Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Shard of Glass, EU's tallest skyscraper, is completed

• 01-04-2012 4:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

The final piece of the EU's tallest skyscraper was finally lifted into place yesterday.

The Shard of Glass, on the south bank of the River Thames in Southwark, south London, now stands at its full height of 1,017 feet after the topmost part of the imposing skyscraper - a steel spire weighing about 500 tonnes which was manufactured in Yorkshire, dismantled, transported to London, and then re-assembled again - was placed at the top of the building.

Not only is is the tallest building in the EU but it is the tallest inhabited building in the whole of Europe.

The spire needed the UK's largest crane to lift it in place.

The building - officially called Shard London Bridge - will offer uninterrupted 360-degree views of the capital, stretching for 40 miles in every direction, and will open in June.

Visitors will be able to enjoy the view from an observatory that will be 72 floors up.

The Shard is just one of TWELVE skyscrapers currently under construction in London, including the Bishopsgate Tower in the City which, when completed in 2013, will be the second-tallest skyscraper in the EU at 945 feet.

Another 45 buildings over 325 feet have also been approved in London.

The previous tallest building in the EU was the Commerzbank Tower in Frankfurt, which opened in 2011 and reaches 850 feet.

Read more and see pics: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2123112/Now-Shard-Highest-point-Europes-tallest-building-lifted-place-reaching-310-metres-sky.html#ixzz1qnpMn2I1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

To be closely followed by the Upturned Plug and Big Lego Piece buildings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,141 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Financed by Gulf oil-sheikhs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It reminds me of the Ryugyong Hotel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,141 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

To be closely followed by the Upturned Plug and Big Lego Piece buildings.

I wonder whatever happened to the Crock of Sh1t?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Looks cool imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Yeah I'm not normally a fan of glass and steel monstrosities but that's nice, it has a very futuristic feel to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

down with this sort of thing.

carefull now. (its sharp)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youreadthis

I can't wait to go on the observation floor! The London eye's view of the city kind of sucks...

But this and the Swiss Re are good modern symbols for London.

Shame about the hospital near it though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

If you're going to the expense of building the highest building in London, why not build something that doesn't look shít?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

My first impression was - eyesore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Bleedin state of it.

http://www.ameinfo.com/56699.html
    It is a well established law of the economic jungle that the construction of the world's tallest building is a sign that a boom is nearing or past its top. The Burj Dubai starts to rise from April 15, so is this the beginning of the end for the Dubai construction boom?

Nothing lasts forever. Every major city in the world has seen building booms come and go. Dubai will not be an exception. But don't expect anything to happen in a hurry.

The Burj Dubai - set to be the world's tallest man-made structure - will take several years to complete. Yet on past precedent there are at least a few years before anyone need begin to worry about Dubai.

Just imagine squatting on the top floor!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Should be called "The Shart of Glass"... because it looks sh!t... and painful to look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Damn, to be the crane operator... I'd crap meself from fear of that height! D:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I didn't realise we had so many architecture experts in AH.

The tower hasn't been completed, its just been topped out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I kind of see a strange similarity between the girders on the top & the images after 9/11.

Personally I like London's tall buildings & the way that each one is different. The Nat West tower is ugly & Canary Wharf is not much better but I like the Shard & the Gherkin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I don't think anyone needs to be an architect to be able to appreciate the aesthetic value in something.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

One hell of an erection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

It doesn't really look that tall, they were pretty quick putting it up though, almost every week it was going up a noticeable amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The Daily Mail is so crap; Europe's tallest inhabited building doesn't have a single inhabitant as it's only been topped out, there are gaps in the skin all the way up the building and the internal fit out hasn't started yet. It's not that great a piece of architecture (IMO) particularly since the addition of what's locally referred to as the backpack on its rear ed (basically a cube on the side of what is otherwise a stretched pyramid).

All that said, it's a vast improvement on what was there before - I should know I worked in the prior building or 5-6 years. I still live in he area and hope the construction ends soon. A number of cyclists (including a promising medical student) have died under the wheels of monster dump trucks thundering down tiny local streets and lanes.

The building itself will have lots of offices, Europe's first Shangri-La hotel and 10 apartments, the cheapest of which will cost £24m!!!! Sean Dunne could only have dreamed if such an edifice in Ballsbridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

London used to have nice character, now it looks like the architectural equivalent of a United Colors of Benetton ad.

I'm more of a building services guy.

Hope they have their heating and cooling sorted with all that glass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Batsy wrote: »
    The final piece of the EU's tallest skyscraper was finally lifted into place yesterday.

The Shard of Glass, on the south bank of the River Thames in Southwark, south London, now stands at its full height of 1,017 feet after the topmost part of the imposing skyscraper - a steel spire weighing about 500 tonnes which was manufactured in Yorkshire, dismantled, transported to London, and then re-assembled again - was placed at the top of the building.

Not only is is the tallest building in the EU but it is the tallest inhabited building in the whole of Europe.

The spire needed the UK's largest crane to lift it in place.

The building - officially called Shard London Bridge - will offer uninterrupted 360-degree views of the capital, stretching for 40 miles in every direction, and will open in June.

Visitors will be able to enjoy the view from an observatory that will be 72 floors up.

The Shard is just one of TWELVE skyscrapers currently under construction in London, including the Bishopsgate Tower in the City which, when completed in 2013, will be the second-tallest skyscraper in the EU at 945 feet.

Another 45 buildings over 325 feet have also been approved in London.

The previous tallest building in the EU was the Commerzbank Tower in Frankfurt, which opened in 2011 and reaches 850 feet.

Read more and see pics: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2123112/Now-Shard-Highest-point-Europes-tallest-building-lifted-place-reaching-310-metres-sky.html#ixzz1qnpMn2I1

I knew it all along,the 100 euro household charge isnt for local services.:rolleyes::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Apparently it was financed under Sharia rules & this restricts what type of business can be based in the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Discodog wrote: »
    Apparently it was financed under Sharia rules & this restricts what type of business can be based in the building.

So it's not going to be a brewery/distillery or a bacon factory I take it?

Advertisement