Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grounds for breaking a lease?

Options
  • 01-04-2012 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

If I was to lose my job and the landlord refused to take rent allowance would this be a good enough reason for me to break a lease or would I still be liable for the rent for the remaining months on the lease? Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭someuser905

give the owner as much notice as you can and help find a new tenant
    maybe it wont cost you anything, maybe a few hundred euro

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If you cannot pay the rent without rent allowance and all that requires of him is to sign a few forms, I think he'd have little chance of claiming off you if you moved out. In claiming for damages for breach of lease (incl deposit retention), the landlord has a duty to act to minImise his loss. Generally this is asking to relet as soon as possible but should also include taking actions to facilitate yo meeting your obligations, ie facilitating the rent allowance claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Why would the landlord refuse rent allowance?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

I rent out a property and have given back deposits even when people had to break the lease. Most people are understanding .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭skeptik

wyndham wrote: »
    Why would the landlord refuse rent allowance?

well from what I can see through speaking to estate agents and making enquiries about places for rent, the majority of landlords will not, even with things the way they are, accept rent allowance. I guess the attitudes of people haven't really changed regarding renting places to people on social welfare. They seem to still think the place will be wrecked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement