Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yes Kenny Dalglish and Liverpool are done. MOD POST #425 *ALL READ*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

amiable wrote: »
    Much ado about nothing...... Again

How is it 'much ado about nothing'? Gerrard shouts at Dalglish, then shoos him away dismissively. That's not a good sign.

slingerz wrote: »
    If kenneth goes then rafa is not the man to replace him

A new man perhaps someone lik Brendan Rodgers would be a good option

Brendan Rodgers has done an amazing job but going from Swansea to Liverpool would be a big step up. He deserves a shot at a bigger club though. A much more progressive manager than Kenny, who seems a bit stuck in his old ways and has done a terrible job, only saved from outright savage criticism by his status as a club legend. This stint as manager has only tarnished his reputation though, rather than enhance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

aidan24326 wrote: »
    How is it 'much ado about nothing'? Gerrard shouts at Dalglish, then shoos him away dismissively. That's not a good sign.

Because it's been blown out of proportion. It's not clear what was said or if it was shouted.
    I'm not here defending Gerrard as he was awful yesterday and I think that is a more important discussion point.
    Gerrard and Kenny seemed in agreement so IMO it's much ado about nothing...... again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Saw Kenny on SSN this morning walking out of another post match interview just because the reporter mentioned that LFC had lost 6 out of the last 7 matches in the league now. The man has no media skills and is a complete PR disaster, John Henry must watch every interview/press conference through his fingers.

Was a master stroke from him installing Kenny as manager, was a win win situation really, if he performs well and the team are successful Henry wins if Kenny is crap and the team win nothing he can sack him and tell the fans he did it their way, at least then any other manager at Anfield wont have Kenny standing over their shoulder like Rafa and Roy had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

aidan24326 wrote: »

Nah .

30seconds before the above caption Kenny was screaming over to Gerrard and Flano to go four at the back .
    It looks like Kenny was telling Gerrard who already knew , hence him saying something like "I know four at the back" and using the hand signals to indicate .

slingerz wrote: »
    If kenneth goes then rafa is not the man to replace him

A new man perhaps someone lik Brendan Rodgers would be a good option

Too big a step up for him so soon IMO.

He's said already that he wants to build a career at Swansea.

Swansea and Rodgers seem to be getting all the plaudits and Norwich are level on points with Swansea.
    Lambert has done a terrific job there and has knowledge of the foreign game too from his time at Dortmund.
    It's too soon for him too IMO but if they both keep going they will get their chances

donalg1 wrote: »
    Saw Kenny on SSN this morning walking out of another post match interview just because the reporter mentioned that LFC had lost 6 out of the last 7 matches in the league now. The man has no media skills and is a complete PR disaster, John Henry must watch every interview/press conference through his fingers.

Was a master stroke from him installing Kenny as manager, was a win win situation really, if he performs well and the team are successful Henry wins if Kenny is crap and the team win nothing he can sack him and tell the fans he did it their way, at least then any other manager at Anfield wont have Kenny standing over their shoulder like Rafa and Roy had.

Sky conveniently showed you the end of the interview and not all the other questions he was asked and answered frankly which was flagged up as good by lots of people after the game as good.

Nice edit Sky. You keep on believing everything they feed you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Too big a step up for him so soon IMO.

He's said already that he wants to build a career at Swansea.

Swansea and Rodgers seem to be getting all the plaudits and Norwich are level on points with Swansea.
    Lambert has done a terrific job there and has knowledge of the foreign game too from his time at Dortmund.
    It's too soon for him too IMO but if they both keep going they will get their chances

also worth remembering that it's martinez who built the philosophy at swansea - rodgers just continued that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

mixednuts wrote: »
    30seconds before the above caption Kenny was screaming over to Gerrard and Flano to go four at the back .
    It looks like Kenny was telling Gerrard who already knew , hence him saying something like "I know four at the back" and using the hand signals to indicate .
    Did you get this transcripted for you or is this just someones theory or what? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭happyman81

Sky conveniently showed you the end of the interview and not all the other questions he was asked and answered frankly which was flagged up as good by lots of people after the game as good.

So the end of the interview didn't happen?

I know he was asked and answered plenty of other questions but he still came out with his silly attitude and walked off after being asked a pretty straight forward question, its not the first time he has done this and doubt it will be the last. The man seems way out of touch with the modern game and the workings of it both on and off the pitch. Granted he isnt helped by the team he has to pick each week. Spearing is basically used as a replacement for Alonso and the two couldnt be further apart in terms of ability and talent, same for Mascherano and Shelvey

• Advertisement

happyman81 wrote: »
    So the end of the interview didn't happen?

Did I say that?

I said he answered lots of questions already for Sky in a really honest fashion after a hard day at the office and he was surely a little annoyed after the game.
    Sky didn't bother showing the other questions he answered that show him in a good light.
    They conveniently just show what they want as it's good TV for them and people like you just gobble it up as gospel.
    If they had shown more of the interview as they did earlier the context of things would have been clearer but that doesn't make good TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Did you get this transcripted for you or is this just someones theory or what? :confused:

No.
    Got the inside scoop from PaulieD who got it from his inside source
    Aneil Passige

I know he was asked and answered plenty of other questions but he still came out with his silly attitude and walked off after being asked a pretty straight forward question, its not the first time he has done this and doubt it will be the last. The man seems way out of touch with the modern game and the workings of it both on and off the pitch. Granted he isnt helped by the team he has to pick each week. Spearing is basically used as a replacement for Alonso and the two couldnt be further apart in terms of ability and talent, same for Mascherano and Shelvey

Yes Spearing is a replacement for Alonso even though there has been 2 other managers in charge at Liverpool since Alonso was sold

Helix wrote: »
    also worth remembering that it's martinez who built the philosophy at swansea - rodgers just continued that

Good point. I think Rodgers had that philosophy too and probably why Swansea hired him to carry it on.

Yes Spearing is a replacement for Alonso even though there has been 2 other managers in charge at Liverpool since Alonso was sold

Point is when Liverpool were at their peak a few years ago the midfield was made up of Gerrard Alonso and Mascherano, now its Gerrard Spearing and Shelvey pretty big difference between the two.

I was actually saying this is not Kenny's fault and it is one thing he cant be blamed for despite this though he is still a sh*t manager.

Did I say that?

I said he answered lots of questions already for Sky in a really honest fashion after a hard day at the office and he was surely a little annoyed after the game.
    Sky didn't bother showing the other questions he answered that show him in a good light.
    They conveniently just show what they want as it's good TV for them and people like you just gobble it up as gospel.
    If they had shown more of the interview as they did earlier the context of things would have been clearer but that doesn't make good TV
    That's par for the course,if you want to show someone walking out of an interview you don't really bother with the rest of the interview.

Point is when Liverpool were at their peak a few years ago the midfield was made up of Gerrard Alonso and Mascherano, now its Gerrard Spearing and Shelvey pretty big difference between the two.

I was actually saying this is not Kenny's fault and it is one thing he cant be blamed for despite this though he is still a sh*t manager.

And it's probably Kenny's fault that Lucas got injured too.
    I wouldn't be so quick to rule out Shelvey as turning in to a very capable midfielder.
    Spearing isn't good enough to replace Alonso, no doubt about that but he was never thought of as a replacement. Just a back up.

That's par for the course,if you want to show someone walking out of an interview you don't really bother with the rest of the interview.

Of course but it doesn't mean we all have to believe it's as simple as that.

Of course but it doesn't mean we all have to believe it's as simple as that.
    I have not seen it,is him walking off the "headline" or point of the piece they show?
    If so that's fair enough,that's the bit people are interested in.

• Advertisement

And it's probably Kenny's fault that Lucas got injured too.
    I wouldn't be so quick to rule out Shelvey as turning in to a very capable midfielder.
    Spearing isn't good enough to replace Alonso, no doubt about that but he was never thought of as a replacement. Just a back up.

No it wasnt his fault, but it was his fault that he spent £85m and Liverpool are now worse than they were. Plus it is his fault that he spend £20m on Jordan Henderson based on his performances playing in Central Midfield only to then stick him on the wing. Why didnt he buy a winger if that is what he wanted.

It is also his fault he bought Charlie Adam, Andy Carroll and his handling of Suarez is shocking which btw the whole Suarez issues all season have probably had the biggest negative effect on LFC.

I have not seen it,is him walking off the "headline" or point of the piece they show?
    If so that's fair enough,that's the bit people are interested in.

Yes the Sky Sports News presenter announces he walks off before they literally show approx a 10 second clip.

I watched it at around 8 am

It's the usual Sky sensationalising a story.
    It's their job to do so but doesn't mean we all have to believe.:)

Yes the Sky Sports News presenter announces he walks off before they literally show approx a 10 second clip.

I watched it at around 8 am

It's the usually Sky sensationalising a story.
    It's their job to do so but doesn't mean we all have to believe.:)

They also showed a good bit of the rest of the interview beforehand, they went back to the studio after it and they said Kenny then got a little angry with our reporter then and showed that part of the interview

its worth noting, however, that the players will probably see it and it'll not do any good for any doubts or concerns they may be harbouring about his abilities

Good point. I think Rodgers had that philosophy too and probably why Swansea hired him to carry it on.

yup, only one man for the job if you want to build it from the ground up and that's martinez. id like to see him given the chance to do it at villa, but i reckon he'd be run out of the club within a year. these things take 3-5 years minimum to come to fruition. and for the bulk of the start of that, you'd not be very good at all. bottom third type not very good

not a big change for villa right now, but i can't see liverpool affording that kind of time to a young manager

its worth noting, however, that the players will probably see it and it'll not do any good for any doubts or concerns they may be harbouring about his abilities

I doubt too many of the players watched SSN last night or will be reading the players today.
    They only like the media on good days :)

• Advertisement

yup, only one man for the job if you want to build it from the ground up and that's martinez. id like to see him given the chance to do it at villa, but i reckon he'd be run out of the club within a year. these things take 3-5 years minimum to come to fruition. and for the bulk of the start of that, you'd not be very good at all. bottom third type not very good

not a big change for villa right now, but i can't see liverpool affording that kind of time to a young manager

I think I read somewhere that Fergie wanted him as his assisstant at United too.
    He's well regarded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Just read there that Cristiano Ronaldo has scored more league goals than the entire Liverpool team. (Messi has scored one less).

Ouch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

quarryman wrote: »
    Just read there that Cristiano Ronaldo has scored more league goals than the entire Liverpool team. (Messi has scored one less).

Ouch!

As far as I'm aware, OG is our second top scorer this season. At least he was a few weeks back anyway :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ouch!

I love all these facts.

In the last ten minutes Ronaldo, Messi, and the Liverpool team have scored the same amount of goals.

Ouch Ronaldo and Messi, Ouch!

Ouch!
    You can bring a horse to water but you can't make it sh1t

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Xavi6 wrote: »
    "Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over..."

ibwyfUI7xCRsnh.gif

This just reminds me of playing u-12 football and 1 of the parents coming on the pitch. "Get off the pitch dad, jaysus". Just the sheer embarrassment!!

On a practical level, Stevie G was just trying to get Kenny off before the ref sent him off. There's technical areas on the pitch for a reason. Maybe not in the 1980s but in 2012 there is.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I love all these facts.

In the last ten minutes Ronaldo, Messi, and the Liverpool team have scored the same amount of goals.

Ouch Ronaldo and Messi, Ouch!

Another one for you: Enrique is the only goalkeeper in the Premiership not to have conceded a goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Another one for you: Enrique is the only goalkeeper in the Premiership not to have conceded a goal.

Dont think John O Shea conceeded against Spurs in 2007 and there's a few others to mention along those lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Flancrest

After watching the yesterdays match again I feel it might be time for Kenny to vacate the managers post.
    I think that based on the last couple of weeks and the Suarez issue it is clear that Kenny hasn't got enough media saavy to take Liverpool to the next level(in regard to attracting big sponsors that want to be associated with the Liverpool brand.
    The club should take the decision to move Kenny to an office job were he can still dictate tactics and team selection to the new "boss" as his football brain cannot be questioned.
    A great candidate for the position would be Phil Thompson as he is used to working in media and also watches Liverpool week in week out for GSS and therefore would have a good understanding of the tactics already employed thus allowing for a smooth transition

Dont think John O Shea conceeded against Spurs in 2007 and there's a few others to mention along those lines

this season, sry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Like 80% of the people on this thread, I don't really have an interest in Liverpool and what happens to them.

Unlike those 80% though, I don't really have an interest in winding Liverpool fans up either.

Obviously Kenny will get some of the slack for performances but I don't see how it's all down to him - this is one of the cases where the players deserve the biggest portion of the blame.

did newcastle have any shots on enrique actually? maybe he's the only premiership keeper never to have had to make a save from a shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

did newcastle have any shots on enrique actually? maybe he's the only premiership keeper never to have had to make a save from a shot

Don't think so, I think he parried away a cross that was about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

this season, sry.

AFAIK Amos played 90 minutes for Untied and didn't concede

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/apr/02/liverpool-dismal-league-campaign
    1 If the Premier League had started on New Year's Day, Liverpool, with eight points from 12 games, would be 19th in the table, with only Wolverhampton Wanderers below

Top six

1 Man Utd 28pts

2 Man City 26pts

3 Newcastle 23pts

4 Sunderland 23pts

5 Arsenal 22pts

6 Everton 22pts

Bottom six

15 Wigan 13pts

16 Stoke 12pts

17 QPR 11pts

18 Aston Villa 10pts

19 Liverpool 8pts

20 Wolves 5pts

2 Liverpool are 16 points off fourth place and entry into next season's Champions League qualifiers, their stated aim at the start of this campaign. They are closer to the relegation zone, being only 14 points ahead of 18th-placed Queens Park Rangers

4 Tottenham 58pts

8 Liverpool 42pts

18 QPR 28pts

3 Liverpool have lost six of their last seven league games. The last time they endured such a poor run of form was in 1953-54, when they were relegated

4 1953-54 was also the last time Liverpool had such a poor points per game ratio in the top flight (correcting the discrepancy of the old two-points-for-a-win system). Liverpool's current points per game ratio is a lowly 1.35, 42 points in 31 games

5 Liverpool's goals per game ratio is 1.16, 36 goals in 31 games, making this Liverpool team the least frequent scorers since the 1991-92 season under Graeme Souness

6 Liverpool have never had a season in which both their points and goal per game ratios were so low. The closest is 1923-24, when they recorded 41 points in 42 games (0.98) and 49 goals (1.17)

7 Liverpool's home form has been particularly poor, winning only five of their 15 games at Anfield, or 33%. Again we need to go back to 1953-54 for the last time when they won so few, seven of 21 in the relegation season

8 Liverpool's goal difference is +3. Liverpool have not had such a low goal difference at the end of a season since 1964-65, when it stood at -6

9 Liverpool's top scorer in the league is Luis Suárez, with seven goals in 26 games. Only once in the Premier League era have Liverpool gone through a season without one of their players reaching double figures in league goals, 2004-05 when Milan Baros scored nine times

10 2004-05 was also the only Premier League season in which Liverpool finished below Everton in the table. But Everton, in seventh, currently sit one place and one point above Liverpool

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    But your point is both invalid and a time wasting read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Flancrest wrote: »

What was his point?

And nothing in that is invalid actually. It does highlight just how poor Kenneths results have been this season and in particular since Christmas. The form is relegation form and that cannot be denied, most other managers would be under pressure with form like that. Managers of teams with CL asperations who have been on such a poor run of form and have such a poor goalscoring return, points per game return etc would not be in their job much longer.

kryogen wrote: »
    What was his point?

And nothing in that is invalid actually. It does highlight just how poor Kenneths results have been this season and in particular since Christmas. The form is relegation form and that cannot be denied, most other managers would be under pressure with form like that. Managers of teams with CL asperations who have been on such a poor run of form and have such a poor goalscoring return, points per game return etc would not be in their job much longer.
    Well the thread is about Kenny staying as Liverpool manager. That has t o be judged over the full season not just a snapshot of it. Looking at it that way you could argue that he has actually over achieved for his first full season in charge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Give Kenny the job for life. He knows what he's doing.

it's been a difficult season, manchester united's evra led racism campaign has thrown the pool of course for the league this year but he has steadied the ship and won the league cup and guaranteed europa league next season. Not to be scoffed at.

He's also been victim of the woodwork more often than any other team. Perhaps if mr. Ferguson had not campaigned to move the goal posts literally, in a rarely reported campaign last summer, then the pool would be at least 5th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭happyman81

kryogen wrote: »

What was his point?

But his brilliant footballing brain cannot be denied, etc, etc.

the thing about the "relegation form" arguement, does it REALLY matter when you're safe in midtable with no chance of actually competing for anything at the top end, and with no chance of being dragged down?

obviously it's not exactly great for fans, or club morale, but at the end of the day perhaps its more that there's nothing to play for at liverpool this season in the league, nor was there ever realistically going to be? theyve won a cup and are still in another one, so its obvious where the players' attention will be focused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Seriously who cares if the premiership started on the 5th of November said team would be somewhere, hate those pointless stats that peeps keep on posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Well the thread is about Kenny staying as Liverpool manager. That has t o be judged over the full season not just a snapshot of it. Looking at it that way you could argue that he has actually over achieved for his first full season in charge

Yep, and some posters on here were only too happy to do just that last season and this summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Kenny is losing his marbles. He's not able to manage a big club, just look at him coming onto the pitch. It's really funny, I hope he stays :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

RasTa wrote: »
    Seriously who cares if the premiership started on the 5th of November said team would be somewhere, hate those pointless stats that peeps keep on posting.

It's not really pointless. The league is based on consistency. Winning a cup can be down to luck. the league really decides who's a good team and who's not. The 12 games in that poor form is 39% of the season so far. So for 39% of this season 18 teams have been in better form than Liverpool.

Advertisement