Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yes Kenny Dalglish and Liverpool are done. MOD POST #425 *ALL READ*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

rarnes1 wrote: »
    So 5th and no trophies, or 7/8th with one trophy and 90 mins away from another?

Tough one that :)

Really? Sure Everton are a better club than ye now, a one off cup match can't change that. League table doesn't lie you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

kryogen wrote: »
    If Liverpool go on to win two cups, and finish poorly in the table (outside European places) it will also be a positive step forward.

In fairness, you could twist both points and put a negative slant or positive one on it. They spent a lot, have been searching for a league title for over 20 years, brought to penalties vs a championship in the league cup final and could have lost, they haven't won the fa cup yet. So there is a chance Liverpool could finish 9th or 10th in the league without having a european campaign and got very lucky in a carling cup final against Cardiff.

On the other hand everything is rosey and lets all rejoice in two trophies, European qualification, strengthen the squad in the summer and build on the league form which wasn't cared about for the last month or so.

We all know that Liverpool have been nowhere near good enough this season and the majority of new signings have not produced. Who's to blame for that? Do they need more time?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Really? Sure Everton are a better club than ye now, a one off cup match can't change that. League table doesn't lie you know.

Maybe we could exchange our final spot for their league position?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Newcastle have had a tremenjeous season regardless of what happens now. They have overachieved, Liverpool have underachieved even with two cup finals, even with two cups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Morzadec wrote: »
    Question for those who are very anti-Kenny:

If Liverpool were having a season like Newcastle, (no cup runs but challenging for 4th) and ultimately failed to get Champions League, finishing 5th or 6th, would you think it's been as bad a season?

Of the 2 realistic trophies we have had a chance of winning, we've won one and are in the final of another.

The League form has been very disappointing, and to not even challenge for 4th is definitely a failure, but you'd swear some people think the league is the be all and end all. 'The League table is the only true barometer of where you are as a club'. I've heard this type of line peddled a few times. So United's poor Cup runs get ignored as do Liverpool's good cup runs. Convenient
    It's all relevant to the club you're talking about.
    At the start of the season staying in the league would have been seen as progress for Newcastle,they have massively overachieved and therefore any top 10 place and 2 cups would also have been massively overachieving.

Liverpool have massively underachieved in the league but been excellent in the cups.
    Is it progress?
    In a way yes and in a way no.
    It's progress in that there's a chance of finishing the season with 2 cups.
    On the other hand the club are even further away from where they want to be and where the owners and a lot of fans expected to be.

Edit:Same view as Mike......should I be worried? :D

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Maybe we could exchange our final spot for their league position?

Ye maybe you could? Why don't you ask them? I think you should.

Hi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Question for those who are very anti-Kenny:

If Liverpool were having a season like Newcastle, (no cup runs but challenging for 4th) and ultimately failed to get Champions League, finishing 5th or 6th, would you think it's been as bad a season?

Of the 2 realistic trophies we have had a chance of winning, we've won one and are in the final of another.

The League form has been very disappointing, and to not even challenge for 4th is definitely a failure, but you'd swear some people think the league is the be all and end all. 'The League table is the only true barometer of where you are as a club'. I've heard this type of line peddled a few times. So United's poor Cup runs get ignored as do Liverpool's good cup runs. Convenient

2 years ago newcastle were in the championship. That's why their season is considered succesful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Maybe I didn't make it clear, I was just using Newcastle's season as an example not Newcastle the club. (i.e. a team that have had no cup run but is challenging for 4th). Newcastle have obviously done incredibly well, they could lose every match now 5-0 until the end of the season and still have had a great season. And a much better one than Liverpool considering expectations.

I'm just saying that perhaps if Liverpool had failed in the cups but were still challenging for 4th in the league this thread might not exist, which I think is strange.

And of course United's season is a success if they win the league despite the cup failures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Its simply because league position is more highly rated then cup competitions, domestically certainly, which is right imo over the course of a season to judge a team, but you give a fan the choice of finishing 5th and no trophy or 8th and the FA cup and Im sure they would pick 8th and the cup, still gets you into Europe, but the Champions League is the holy grail for clubs, this is not just from fans. All the clubs are desperate to get into the CL and to get the money that comes with that.

It was Liverpools stated ambition from the owner wasnt it? Thats why its relevant, if they were in 4th then Kenny would be on target to fulfill the owners demands. The thread would not be in any way relevant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

kryogen wrote: »
    Its simply because league position is more highly rated then cup competitions, domestically certainly, which is right imo over the course of a season to judge a team, but you give a fan the choice of finishing 5th and no trophy or 8th and the FA cup and Im sure they would pick 8th and the cup, still gets you into Europe, but the Champions League is the holy grail for clubs, this is not just from fans. All the clubs are desperate to get into the CL and to get the money that comes with that.

