold to a rival, got them playing much better football and represented the club with aplomb in press conferences in that time, never blamed the fans for a defeat, and led the team to a Carling Cup and has them in the FA Cup semi final.

For the record I'd like him to step down at the end of the season regardless of what happens in the FA Cup, but there are reasons aside from those performance statistics why Dalglish is still in the job, and there are reasons aside from the team's performance why Hodgson was sacked. Hodgson didn't have the benefit of spending £37m, but in every conceivable way he was an absolute disaster of an appointment for Liverpool regardless of money spent and the perils the club faced at the time, and he deserved to be sacked.

He deserves credit for not blaming the fans for any defeats :confused:

cson wrote: »
    Newcastle away is not an easy game.

Y'know seeing as it is the game that pretty much precipitated this thread kicking off again.

And defeat would probably be more acceptable if this hadn't been the 6th defeat in 7 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

The-Rigger wrote: »

I think he may be referring to Hodgsons rant at the fans...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Bring back Flancrest.

Anyway, may as well.

-|P|W|D|L|F|A|GD|Win%|Points|PPG
    Last season|20|7|4|9|24|27|-3|35|25|1.25
    This season|31|11|9|11|36|33|+3|35|42|1.34
    Last 20 matches|20|6|5|9|22|23|+1|30|23|1.15

The-Rigger wrote: »

No, but it's something Hodgson did which bears bringing up when people are asking why Hodgson was sacked and Dalglish hasn't been when their records at this point are similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

"The progress myth"

This sums it up for me. Spot on:

uVG7H.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Exactly it's a ****ing joke and why I laugh at the simpleton in charge and some fans defense of him. I don't mind Liverpool, had a few jerseys and been to a few games when I was younger but I don't like them after all this. Hypocrites!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Exactly it's a ****ing joke and why I laugh at the simpleton in charge and some fans defense of him. I don't mind Liverpool, had a few jerseys and been to a few games when I was younger but I don't like them after all this.

Your post, is sh!t!! It's a sh!t sh!t post.

uVG7H.jpg

I thought the point of the Hodgson comparison was to suggest that Dalglish deserves to be treated the same, i.e. sacked. Are you actually saying Hodgson deserved more time at Liverpool?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Calendar-year-2012-PL.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

uVG7H.jpg

In relative terms Hodgsons league position was worse, with the potential to be absolutely catastrophic had he stayed

plus the garbage he talked about after games, where it seemed to him a point against lesser teams was a respectful 90 mins work didnt help his cause

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

john47832 wrote: »
    garbage he talked about after games
    You probably expected this but this is a genuine question... couldn't the same although different type of garbage be said about Kenny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Calendar-year-2012-PL.jpg

But the league starts in Sep and ends in May ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Can I just point out on a side note that Roy Hodgson this season at WBA has a net spent of 2 million and only 6 points off Liverpool.

I think we're finally seeing the horrible mistake it was to sack one of the great managers for some rent a hero!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Trilla wrote: »
    You probably expected this but this is a genuine question... couldn't the same although different type of garbage be said about Kenny?

The difference is that Kenny Dalglish has been outspoken that these results are not acceptable for Liverpool Football Club

Roy Hodgson was just happy to be there

Trilla wrote: »

He's been less than impressive in recent months, but Hodgson was significantly worse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement