Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yes Kenny Dalglish and Liverpool are done. MOD POST #425 *ALL READ*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Stewart Downing's first assist this season: The sacking of Kenny Dalglish :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

G.K. wrote: »
    Just the one, Inter.

So Liverpool are a small club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

Cyrus wrote: »
    cop yourself on

You obviously meant to say KOP yourself on !!!

The way things have been going the last few years we'll hire Gary Megson just so I have a stroke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

His embarrassing interviews and tactical ineptitude are more than enough for him to get the boot

Really can't see why any Liverpool fans would not want him gone?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

From the Beeb.
    1701:
    DALGLISH EXIT

Liverpool confirm that Kenny Dalglish has been sacked.

A statement read: "Fenway Sports Group (FSG) and Liverpool Football Club announced that Kenny Dalglish is to leave his post today as manager after having his contract terminated.

"After a careful and deliberative review of the season, the club came to the decision that a change was appropriate. It is not a decision that was reached lightly or hastily.

"The search for a new manager will begin immediately."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/18085052

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Oranage2 wrote: »

No Liverpool was the club he was transported to when his CV was woefully short of what is required to manage there. So he got ****ed out on his ear after a few painful months of blunder and bluster.

He has two big clubs on his CV in a 30 plus year career, and he achieved very little at either. The man was out of his depth. Just like Staunton was. Just like Martinez / Rogers / Lambert will be, and they'll be ****ed out again in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Odds:-

Source:- http://www.thesackrace.com/teams/liverpool

Next Permanent Liverpool Manager

Roberto Martinez
    Bet Now - 7/4

Rafael Benitez
    Bet Now - 11/4

Frank Rijkaard
    Bet Now - 12/1

Andre Villas-Boas
    Bet Now - 12/1

Paul Lambert
    Bet Now - 16/1

Brendan Rodgers
    Bet Now - 16/1

Marcelo Bielsa
    Bet Now - 16/1

Roberto Di Matteo
    Bet Now - 25/1

Jose Mourinho
    Bet Now - 25/1

Guus Hiddink
    Bet Now - 25/1

Didier Deschamps
    Bet Now - 25/1

Jurgen Klopp
    Bet Now - 25/1

Fabio Capello
    Bet Now - 25/1

Chris Hughton
    Bet Now - 25/1

Cesare Prandelli
    Bet Now - 25/1

Carlo Ancelotti
    Bet Now - 25/1

Louis Van Gaal
    Bet Now - 28/1

Bob Bradley
    Bet Now - 28/1

Jurgen Klinsmann
    Bet Now - 33/1

Ottmar Hitzfeld
    Bet Now - 33/1

Bert van Marwijk
    Bet Now - 33/1

Joachim Loew
    Bet Now - 33/1

Frank De Boer
    Bet Now - 33/1

Martin O'Neill
    Bet Now - 33/1

Marcello Lippi
    Bet Now - 33/1

Manuel Pellegrini
    Bet Now - 33/1

Gus Poyet
    Bet Now - 40/1

Pep Guardiola
    Bet Now - 40/1

Marco Van Basten
    Bet Now - 40/1

Jorge Jesus
    Bet Now - 50/1

Ronald Koeman
    Bet Now - 50/1

Claudio Ranieri
    Bet Now - 50/1

David Moyes
    Bet Now - 50/1

Martin Jol
    Bet Now - 50/1

Laurent Blanc
    Bet Now - 50/1

Nigel Adkins
    Bet Now - 50/1

Steve Bruce
    Bet Now - 66/1

Owen Coyle
    Bet Now - 66/1

Karl Robinson
    Bet Now - 66/1

Markus Babbel
    Bet Now - 66/1

Sven Goran Eriksson
    Bet Now - 66/1

Alex McLeish
    Bet Now - 80/1

Roy Hodgson
    Bet Now - 80/1

Paul Cook
    Bet Now - 100/1

Kevin Keegan
    Bet Now - 100/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I was assuming you meant his pre-liverpool career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

He undermined Hodgson at every opportunity and got what was coming to him

Maybe he'll get the england job after the Euros.

If Martinez/Rodgers/Lambert get the job, I'll die a little inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Frank Rijkaard & Andre Villas-Boas, both 12/1, and both exactly who Liverpool need. They have experience in rebuilding and setting up a team. If Liverpool could get either, and back them for at least 2 years, they would be very quickly be back competing. IMO anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Anyone who saw the first half of that FA Cup final might wonder how he managed to last even this long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Brendan Rodgers.

We can't beat him.

He might join us!

rarnes1 wrote: »
    If Martinez/Rodgers/Lambert get the job, I'll die a little inside.

Two brilliant managers

• Advertisement

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Two brilliant managers

Rodgers is enjoying the spoils of Martinez's hard work at the club. SO to rate him higher than Martinez is a little misplaced.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    No Liverpool was the club he was transported to when his CV was woefully short of what is required to manage there. So he got ****ed out on his ear after a few painful months of blunder and bluster.

He has two big clubs on his CV in a 30 plus year career, and he achieved very little at either. The man was out of his depth. Just like Staunton was. Just like Martinez / Rogers / Lambert will be, and they'll be ****ed out again in no time.

You havent a clue!

Hodgson was given no money and inherited useless players! Hodgson tried his best and if anything Liverpool will forever unfairly tarnish his reputation so pay the man some respect!

Just a neutral here but I think once Alonso left for Madrid then Liverpool were finished. Not much any manager could do with them after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Anyone who saw the first half of that FA Cup final might wonder how he managed to last even this long.

you could say that about any managerial stint.

"anyone who saw Manchester United's 90 minutes against Manchester City might wonder who Sir Alex has managed to last this long".

bottom line is results weren't up to scratch, and FSG pulled the trigger.

this had very little to do, i'd imagine, with the quality of football. it's all about results, and they weren't happy.

Horribly cynical view on a decent manager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

You havent a clue!

Hodgson was given no money and inherited useless players! Hodgson tried his best and if anything Liverpool will forever unfairly tarnish his reputation so pay the man some respect!

Hodgson was so out of his depth at liverpool it wasnt funny at least he has found his level now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Unusually professional and quick from a Liverpool owner. I'm used to the Rick Parry system of going on holidays by now, not doing anything either way and letting everything stew needlessly for two months.

Only decision they could make. Benitez has to get the job, he lurks in the background like Dalglish did until he gets another shot like Dalglish did. He'll get more time than anyone else by his followers and perhaps the mess of three managers in two chaotic years might calm the strange people who wanted him out the first time.

You havent a clue!

he brought in Poulsen and Konchesky, and wanted to marginalise Lucas.

you're the one who hasn't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Another boards.ie "is he done" thread comes full circle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Whoever takes over, has loads of work to do, that's for sure.

Maybe Paul Lambert might be a good solution, but I heard from Germany, that it will be Rafa Benitez again...

Horribly cynical view on a decent manager

but accurate, unfortunately.

Hodgson has never achieved anywhere where anything was expected of who he was managing. that's just fact.

even at Inter, they were completely in the doldrums, and he merely stabilised them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Just a neutral here but I think once Alonso left for Madrid then Liverpool were finished. Not much any manager could do with them after that.

Wouldn't go as far as finished, but a major loss along with a few other players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

No point. Hodgson and Staunton weren't accidents. There is no magic in life. Managers out of their depth fail.

Fair enough. I just find it weird that you wouldnt at least afford them some time.

My view would probably be different though if it was my club involved

SlickRic wrote: »

He also wanted rid of Agger.

The man was clueless.

He had a thing for skinheads though didn't he? They must have been more areodynamic. The world just wasn't ready for his advanced thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

You havent a clue!

Hodgson was given no money and inherited useless players!

9 of the team that started and beat real madrid 5-0 on agg were available to hodgson on the first day of the season some 15 months later......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

but accurate, unfortunately.

Hodgson has never achieved anywhere where anything was expected of who he was managing. that's just fact.

even at Inter, they were completely in the doldrums, and he merely stabilised them.

Not so sure:

Honours
    Managerial

Halmstad Malmö FF Inter Milan Copenhagen Fulham Individual
    And now has himself the England job.

Two brilliant managers

Let someone else take the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Hodgson was given no money and inherited useless players!

Quite a lot of those useless players were part of teams that were the world cup final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You havent a clue!

I know exactly what I'm talking about, unfortunately. I saw it all go down.

Respect? I give him respect as a decent journeyman manager who is obviously very experienced having managed in many different countries. And with all that due respect, it is very clear that he is out of his depth now with England (check out that squad selection), and was out of his depth when given the Liverpool job.

He should never have been hired, but he compounded the error with his own idiocy.

Short to medium term steady the ship efforts at West Brom / Fulham are appropriate gigs for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

ricero wrote: »
    give the man some respect hes a football legend regardless of what club you support
    After how the man handled certain situations this year, he doesn't deserve one inch of respect. Good riddance to him.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Not so sure:

Honours
    Managerial

Actually go through that and see what was a top achievement .

You even included runners up positions and a manager of the year award :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I know exactly what I'm talking about, unfortunately. I saw it all go down.

Respect? I give him respect as a decent journeyman manager who is obviously very experienced having managed in many different countries. And with all that due respect, it is very clear that he is out of his depth now with England (check out that squad selection), and was out of his depth when given the Liverpool job.

He should never have been hired, but he compounded the error with his own idiocy.

Short to medium term steady the ship efforts at West Brom / Fulham are appropriate gigs for him.
    he was sh1te at Liverpool
    but he hasn't even takin charge of 1 match yet
    give him a chance ffs

Hodgson will need a new job after the Euros. Maybe he could get a second chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Rodgers is enjoying the spoils of Martinez's hard work at the club. SO to rate him higher than Martinez is a little misplaced.

You're massively understating Rodgers here. Martinez may have put Swansea in the direction that they are in now, but I don't think there is much of a hope that he'd have taken them to where Rodgers currently has them. Rodgers is the better manager for definite.

Martinez has done well to keep Wigan in the Premiership for 3 seasons but I haven't seen enough from his teams thus far to indicate that he'd be able to take this Liverpool back to the Champions League spots.

Villas Boas is the man for it I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

:confused::o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

One of Benitez, Van Gaal, Capello, AVB or Pellegrini. Undecided on Martinez, definitely has potential but could be too early for him

Hodgson dominated Swedish football in the late 80s! by no means an easy feat!

As this thread is about Kenny, I've never seen a man so out of his depth before.

He had a chance to make Liverpool a real force in world football but instead he sent Liverpool backwards for at least 3-5 season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Turtyturd wrote: »
    He undermined Hodgson at every opportunity and got what was coming to him

Maybe he'll get the england job after the Euros.
    You never know. I hope you didnt throw out your thanks but no yanks sign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Ush1 wrote: »
    Not so sure:

Honours
    Managerial

Oh my god,

Take out the runners up and personal awards and you have a few swedish leagues, pat fenlons record would stand up to that :P

and now he has the england job, yep, thats about his level

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Fair enough. I just find it weird that you wouldnt at least afford them some time.

My view would probably be different though if it was my club involved

If you know someone isn't up to it before he gets the job, why give them time?

It's like giving time to Ali Dia at Southampton - no, he was out of his depth, he shouldn't have got the job in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Hodgson dominated Swedish football in the late 80s! by no means an easy feat!

and kenny dominated english football in the 1980s...
    He had a chance to make Liverpool a real force in world football but instead he sent Liverpool backwards for at least 3-5 season!

he was given 15 months, the club were 4 points off the relegation zone when he took over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

dfx- wrote: »
    If you know someone isn't up to it before he gets the job, why give them time?

It's like giving time to Ali Dia at Southampton - no, he was out of his depth, he shouldn't have got the job in the first place.

Yeah fair point. Im just not sure how you can say it about Lambert/Martinez who have never been in the big jobs before. Understand it if its for Hodgson and people have seen he's not really done it before in his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Nailz wrote: »
    After how the man handled certain situations this year, he doesn't deserve one inch of respect. Good riddance to him.

Its funny because a mate text me the Dalglish news earlier and straight away suggested that he feels the Suarez incident could of swung it.

When an owner has to demand that a manager and player apologise for the players actions, you know that they are hanging on a thread . . Might not of been the only reason, but the way the owners intervened in that scenario suggests it certainly had some baring on the decision . .

CSF wrote: »
    You're massively understating Rodgers here. Martinez may have put Swansea in the direction that they are in now, but I don't think there is much of a hope that he'd have taken them to where Rodgers currently has them. Rodgers is the better manager for definite.

No I'm not. Martinez took over a team in League 1 with no real potential at the time. He introduced the passing style game that they are now being respected for. He won League 1 on his first attempt and continued to build with great cup performances. His work drew the attention of several clubs including Celtic and Wigan. He was ambitious and wanted to keep building at Swansea but they started to cash in on the players that were progressing under him. He leaves because of this. Sousa comes in and continues the style the Martinez has introduced and builds on it. In comes Brendan Rodgers afterwards and is there for the final step. He was lucky to have made the playoffs in the end last year after an abmissmal run of form. Only for other teams, including Cardiff to drop form allowed Swansea to secure a place.

Martinez went on to keep a struggling Wigan side in the premiership for 3 years.

To me, Martinez is a far better manager than Rodgers, he was the one who put the foundations down and the hard work that has got Swansea where they are. If he was left in charge, he would have been in the premiership with them before this year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement