Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yes Kenny Dalglish and Liverpool are done. MOD POST #425 *ALL READ*

Comments

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Maybe investment was the wrong word,I don't care about the net spend nonsense,there was 100m or thereabouts spent and spent poorly.

No it was spot on actually.

Net spend nonsense... If you'd like me to be your accountant and take care of your money, let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Net spend nonsense... If you'd like me to be your accountant and take care of your money, let me know.
    Net spend does not excuse poor signings for huge money.
    It's nonsense in that sense,not in their finances obviously.

Net spend does not excuse poor signings for huge money.
    It's nonsense in that sense,not in their finances obviously.

I agree that it doesn't and but the margin between a £30m injection into a playing squad and a £100m are quite far apart.

Why football fans care about net spend is beyond me.
    You should care about who you have in your squad not how much money your owners are making or saving for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

You should care about who you have in your squad not how much money your owners are making or saving for themselves.

I cant believe this is a serious question. Not everyone is Chelsea or City, net spend matters. Some clubs need to sell to buy.

Dubit10 wrote: »
    I cant believe this is a serious question. Not everyone is Chelsea or City, net spend matters. Some clubs need to sell to buy.
    I'm not talking about getting into financial trouble.
    After selling players and with a cash injection there was a 100m to spend,it's not ok to blow it and then say sure it was really only 30m.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »
    That makes no sense,I'm sitting here watching it and posting here,same way as the people in the match thread are watching it and posting there :confused:

I'm not talking about getting into financial trouble.
    After selling players and with a cash injection there was a 100m to spend,it's not ok to blow it and then say sure it was really only 30m.

Who said anyone blew 100m?

• Advertisement

Yea,I would,what's that got to do with anything?
    It's not like Liverpool and United have history or anything :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Yea,I would,what's that got to do with anything?
    It's not like Liverpool and United have history or anything :rolleyes:

Obsessed!

Who said anyone blew 100m?
    Me,sure you quoted the post yourself :pac:
    Seriously though,it's opinion,if it makes you feel any better the point I was trying to make would be the same if I replaced blow with spend.

I don't expect us to make a huge improvement when £80m worth of players are sold concurrently with £100 million worth of players being bought, it's not realistic.

It is possible to sell well and spend well and see an improvement while threading water financially. Newcastle appear to have done just that thus far by improved this year (but there are a lot of other variables, perhaps they'll be viewed differently in 12 months time).

I care because at this rate the owners wouldn't even have to put any money into the team, they don't have to, plenty of our own fans think they have ponied up £100m too. How retarded is that?!

They could continue to rearrange the deckchairs till the end of time and these people wouldn't be able to see the difference, that's pretty irritating.

It's about expectation and managing expectation. The expectation shouldn't be that we should be making massive strides if the same policy were to continue year on year, it'd be nice if we did, but it shouldn't be expected with such a policy.

I'll tell you what it says.
    It says that I'm interested in that game because the outcome of it will have an effect on my day whether I like it or not.
    Whether its on boards or the people I meet call or text.
    This game now is not all that relevant to me.
    Is that ok with you?

I don't expect us to make a huge improvement when £80m worth of players are sold concurrently with £100 million worth of players being bought, it's not realistic.
    Fair enough if that's the way you see it.
    Personally I don't see it that way,I would expect the players sold to be replaced with similar or better not worse.

• Advertisement

I'm not winding anyone up,show me where you think I am.
    I'm putting across a point I believe in,an alternative one to what you must believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Torres and Carroll mess up that a lot. Torres was sold for £50m, Carroll bought to replace him at £35m. Ignoreing how they have performed and whatnot, thats what the intention was.

So, taking those two out, you sold £30m, but still bought £65m. Looking at those numbers, you dont expect any improvement whatsoever? If Man United did that, they'd be expected to win the league. If Arsenal or Spurs did it, they'd be expected to at least challenge for the league. Liverpool do it, and it's grand, didnt expect to mount a challenge anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Torres and Carroll mess up that a lot. Torres was sold for £50m, Carroll bought to replace him at £35m. Ignoreing how they have performed and whatnot, thats what the intention was.

So, taking those two out, you sold £30m, but still bought £65m. Looking at those numbers, you dont expect any improvement whatsoever? If Man United did that, they'd be expected to win the league. If Arsenal or Spurs did it, they'd be expected to at least challenge for the league. Liverpool do it, and it's grand, didnt expect to mount a challenge anyway?

Wow your so wrong I don't even know/think if it's worth the pixels to reply .

Great reply,really interesting view you take there.
    I have to say you have won me over,I take back everything I said in this thread and just agree with you now.
    Thanks for showing me the light.
    See ya now.

gnfnrhead wrote: »

Leiva wrote: »

I had a similar reply in mind to the above before I scrolled down and saw Levia's.

• Advertisement

Ignoring the figures the last part is quite true it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Ignoring the figures the last part is quite true it seems.

What ???

The figures is the whole neucleus of his argument , how then can the bottom part/statement be taken serious ?

That's just a silly reply from you I must say.

So let's all just make up shït hey or get things very wrong? Then post hypothetical results and just concentrate on them .

What ???

The figures is the whole neucleus of his argument , how then can the bottom part/statement be taken serious ?

That's just a silly reply from you I must say.

So let's all just make up shït hey or get things very wrong? Then post hypothetical results and just concentrate on them .
    I just meant the fact ye seem to accept not challenging the top 4 or didn't expect to be.
    When I said ignoring the figures I meant forget about that part of the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

I just meant the fact ye seem to accept not challenging the top 4 or didn't expect to be.

Every Liverpool fan I know expected to challenge for 4th and every single one is dissapointed with our dud of a league campaign. Don't know of anyone who expected 8th at this stage, nor anyone who accepts it. Everyone feels we must improve next season or Kenny should be removed as manager, a lot would even prefer for that to happen this Summer.

Every Liverpool fan I know expected to challenge for 4th and every single one is dissapointed with our dud of a league campaign. Don't know of anyone who expected 8th at this stage, nor anyone who accepts it. Everyone feels we must improve next season or Kenny should be removed as manager, a lot would even prefer for that to happen this Summer.
    Ok,that's what I expected in fairness.
    I was referring to the post further up that suggested otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

And around we go again.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

It i could put money on it now i'd say Kenny himself will make the call after this season and Benitez will replace him come the Summer. That will be followed by Carragher and possibly Gerrard moving on. Dalglish will always put the club first and if he believes he can't take LFC any further he'll step aside.

Whatever he decides i think the club is in safe hands going forward.

It's not that long ago Liverpool were 350m or so in debt and staring into oblivion under G&H.

Personally I'm enjoying seeing us in finals again after nearly seeing the club collapse only a year and a half or so ago :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

It i could put money on it now i'd say Kenny himself will make the call after this season and Benitez will replace him come the Summer. That will be followed by Carragher and possibly Gerrard moving on. Dalglish will always put the club first and if he believes he can't take LFC any further he'll step aside.

Whatever he decides i think the club is in safe hands going forward.

Shouldn't get rid of either if you have the chance. If they are properly managed and understand that they are no longer guaranteed a place then they can still be a positive influence on and off the pitch.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It's not that long ago Liverpool were 350m or so in debt and staring into oblivion under G&H.

Personally I'm enjoying seeing us in finals again after nearly seeing the club collapse only a year and a half or so ago :)

I'm sure Everton,Villa,Spurs etc.. wish they where "done" tbh. Two cup finals in a season and all that.

I'm sure Everton,Villa,Spurs etc.. wish they where "done" tbh. Two cup finals in a season and all that.

It's all about perspective in fairness.

We'll get back in the CL eventually, but if we can pick up trophies while climbing back up that ladder, happy fucking days.

No amount of negative bitter nonsense is gonna change that (for me anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

while climbing back up that ladder, happy fucking days.

You are aware that Liverpool are in a lower place now then they were last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The above can be translated as:

'Why are you trying to approach this topic logically and with reason? This is football and I can't get my cheap digs in if I actually have to think about things'.

But that doesn't matter, who cares if you nearly went out of business? You didn't, and you are still here. But are now a midtable club going backwards having spent the deficit of a third world nation on Andy Carlol. It's not that I hate Liverpool, great club - it's just so sad to see how far ye have fallen. A team happy at winning cups when they used to challenge for the league (well, two decades ago now lol).

Just such a delusional fanbase - if Hodgson had got the same results as Queen Kenny you would have tarred and feathered him and rode him out on a rail.

Always someone elses fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    But that doesn't matter, who cares if you nearly went out of business? You didn't, and you are still here. But are now a midtable club going backwards having spent the deficit of a third world nation on Andy Carlol. It's not that I hate Liverpool, great club - it's just so sad to see how far ye have fallen. A team happy at winning cups when they used to challenge for the league (well, two decades ago now lol).

Just such a delusional fanbase - if Hodgson had got the same results as Queen Kenny you would have tarred and feathered him and rode him out on a rail.

Always someone elses fault.

Woah take a breath.

This is an incredibly childish and silly post, the type that must be regretted later in the day. 'Carlol' 'Queen Kenny', let's not.

• Advertisement

Vudgie wrote: »
    Woah take a breath.

This is an incredibly childish and silly post, the type that must be regretted later in the day. 'Carlol' 'Queen Kenny', let's not.

Contact a technician immediately.

Your sarcasm detector is broken :)

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Contact a technician immediately.

Your sarcasm detector is broken :)

Haha, noted.

Good practice though, and in my defence it is Monday:o

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The above can be translated as:

'Why are you trying to approach this topic logically and with reason? This is football and I can't get my cheap digs in if I actually have to think about things'.
    No you're wrong there,a little melodramatic too I might add.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Just such a delusional fanbase
    Ridiculous generalising right there.
    Most of us know full well we are way off the pace in the league,money spent etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Dcully wrote: »
    Most of us know full well we are way off the pace in the league,money spent etc.

Newcastle get the same label. A few delusional fans means "delusional fans". See the chelsea minutes silence post for more generalisation!

Dcully wrote: »

Ah come off it buddy. All the Liverpool fans I know thought ye would win the league this year with Kenneth back at the helm! :D And then you have the lads on here going on about rubbish like net spend all the time. No doubt next year will be your year - the peak of the boom should come in the summer anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Question for those who are very anti-Kenny:

If Liverpool were having a season like Newcastle, (no cup runs but challenging for 4th) and ultimately failed to get Champions League, finishing 5th or 6th, would you think it's been as bad a season?

Of the 2 realistic trophies we have had a chance of winning, we've won one and are in the final of another.

The League form has been very disappointing, and to not even challenge for 4th is definitely a failure, but you'd swear some people think the league is the be all and end all. 'The League table is the only true barometer of where you are as a club'. I've heard this type of line peddled a few times. So United's poor Cup runs get ignored as do Liverpool's good cup runs. Convenient

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Fuhrer wrote: »
    You are aware that Liverpool are in a lower place now then they were last year?

When the standard of the league is apparently so much worse :p

O Doyle Rules!

Morzadec wrote: »

If Liverpool were having a season like Newcastle, (no cup runs but challenging for 4th) and ultimately failed to get Champions League, finishing 5th or 6th, would you think it's been as bad a season?

Of the 2 realistic trophies we have had a chance of winning, we've won one and are in the final of another.

The League form has been very disappointing, and to not even challenge for 4th is definitely a failure, but you'd swear some people think the league is the be all and end all. 'The League table is the only true barometer of where you are as a club'. I've heard this type of line peddled a few times. So United's poor Cup runs get ignored as do Liverpool's good cup runs. Convenient

So 5th and no trophies, or 7/8th with one trophy and 90 mins away from another?

Tough one that :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Morzadec wrote: »

I agree with some of what yu are saying here, but Uniteds poor cup runs have nothing to do with Liverpool and bringing them into it is only going to lead to stupid bitching, Uniteds poor performance in cups this season is a failure, of course it is, but if the team go on to win the league that is the main priority for me and most United fans so the season will have been a successful one in the end.

If Liverpool go on to win two cups, and finish poorly in the table (outside European places) it will also be a positive step forward, but I would add that for this to be the case the FA cup must also be won, reaching the final is not going to save the season from being a poor one. The CC is nice to win, but the season United won just that I viewed it is an abject failure of a season.

The league form has been woeful for you since christmas, something is going wrong there and of course the league is the best barometer to judge a team since anybody can win a one off cup game, over the course of 38 games, playing all opponents twice is surely a better way of determining where a club is at that point in time, the league table never lies as they say.

Liverpool end this season with the FA cup and the CC and Kenneth should get another season on merit, it will have been the first season in a long time that the club finishes with silverware so he would deserve another go at the league.

Advertisement