Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Test for the 2nd time tomorrow morning!! :D

Options
  • 01-04-2012 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

Have my driving test tomorrow morning in finglas for the second time! I failed a month ago with only 5 Grade 2's and 1 Grade 3 for going through an orange light( I was doing 50 when it hit orange so I couldn't have stopped?) so was dissapointed.
    So hopefully I'll get it this time so I can apply for a full licence and drive on my own!! Also when you applu for fulll licence how long does it take for it to come out to you??

WISH ME LUCK!! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Good luck! 5 Grade 2's is a good result, you're well able to pass! :)

When you pass, you have to apply for your full licence - how long it takes to get posted to you varies largely between different offices - it took mine only 2 days to get to me from Dundalk, whereas my brother had to wait 2 weeks a year later, Dundalk also. Best to ask at the motor tax office when you are applying, you are usually told to expect it within 10 working days! Easter may slow things down a bit in your case, though.

As for the amber light thing, you are supposed to anticipate it turning red, especially if the light has been green for a while. This sometimes can mean slowing slightly on approach, or at least preparing to slow (make sure you have looked in your mirrors, you should always know what's behind you when approaching a light that may turn red). Amber means stop unless it's unsafe to do so - sometimes it's safer to keep going, e.g. if it turns amber just as you are about to cross the line, you should never have to brake hard at amber (there could be an articulated lorry, for example, behind you!), but if you have time to speed up (as a lot of drivers do) then you certainly have time to stop!
    It's a bit of a judgement call so it's hard to give advice over the internet about every situation, but generally on approach to a junction, depending on speed etc., you can mentally identify a point near the lights where if you are at it or past it and the lights go amber, you should continue - before this point, you should stop if the lights go amber!

Good luck in the test, let us know how you get on! :)

Advertisement