Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yes Kenny Dalglish and Liverpool are done. MOD POST #425 *ALL READ*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Samich wrote: »
    No I'm afraid they're playing like relegation candidates. Relegation candidates usually get beaten every week.

the 3 seasons villa finished 6th they won one game in march, and tended to lose most of the rest. they were hardly playing like relegation candidates, they were just playing like the midtable team they were. that's the difference between top teams and midtable teams - consistency of performance

Funny enough probably most mid table clubs would sack their manager after a run of 6 defeats in PL 7 games and only 8 points since January.

they wouldnt

midtable teams tend not to sack their managers til the end of the season or if they're dragged into the relegation battle, mainly because there's little to be gained in getting rid of them during the season

it happens the odd time, but it's not a common occurance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Leftist wrote: »
    historically yes but no chance anymore.

Big name but now not a big club anymore.

So 3 years Liverpool have been out of the CL places and finished in bad positions...

and now suddenly we are a small club???

Haha get over yourself.. Liverpool still have a massive fan base much more than the big money spending clubs that have come into the fray recently, that's what makes us a big club, regardless of our massive history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Helix wrote: »
    the 3 seasons villa finished 6th they won one game in march, and tended to lose most of the rest. they were hardly playing like relegation candidates, they were just playing like the midtable team they were. that's the difference between top teams and midtable teams - consistency of performance

How were they mid table if they finished 6th?

So 3 years Liverpool have been out of the CL places and finished in bad positions...

and now suddenly we are a small club???

Haha get over yourself.. Liverpool still have a massive fan base much more than the big money spending clubs that have come into the fray recently, that's what makes us a big club, regardless of our massive history.

For how long? I know quite a few of my friends can't be arsed supporting liverpool anymore as they know they're sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

For how long? I know quite a few of my friends can't be arsed supporting liverpool anymore as they know they're sh*t.

lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Jesus, you hang around with some shower of dopes. Start supporting Man City now have they? I suppose it's nice that you all sticker together though.

Well cant say I know any Liverpool fans like that, but the ones that have done that are very shallow and cant be considered real fans of any team.

When Liverpool lose there big fan base they have at the moment then fair enough call us a small club then!!

How were they mid table if they finished 6th?

6th would be the upper end of midtable

midtable clubs are traditionally ones that never challenge for the league and never flirt with relegation

• Advertisement

midtable clubs are traditionally ones that never challenge for the league and never flirt with relegation

Arsenal and spurs are mid table? I think not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭happyman81

Liverpool, then.

Arsenal and spurs are mid table? I think not.

arsenal would regularly challenge for the title, they tend to falter, but they're usually up that end. spurs are transitioning away from being a midtable team just like liverpool have transitioned away from being a top team

happyman81 wrote: »
    Liverpool, then.

ah to be fair to them they put in a challenge a while back

but these days, yeah, they're a midtable team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

mixednuts wrote: »
    Has the average age of posters on this forum just gone down ?

Some of the above posts are comical.

because liverpool are no longer one of the big clubs that makes me immature? o.k.

nobody outside of liverpools support holds them to the level their own fans believe they are. Of course that could be said of support for anyone in terms of affection but the self-delusion at liverpool is famous.

this "big club" thing is nonsense anyway

it doesnt matter a jot on the pitch if youre a "big club" all that matters is that you're a "top club", the latter of which is based on your recent trophy haul, your current playing squad and whether or not other "top clubs" see you as a genuine threat

liverpool are not right now

• Advertisement

it doesnt matter a jot on the pitch if youre a "big club" all that matters is that you're a "top club", the latter of which is based on your recent trophy haul, your current playing squad and whether or not other "top clubs" see you as a genuine threat

yep, it's all pretty irrelevant. Back to the point, what do liverpool supporters think about rival supporters hoping that King Kenny stays in charge?

Do you really want this man in charge and do you really want rafa back? if that is your expectations how can you expect better?

because liverpool are no longer one of the big clubs that makes me immature? o.k.

nobody outside of liverpools support holds them to the level their own fans believe they are. Of course that could be said of support for anyone in terms of affection but the self-delusion at liverpool is famous.

