Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yes Kenny Dalglish and Liverpool are done. MOD POST #425 *ALL READ*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Oranage2 wrote: »
    And Football is

different to Baseball

FACT

18547368.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I don't truly understand the Moneyball concept but it's an interesting idea and apart from being a Liverpool fan I'd be interested to see if it works out. I didn't think when FSG bought Liverpool that we'd win the PL straight away with this process, I was more hoping for a decent league run (oh well) but it's the first season. Lessons will be learned hopefully and over the summer theory and reality will be mulled over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Kenny Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Carragher out FFS

Who picked Carragher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

If Hodgson had selected this team, everyone would be out to get him

Two left backs available for selection and he goes with Agger so his mate Carra can get a game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

plasmaguy wrote: »
    Sven Goran Erickson, also a proven club manager, did a reasonable job at Man City.

I wouldn't wish Sven even on Sunderland. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Two left backs available for selection and he goes with Agger so his mate Carra can get a game

Love it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not quite! :p

In Kenny we trust.....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I suppose you are just going to continue to ignore the fact that a lot of us are incredibly pissed off about that so that you can continue a 'liverpool fans eh' mandate?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

What, you mean the way the team selection was criticized in the match thread? Is what you mean??? Like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Expect this thread to be very quiet today!

Two Cup finals in his first full season back with Liverpool. Quite a managerial record he has huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I hope he says on tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

I think most are happy for him to remain as manager tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Yes, the obsessives have made that quite clear!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭CSF

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Expect this thread to be very quiet today!

Two Cup finals in his first full season back with Liverpool. Quite a managerial record he has huh?
    8th in the league

CSF wrote: »
    8th in the league

2 cup finals :)

• Advertisement

So has it been a successful season?

Yes. You play to win trophies. This season means so much more to me than if we had finished fourth and not done anything in the cups. That's just the way I feel.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    2 cup finals :)
    Honestly reckon Dalglish has to win this cup final to justify being kept on for next season.

He may end up kept on anyway, but shouldn't be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Silly question really, it's far from over.
    We might go up a place or two or down a place or two in the league.
    We might lose the final.
    I'll judge it when the season is Actually over.

Cool, we'll return to it at the end I suppose. It's not far off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Yes. You play to win trophies. This season means so much more to me than if we had finished fourth and not done anything in the cups. That's just the way I feel.
    Domestic cups are great for the day that's in it and it's a great achievement to win both but if you were genuinely able to choose between 2 cups and 4th spot and all that goes with it would you really choose the former??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

CSF wrote: »
    Honestly reckon Dalglish has to win this cup final to justify being kept on for next season.

He may end up kept on anyway, but shouldn't be.

So you think whether or not he should be kept on for another season should depend entirely on 1 match? Do you not think that's a tad stupid & symptomatic of the the idiocy of modern football?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Mr Alan wrote: »
    So you think whether or not he should be kept on for another season should depend entirely on 1 match? Do you not think that's a tad stupid & symptomatic of the the idiocy of modern football?

He should be gone for his utter shambles of attempting to get 4th. But the cup final win might save him his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Domestic cups are great for the day that's in it and it's a great achievement to win both but if you were genuinely able to choose between 2 cups and 4th spot and all that goes with it would you really choose the former??

do you think when people look back that 4th spots will be listed as honours?

no, winning cups is still important and means a lot to players, any club would be happy to be in two cup finals

I suspect that he means that he will be unsackable after winning 2 cups. Only winning the CC would still give FSG the remit to get rid of him. Winning both would make it very hard.

Very hard cause it would be an utterly retarded decision, right?

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »

no, winning cups is still important and means a lot to players, any club would be happy to be in two cup finals

I suspect that we would need the opinions of some Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs fans on this. I wonder if they'd sacrifice their fourth spot for the 2 domestic cups? Genuine question. As a United fan, I would not be happy losing out on CL football for the sake of the two cups. But then United are in a different position to those clubs.

Very hard cause it would be an utterly retarded decision, right?

No it wouldn't. He has spent an absolute fortune on a side who he has taken to 8th. He has handled the press absolutely abysmally. If Andy Carroll does manage to hit form it will be in spite of Dalglish, not because of him. He has made bizarre tactical selections that have cost Liverpool points. I really don't think he is good enough to manage a club the size of Liverpool. But I hope he is kept on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I really don't think he is good enough to manage a club the size of Liverpool. But I hope he is kept on.

you do know who you are talking about and what he has achieved dont you?

No it wouldn't. He has spent an absolute fortune on a side who he has taken to 8th. He has handled the press absolutely abysmally. If Andy Carroll does manage to hit form it will be in spite of Dalglish, not because of him. He has made bizarre tactical selections that have cost Liverpool points. I really don't think he is good enough to manage a club the size of Liverpool. But I hope he is kept on.

Is it often that a ****e manager wins two of the 3 trophies they enter in a season? Just out of curiousity

A long time ago. Look, nothing has changed at Liverpool since he has taken over even though you are yet again throwing a lot of money at the team. You have been a cup team since Houllier, through the Rafa era and now with Dalglish. surely you all want more. And please don't say that you have to know your place in this big money era. Good purchases in the right areas and bringing through youth can negate this. Newcastle are proving this.

Is it often that a ****e manager wins two of the 3 trophies they enter in a season? Just out of curiousity

I never said he was ****e. It's just more of the same for Liverpool. Stagnation despite spending big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

It's an interesting debate, trophies vs CL football.

If you finish 8th and win two cups, I genuinely wonder if Arsenal fans would trade seasons with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

what for LFC to keep failing and underachieving. :p anyway kenny did really well in his first spell and only quit due to the pressure brought on by hillsborough. had he remained , LFC would probably have won the title in 91 and given how he rebuilt blackburn, brought them up etc. who knows, he would have won the PL with LFC with a new side 2/3 season later

I've already said I would on this forum. The Cups are memorable. Supporting a club is a lifetime game, and the big games and wins make it worthwhile. 4th in the league is nothing in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

smokedeels wrote: »
    If you finish 8th and win two cups, I genuinely wonder if Arsenal fans would trade seasons with you.

Not a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Cyrus wrote: »

2 cups or 4th is a no brainer for me.
    Would you not like to be back in the big time in Europe?not to mention the revenue,the opportunity to sign players that currently may not consider signing.

I would be devestated if United finished outside the top 4,2 cups would be 2 good days out in the pub or if lucky in Wembley.
    The reward for finishing in 4th carries right through the next season.

what for LFC to keep failing and underachieving. :p anyway kenny did really well in his first spell and only quit due to the pressure brought on by hillsborough. had he remained , LFC would probably have won the title in 91 and given how he rebuilt blackburn, brought them up etc. who knows, he would have won the PL with LFC with a new side 2/3 season later

I don't doubt that Dalglish was one of the best managers around in the late 80s to early 90s. He just isn't one of the best around now.

I never said he was ****e. It's just more of the same for Liverpool. Stagnation despite spending big.

Stagnation?

We haven't won a trophy in 6 years.

We've a good chance of finishing the season with 2?!

Granted our league form has been disappointing in 2012, but if we'd have gotten top 4 & won two trophies, it'd have a ****ing incredible season-like out of this ****ing world.

It takes time Gary, Dalglish is in his first full season at the club, sacking him after winning a trophy, possibly 2 and getting the club back into Europe would be beyond retarded, I can't see how anyone normal could disagree.

A long time ago. Look, nothing has changed at Liverpool since he has taken over even though you are yet again throwing a lot of money at the team. You have been a cup team since Houllier, through the Rafa era and now with Dalglish. surely you all want more. And please don't say that you have to know your place in this big money era. Good purchases in the right areas and bringing through youth can negate this. Newcastle are proving this.

Just like Spurs are too, right? :rolleyes:

Spurs and Newcastle have no trophies in the locker. If Spurs finish fifth this year and lose their manager and some key players, what exactly will there be to remember from their couple of years in the sun?

This is already a season I'll remember for a very, very long time.

2 cups or 4th is a no brainer for me.
    Would you not like to be back in the big time in Europe?not to mention the revenue,the opportunity to sign players that currently may not consider signing.

I would be devestated if United finished outside the top 4,2 cups would be 2 good days out in the pub or if lucky in Wembley.

I agree. But I also think that's part of what's wrong with football nowadays.

Well, every manager has one match that decides it all, the last match before the manager is sacked/has to quit. The one game doesn't decide it all, all the other games before that do it. Dalglish has been absolutely terrible in the league, the League Cup isn't enough to save that, reaching the FA Cup final isn't enough to save that. Thats how bad it has been in the league all season.

A cup double though, may well be enough to save Dalglish for another year. In another season that could be considered a successful year, but Liverpool have been that bad in their most important competition that it can only be considered that way if they win the final.

8th place (or even 7th for that matter), League Cup winners and FA Cup runners up should not be enough to keep Dalglish his job. FA Cup winners should just about do it but things would have to improve dramatically in the league next year.

Or you can fail in the group stages or get your ass kicked in the Bernabau.

What is accepted in modern football is warped imo. You play to win the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

He needs to stop with carragher anyways, his starting XI are baffling at times. Id be happy to see him get atleast another season anyways

Dalglish was fine in the league up till 2012, we went through a horror run of form that hopefully we're out of. If we can perform next season in the league as we have for the majority of this season & avoid a repeat of that horror run of form, we'll be there or thereabouts for the CL places next season.

There's a lot more right with Liverpool than people seemingly seem willing to accept.

• Advertisement

Stagnation?

We haven't won a trophy in 6 years.

We've a good chance of finishing the season with 2?!

Granted our league form has been disappointing in 2012, but if we'd have gotten top 4 & won two trophies, it'd have a ****ing incredible season-like out of this ****ing world.

It takes time Gary, Dalglish is in his first full season at the club, sacking him after winning a trophy, possibly 2 and getting the club back into Europe would be beyond retarded, I can't see how anyone normal could disagree.

Stagnation in the sense that you're still a cup team and aren't having any sort of crack at the league despite spending a fortune. It's more of the same in the league, if not worse. You're 15 points off fourth. Everton are above you in the league despite barely sending a cent and have had a decent crack at the FA cup as well.

And that's the point, it would seem retarded to sack someone who wins two trophies in a season. So CSF's point that winning the FA Cup will save him was justified. Because the league form for a club of Liverpool's standing will not enamour him to FSG, who are notoriously ruthless, especially when you consider how much money they have given him. They clearly aren't happy with things considering they've sacked a load of the backroom staff.

Advertisement