Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

visitor/ iec visa

Options
  • 01-04-2012 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, im just wondering has anybody entered canada as a visitor while waiting for their iec visa? If so had you any trouble at immigration? also didi you have a return flight?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭galwaygal27

bil wrote: »
    Hi, im just wondering has anybody entered canada as a visitor while waiting for their iec visa? If so had you any trouble at immigration? also didi you have a return flight?
    This is a good question, we may need to do this. anyone????

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

I did it last year

Had a freelance job in Ireland I could do from my laptop in Canada, so asked the guy at immigration if I could not activate my visa for a while and just go in as a visitor

He didn't seem too enthused about the idea, but let me through when I showed him a bank statement proving I had enough funds in my account to support myself for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 17 IrishInCalgary

I know people who have done it. You would be advised to have a return ticket or they may very well refuse you. Once your IEC visa comes through you will have to go down to the US border - leave Canada and activate your visa on the way back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 bananarep

Hi bill I had my iec but entered as a visitor as I didn't want to activate my permit until I had a job, no point in loosing precious months of a work permit while still looking for employment! I know some people have been allowed do this at Pearson and other haven't seems to be luck of the draw. If you had a return ticket within the 6 month visitor time I don't see how they could stop you

Advertisement