Ok we seem to have a different meaning of what a "big club" means .

I will go first ..
    For me a measurement for a big club would primarily be its fan base. How many fans support a particular club , not just domestically but Worldwide .
    Liverpool have a massive Worldwide following.

Your turn ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

so you are saying Arsenal are a big club because they challenge for the title yet they have won no trophy in years....and then you say liverpool are not a big club anymore where we have won trophies since arsenal last won one......im very confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

happyman81 wrote: »
    Some quotes from Liverpool fans I have encountered over the years:

"Cisse is every bit as good as Henry (at his peak), only faster"

"Danny Murphy on his day is as good as Luis Figo"

"We deserved to win" (following a 3-0 loss to Chelsea)

and the classic...

"We will win the league next season"

Gotta love em.

every club has deluded fans sure at the start of the season a few city fans said they were going to win every competition this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

''You fúcking wish!''

Hells no. Liverpool are brilliant fun under his control.

• Advertisement

Ok we seem to have a different meaning of what a "big club" means .

I will go first ..
    For me a big club would primarily be its fan base. How many fans support a particular club , not just domestically but Worldwide .
    Liverpool have a massive Worldwide following.

Your turn ....

Man United. A massive worldwide following AND league titles won (within the last two decades).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Put it into context:
    Liverpool won the UEFA Cup in 2001
    European Super Cup in 2001
    Champions League in 2005
    European Super Cup in 2005
    World Club Cup Runners Up in 2005
    Champions League Runners Up in 2007
    Champions League Semi finals in 2008
    Champions League Quarter finals in 2009
    UEFA Cup semi finals in 2010

Man United apart can any other English team boast that record in Europe over the last 10/11 years? We have had 3 bad domestic seasons simple as that. What have Everton, Spurs, Arsenal, Man City done the last few years? F-all is the answer.

Liverpool are still one of the big clubs the world over with Man United, Juventus, AC Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich etc nothing has changed because of three bad seasons

markie29 wrote: »
    so you are saying Arsenal are a big club because they challenge for the title yet they have won no trophy in years....and then you say liverpool are not a big club anymore where we have won trophies since arsenal last won one......im very confused.

that's exactly what im saying

clubs see arsenal as a genuine threat, they don't see liverpool as one. top players with no allegiance to either club would rather join arsenal than liverpool in most cases. arsenal frequently challenge for the title, or are at the business end of the league almost all the time

liverpool are not a top club any more, a mickey mouse cup doesnt change that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Well its more so that they're in decline as apposed to they are no longer on of the big clubs. The ship can easily be steadied in the summer and 4th could be a target again next season with a bit of luck.

Dotsey wrote: »
    Liverpool are still one of the big clubs the world over with Man United, Juventus, AC Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich etc nothing has changed because of three bad seasons

reputation has diddly squat to do with what happens on the pitch

liverpool have loads of fans. great. liverpool won trophies a few managerial regimes ago. deadly

what does that do to prevent them from being a midtable club in the present? sweet f.a.

Trilla wrote: »
    4th could be a target again next season with a bit of luck.

of course itll be a target

wont be a realistic one though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

of course itll be a target

wont be a realistic one though

Well thats what I meant, I think it can with a bit of luck you never know. Don't get me wrong **** is hitting fans at anfield but nothing a good summer can't sort out to get them back on track.

Beat a champions ship side in penos

none of that means anything apart from the carling cup. if you put aggregate performance in cups then arsenal are further ahead, but please don't take that as an invitation to compare. It's mickey mouse stuff.

Trilla wrote: »
    Well its more so that they're in decline as apposed to they are no longer on of the big clubs. The ship can easily be steadied in the summer and 4th could be a target again next season with a bit of luck.

i suppose my definition of big club is a bit strict. Targetting, optimistically, 4th place, next season, is not imo what a top club would strive for. Settle for maybe but not strive for.

especially when you consider the money spent.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

yep, it's all pretty irrelevant. Back to the point, what do liverpool supporters think about rival supporters hoping that King Kenny stays in charge?

Do you really want this man in charge and do you really want rafa back? if that is your expectations how can you expect better?

Thankfully most of us don't give a crap what people like you think.

• Advertisement

that's exactly what im saying

clubs see arsenal as a genuine threat, they don't see liverpool as one. top players with no allegiance to either club would rather join arsenal than liverpool in most cases. arsenal frequently challenge for the title, or are at the business end of the league almost all the time

liverpool are not a top club any more, a mickey mouse cup doesnt change that
    When was the last time Arsenal challenged for the title or won a trophy for that matter?
    Do Arsenal even challenge in Europe at all, apart from 1 final they've have done nothing.

3 bad seasons doesn't make a Legacy.

Silverware and honours does .
    198681.PNG

If rival fans think that a club like Liverpool or its current owners will ever settle for mid-table mediocrity then then are very very wrong .

YNWA.

Put it into context:
    Champions League in 2005

Man United apart can any other English team boast that record in Europe over the last 10/11 years? We have had 3 bad domestic seasons simple as that. What have Everton, Spurs, Arsenal, Man City done the last few years? F-all is the answer.

And the delusion continues.

First, Man Utd, Juve, Milan, Barce, Real, Munich have all one numerous domestic leagues over the last two decades. Liverpool last won the league when the goalie could pick up a pass back. Can you imagine one of these teams not winning a league in over 20 years and still calling themselves one of the greats?

Jesus wept.

Second, listing supercups and final placings in the CL (oh, we finished 16th in the CL) shows just how little a mighty Liverpool has achieved since the glory days of yore.

Finally, Arsenal are now a bigger team than Liverpool. They have won league titles in the world of the backpass rule. Liverpool have not.

198681.PNG

If rival fans think that a club like Liverpool or its current owners will ever settle for mid-table mediocrity then then are very very wrong .

YNWA.

deadly

look lads, villa are a massive club

none of that means anything apart from the carling cup. if you put aggregate performance in cups then arsenal are further ahead, but please don't take that as an invitation to compare. It's mickey mouse stuff.
    Cups are handed out now on "aggregate performance" yeah? That's a new one to me.

Arsenal have done nothing since what 2005 as regards silverware, is this period a success to Arsenal fans. I'd take what we have done recently over Arsenal anyday, up until 6 games ago we were side by side in the league but heads dropped after we lost to Arsenal in the league in a game we should have easily won.

No they're not.
    You can live in dreamland all you want fact is Arsenal haven't won a trophy in what 6 or 7 years, and you are happy with this.

This shows your level of intelligence.

what do you mean im happy with it? im not an arsenal fan, i dont care about their trophy haul :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

198681.PNG

YNWA.

Does sticking 'YNWA' at the end of post count for something or is just for emphasis? Only seems to happen in retaliation to something.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Does sticking 'YNWA' at the end of post count for something or is just for emphasis? Only seems to happen in retaliation to something.

No not really .

YNWA

5starpool wrote: »
    Thankfully most of us don't give a crap what people like you think.

if by us you mean liverpool supporters then I am not surprised.

As Perch has twittered:
    To all Liverpool fans giving me stick, what did Carroll do at the other end #AlwaysTheVictimsItsNeverYourFault

• Advertisement

Cups are handed out now on "aggregate performance" yeah? That's a new one to me.

Arsenal have done nothing since what 2005 as regards silverware, is this period a success to Arsenal fans. I'd take what we have done recently over Arsenal anyday, up until 6 games ago we were side by side in the league but heads dropped after we lost to Arsenal in the league in a game we should have easily won.
    come on mate, you put down uefa cup semi finals and european cup quater finals as achievments over the past 4 years. That is aggregating cup performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No not really .

YNWA

Look forward to seeing at the end of every post so, I'll be keeping an eye out.

Maybe it can become Kenny's slogan - You'll Never Work Again

if by us you mean liverpool supporters then I am not surprised.

As Perch has twittered:
    To all Liverpool fans giving me stick, what did Carroll do at the other end #AlwaysTheVictimsItsNeverYourFault

Carroll got punished for his dive, Perch didn't, although he got booked for the kick out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Look forward to seeing at the end of every post so, I'll be keeping an eye out.