It was Liverpools stated ambition from the owner wasnt it? Thats why its relevant, if they were in 4th then Kenny would be on target to fulfill the owners demands. The thread would not be in any way relevant

Agreed. The cups are just a random chance thing rather than the more consistant measure of the league, which every team aims to do well in at the start of the season.
    Teams like Liverpool would have had a target of "finish 4th or higher", not "win the carling cup" as a priority. Cups are icing, not the cake :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Maybe I didn't make it clear, I was just using Newcastle's season as an example not Newcastle the club. (i.e. a team that have had no cup run but is challenging for 4th). Newcastle have obviously done incredibly well, they could lose every match now 5-0 until the end of the season and still have had a great season. And a much better one than Liverpool considering expectations.

I'm just saying that perhaps if Liverpool had failed in the cups but were still challenging for 4th in the league this thread might not exist, which I think is strange.

And of course United's season is a success if they win the league despite the cup failures.
    Ah right. Read that wrong.
    I think liverpool were expecting to have a season similar to newcastles. But what season would I prefer if I was a pool fan? I don't know tbh. If liverpool lose the cup final and newcastle finish 5th, I definitely think newcastle. If newcastle finish 5th and liverpool win the fa cup, then liverpool. If liverpool win the cup and newcastle finish 4th, then newcastle.

So,question for those of you who are pro-Kenny.
    Would you give up the Carling cup and your place in the final of the FA cup to swap places with either Newcastle or Tottenham?

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Would you give up the Carling cup and your place in the final of the FA cup to swap places with either Newcastle or Tottenham?

Nope. I am satisfied that our medium term prospects are superior to both those clubs tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Hmm borderline decision...Probably would swap places with Spurs yeah. They have a nice run of fixtures and will probably take 4th. They have a better chance of 4th than us winning the FA Cup.

By the way I wouldn't say I'm pro-Kenny as such...The league form has been very disappointing but as I said, we could only realistically win 2 trophies this year and we could win both.

I'm kind of on the fence, but I don't think he's as bad as many are making out.

Also the only people whose opinions matter are the owners. You could say they would be very disappointed with the league form and signings, but having trimmed a lot of wages and taken in money as well as spent, they really haven't invested all that much into the club. I'm sure they would be happy with 2 cups, and we can still reach a points tally where we can at least say we haven't regressed in the league.

Nope. I am satisfied that our medium term prospects are superior to both those clubs tbh.
    In what way are they superior?

In what way are they superior?

Financially

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

No chance.

Financially
    You sure love your teams bank balance :D
    My question was would you swap positions nothing to do with finances.
    Take the question again and you still have your kit deal etc.

I wouldn't swap positions from a competitive perspective as I (and others) have already noted a couple of times on this thread. Winning trophies is where it is at imo.

And in terms of the overall position of the clubs, we have a basic platform to build off. If Spurs don't reverse their current form quickly, they could have a very tough summer indeed.

Newcastle have done extraordinarily well, but it remains to be seen whether form can be maintained and if the club can continue to invest in the squad or find undervalued gems.

I wouldn't swap positions from a competitive perspective as I (and others) have already noted a couple of times on this thread. Winning trophies is where it is at imo.

And in terms of the overall position of the clubs, finances come into it in a huge way and we are in a solid position. If Spurs don't reverse their current form quickly, they could have a very tough summer indeed.
    Look,fair enough you have got back among the silverware,that's obviously a good thing but I would say you are in a minority of Liverpool fans that have the view you do.
    Winning trophies is not just where it's at.
    You couldn't really be happy to win the Carling Cup year after year while finishing outside the top 4.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Hey watch it now, that kit deal is like a trophy and should'nt be scoffed at.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

You couldn't really be happy to win the Carling Cup year after year while finishing outside the top 4.

i'm not a Kenny apologist or anything, but i don't think ANYONE is happy with the above scenario.

but in the interim, getting a trophy or 2 on the way to the top 4 is very welcome.

for me, it won't save Kenny his job, but i will take it over being 5th and no trophies. because of the modern game, and the financial rewards, a manager at a club like Liverpool has to be judged primarily on his league form.

the owners will be ruthless if needs be, so we'll see what they think when the time comes.

but in the interim, getting a trophy or 2 on the way to the top 4 is very welcome.

My feelings exactly.

I'd be suprised if Kenny was let go if we win the FA cup too, shocked actually.

SlickRic wrote: »

i'm not a Kenny apologist or anything, but i don't think ANYONE is happy with the above scenario.

for me, it won't save Kenny his job, but i will take it over being 5th and no trophies. because of the modern game, and the financial rewards, a manager at a club like Liverpool has to be judged primarily on his league form.

the owners will be ruthless if needs be, so we'll see what they think when the time comes.
    I agree,I'm curious to know if LL does.

Curious to know what? How many times do I need to write it ITT?

I am interested in winning things (league included obviously!). As such, I would prefer to win things this year than scrape fourth in the CL when we would have little or no chance of competing in it the following season.

I believe we will get back into the CL soon enough, and back in such a way that we'll be giving teams a rattle at the business end of it. But for now, we are getting to the final stage of what is possible for us to win (not taking Chelsea for granted mind), and that will do nicely for now.

Curious to know what? How many times do I need to write it ITT?
    Curious to know if you were happy to finish the next few seasons in a similar fashion to this,where winning trophies is where it's at and 5th-10th place doesn't really matter.

I get it,you're not.
    From your other posts it seemed you were.

SlickRic wrote: »

^ = SENSE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Aquila wrote: »
    After todays game,will the board decide enough is enough?or will they wait till after the cup final?or will Kenny be given the chance to bring Liverpool up another level?
    He won't be going anywhere til after the final. That's pretty much definite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I think that when Kenny took the job, his plan was to get Liverpool back into the top 4, get the squad into reasonable shape for the future and any cups\cup finals would be extra trimmings.
    All the time with one eye on the future and to help identify a good manager to hand over to.
    I certainly dont think he ever thought he would be doing it very long term, ie 2/3 years at the most
    I think he does suffer from burn out with all the expectation

If you read his latest media interview he seems to know his fate already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

mike65 wrote: »
    If you read his latest media interview he seems to know his fate already.

What did he say?

Blatter wrote: »
    What did he say?
    Dalglish said: “I was asked to come back here and it was an honour and a privilege to do so. There was no hesitation in my decision, and if I was asked again tomorrow, I would do exactly the same thing.

“For me, the aim was to move the club forward and that is what we’re all trying to do to the best of our ability.

“But if the progress stops, then something else needs to be looked at.

“Where the line is going to be drawn, I don’t know. I am sure that everyone will have set different targets that they would see as being progress.

“But the most important people here are the people who own the football club, and the people who support the football club.

“I think they will be better judges than anyone else.”

Dalglish added: “I don’t know whether winning the Carling Cup and reaching the FA Cup Final means we have been successful.

“People have to judge for themselves and if they still want to batter me that’s also up to them.

“It doesn’t matter what happens to Kenny Dalglish. All that matters is Liverpool Football Club. As long as this club doesn’t suffer, then that’s OK with me. I’ll just come into work every day, work as hard as I can and live up to my responsibilities – and we will see what happens from there.”

Dalglish said: “The beliefs and philosophy that Bill Shankly put in place will never change at this football club.

“If that’s what Shanks believed then maybe a few people should listen to him.

“The problem is the goalposts keep moving. Some people say that winning trophies is more important, other say it’s all about finishing in the top four.”

He added: “The overall view this season was to improve, give the supporters a bit of pride back and put a smile on their faces.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Yes he is done. Also rumours on some fan sites by the dreaded "ITK's" that Steve Clarke is being moved on after the final game of the season. Quite frankly, this could be a good thing, he gained his rep on his Chelsea involvement with Mourinho, who has had success subsequently without Clarke, all Clarke has done has contributed to getting West Ham relegated with Zola.

Love and respect for the Kenny in the city and amongst supporters means that reality is being suspended until he is sacked.

Then people will finally see how massive a task it is for us to get back into the top 4.

People also forget that Chelsea and Arsenal have had very poor seasons by their own standards yet they are streets above us. They will improve somewhat next season, so we need to improve tenfold. Also factor in that Newcastle have been clever in the transfer market, to the extent that their first XI is quite possibly alot better than ours.

This talk of progress is crazy. Massive investment with little return. No european football to distract us from league games either.

People need to get their heads out of their arses and liverpool fans need to live in the here and now. Or else all we will be doing is talking about glorious history for the next 20-30 years whilst we have been well and trully left behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Hmm, sounds resigned alright.

That tone could change if he wins the FA cup though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,095 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm a neutral here, not a fan of any EPL team, but Liverpool are shocking and getting worse. Forget cups, they prove nothing, look at Portsmouth. Leagues matter and the pool are now turning into an embarrassment.

the squad has few players you'd keep if the clearout that's desperately needed ever happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

mike65 wrote: »

to me that seems like Kenny in politician mode. Tugging the heart strings and preaching the good word of Liverpool to the masses. And the fans lap that stuff up.
    Any word of Shankly reminds the fans of how great the club is. The club they support.

Can someone tell me what these "Principles of Shankly" are? I'm a liverpool fan, and I mean no disrespect to the great man, and the foundations he laid. Paisley carried it on, Joe Fagan did his bit and Kenny added to the bootroom legacy.

But the empire crumbled. And the game has changed.

What exactly is this "Liverpool Way" ? Other than romantic guff to make it seem like we are a better club to anyone else? I'm baffled, is it a state of mind or what? Applauding opposition goalkeepers when they run to mind the net at the Kop end?

Its something of very little substance.

The only thing recaptured from the old days is Kenny (like Shanks) being able to hynotize the hardcore support, by spouting romantic nonsene about Liverpool FC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

^POTD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

When is that interview from? Was it after last week's cup semi final??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Yes he is done. Also rumours on some fan sites by the dreaded "ITK's" that Steve Clarke is being moved on after the final game of the season. Quite frankly, this could be a good thing, he gained his rep on his Chelsea involvement with Mourinho, who has had success subsequently without Clarke, all Clarke has done has contributed to getting West Ham relegated with Zola.

christ, I don't know about that!

Clarke has been fantastic for liverpool! In fact the only thing we've been consistently good at since he came in is the area He's in control of - defense!

He turned around an absolutely pathetic defense in the first half of last year, to giving us the 3rd best defense in the league this year.

Regardless what happens with Kenny, I'd like Clarke to have every chance of staying on - I hate these stupid staff clear-outs that happen when a manager leaves.

Also, it's ridiculous to simply write off Clarke's achievements with Chelsea, assisting in creating probably the best defensive powerhouse the league has ever seen, simply because Mourinho has had success elsewhere. If he takes some blame in West Hams relegation under Zola, then he takes some credit for Chelsea's achievements under Mourinho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,995 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm a neutral here, not a fan of any EPL team, but Liverpool are shocking and getting worse. Forget cups, they prove nothing, look at Portsmouth. Leagues matter and the pool are now turning into an embarrassment.

the squad has few players you'd keep if the clearout that's desperately needed ever happens.
    I love the way people discard cups by picking out Portsmouth.

What about all the other teams that won the FA Cup?

I'll tell you who has won it in the last 17 years and thats Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United and Manchester City and then of course Portsmouth. Of course that Portsmouth win proves everything while the other teams who have shared it over the other 16 years mean nothing. I'm including this year of course which will be another win for one of those teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

to me that seems like Kenny in politician mode. Tugging the heart strings and preaching the good word of Liverpool to the masses. And the fans lap that stuff up.
    Any word of Shankly reminds the fans of how great the club is. The club they support.

Can someone tell me what these "Principles of Shankly" are? I'm a liverpool fan, and I mean no disrespect to the great man, and the foundations he laid. Paisley carried it on, Joe Fagan did his bit and Kenny added to the bootroom legacy.

What exactly is this "Liverpool Way" ? Other than romantic guff to make it seem like we are a better club to anyone else? I'm baffled, is it a state of mind or what? Applauding opposition goalkeepers when they run to mind the net at the Kop end?

The only thing recaptured from the old days is Kenny (like Shanks) being able to hynotize the hardcore support, by spouting romantic nonsene about Liverpool FC.

Great post.

It's like having a chat with your grandda about years ago when the lads would go out on the sauce for the whole weekend and get home and the dinner would be on the table not a bother.

Then you try and do the same thing this day and age and you're put out of the gaff.*

This may or may not have happened in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Thats a pretty immense post, fair play, hits the nail on the head

Lots of talk of "the liverpool way", nobody ever says what the hell this special way is supposed to be?

Is it to spunk away money on expensive flops? Is it to harp on about the past so often? does it involve failing to bring the club into the 21st century off the field resulting in stadium issues, failing to cash in on new revenue streams etc....? Failing to recognise that the landscape of the modern game has changed perhaps?

That above post is one for the main Liverpool thread, love to see what our own supporters have to say about the "Liverpool way". and if its anything of substance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

for me he is done, almost certainly

but only time will tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

To be honest, I'd love if more clubs' fans did this, and were it a unique Liverpool trait, it'd certainly be one fans could be proud of. Can't knock a bit of bloody courtesy at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Strong rumors circulating that Dalglish is going to get the sack very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

around 4 hours to late with that news buddy :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

ricero wrote: »
    around 4 hours to late with that news buddy :rolleyes:

The relevant thread needed a bumb.

Better late than never ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The relevant thread needed a bumb.

Better late than never ;)

There is enough shít talk in here already!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

First.....

tCp90.gif

Seriously though, it wouldn't be a massive surprise to see Dalglish leaving "the football club", would it?
    I dont think so...

• Advertisement
Advertisement