Maybe it can become Kenny's slogan - You'll Never Work Again

Oh come on, you are better than that :o

5starpool wrote: »
    Carroll got punished for his dive, Perch didn't, although he got booked for the kick out.

not defending it, but at least there was contact for the perch incident

perhaps carroll shouldve been sent off? after all, had the ref fallen for it krul wouldve gotten the line and liverpool wouldve had a peno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Put it into context:
    Champions League in 2005

In the main that's a ridiculous post, firstly for isolating European success over domestic record and secondly meaningless Super Cups have no place on the list.

Arsenals record over a similar period:

League Titles: 2002, 2004
    FA Cup: 2002, 2003, 2005
    Champions League Finalists: 2006
    Champions League Semi-Finalists 2009
    Champions League Quarter-Finalists (multiple)

Chelsea:

League Titles: 2005, 2006, 2010
    FA Cup: 2007, 2009, 2010
    Champions League Finalists: 2008
    Champions League Quarter Finals: multiple

Liverpool since 2001 League Positions:

2001: 3rd - 11 points from top
    2002: 2nd - 7 points from top
    2003: 5th - 19 points from top
    2004: 4th - 30 points from top
    2005: 5th - 37 points from top
    2006: 3rd - 9 points from top
    2007: 3rd - 21 points from top
    2008: 4th - 11 points from top
    2009: 2nd - 4 points from top
    2010: 7th - 23 points from top
    2011: 6th - 22 points from top

Is that really good enough for a club the "stature" of Liverpool? in 8 of those 11 seasons they finished over 10 points from top and on average over 11 seasons they have finished 17 points off top spot.

You can point to the Champions League title and a few solid european campaigns, but it's been a long, long time since Liverpool have posed any realistic threat domestically.

Some people need to wake up to that fact. I want nothing more than liverpool challenging for domestic honours but it hasn't happened in such a long time and, yet, every year the same noises come out of the liverpool camp, fans and otherwise, about a title bid.

Personally speaking if we are taking the period you mention, i'd infinitely rather Arsenal, Chelsea or Man United record over the period. Spurs and Man City are recently emerging, but of the classic "big 4" it's a no-brainer who has been successful over the period and 1 champions League title will not deflect from that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Football is very cyclical for whatever reason. The city of liverpool dominated in the 1980s - everton and liverpool swept all before them. the 1990s saw the return of Manchester with United the dominant force. The 2000s saw a re-emergence of London to compete, chelsea and arsenal with half the decades titles. As things stand the balance of power in football still remains between Manchester and London; it'll be at least another decade until the balance shifts back to Liverpool on current evidence from Liverpool and Everton.

Football is very cyclical for whatever reason. The city of liverpool dominated in the 1980s - everton and liverpool swept all before them. the 1990s saw the return of Manchester with United the dominant force. The 2000s saw a re-emergence of London to compete, chelsea and arsenal with half the decades titles. As things stand the balance of power in football still remains between Manchester and London; it'll be at least another decade until the balance shifts back to Liverpool on current evidence from Liverpool and Everton.

Looking at that, we haven't completed a cycle once, hence, football is not cyclical. As if Liverpool is destined to be great again. You can't be serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,295 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Liverpool since 2001 League Positions:

2009: 2nd - 4 points from top

but it's been a long, long time since Liverpool have posed any realistic threat domestically.

orly.gif

it's stuff like seeing people post YNWA, blathering on about league titles won 20 odd years ago as if they mean something today, slagging chelsea for having 'plastic fans' and saying things like 'Hodgson didn't ''get'' the club' is what makes people detest Liverpool football club and they wonder why they're such an easy target then things go tits up for them.

Is that why you are seemingly obsessed with Liverpool and post more about Liverpool than about Chelsea?

A few posters on here talking about Liverpool not being a big club... use can say we haven't been a top club for a few years fair enough, but forget about all your stats of where Liverpool have finished the last few years and what cups have been won, the plain simple fact is that what defines a club as big would be far more the size of its fan base rather than how well they have done over the last few years.

Some fans also here talk about there hate towards Liverpool and its fans yet seem to always take a keen interest in posts about liverpool, Kinda mind bogling to me :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement