Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppy worming problems

• 01-04-2012 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

hi started worming my puppy this week just as a precaution as I didnt think he had worms and yesterday he pooed and there was worms in it big ones :eek: anyway I continued treatment and last night he started shaking and threw up a big pile of worms they were still alive!Ive given him his last dose just now and nothing yet but Im wondering is it normal for him to throw them up?I would have thought they were in his intestines and not high up in his belly? I should have realised he had worms as he had a big bloated belly but I thought it was because he was still with his mother until last week the vet thought the same and told me to watch his weight :rolleyes: is this all normal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

The poor pup. He's obviously never been wormed in his life until you started, pups should be done from a few weeks old, they are born with worms.

I'd check with the vet, but you may need to continue with the treatment if the infestation is that bad. Unfortunately, whilst its really unpleasant, it wouldn't be abnormal for a pup that has never been wormed. Although I'm very surprised at the vet, not recognising the big bloated belly for what it was.

How old is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

+1

Almost all puppies are born with worms, the most common being roundworms (Toxocara canis). Its very common and very treatable if caught early enough. Its clear your pup has a very high worm burden due to him vomiting them up. They have a complex life cycle and the larval stage can migrate literally through the gut wall. Its pretty serious if a dog is left untreated though. You will need numerous deworming treatments to clear this up and maintain it regularly as the next stage larvae are ready and waiting to mature to the adult stage so regular treatment is a must.

What wormer are you using? Not all are effective on every type of parasite so you need to check that the active ingredient eg. febendazole is going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭margio

yeah, I have seen dogs throw up worms, plenty of times, because of his age, I would get a vet to treat him for them, just this once, just to be sure. Because sometimes i have seen dogs treated for worms even with reputable products, but they still continue to have worms,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

My puppy had worms when I got him..never threw them up but lots in his poo, especially for a tiny dog. Anyway I used drontal (as recommended by the vet) it's comes in tablet or liquid form. I used the tablet, because of his tiny size he was just given a quarter of it at a time, crushed it into a small piece of ham, he loved it! It comes with dosage instructions and here's what my vet recommended for my puppy.

Give him a wormer every 2 weeks until he's 3 months old, once a month from 3-6 months and forever more every 4 months.

I was told the frequency had something to do with the life cycle of the worms. When you kill the grown worms there are still eggs inside waiting to develop.

He's 6 months old now and haven't seen a worm in 3 months. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

sorry for late reply midterm madness in our house :rolleyes: Ive been using parazole dog and cat wormer Ive been giving it to our cat too just in case the puppy gave him worms too he seems much better now his stomach is not swollen looking It says on the bottle to be given every two weeks from two weeks old to eight then a top up every few months he was never wormed when we got him so im going to do it every two weeks for a month or so just to be sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Parazole is very effective and very gentle. Good idea to worm the cat as well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭lisaj

Same going on in our house with our 8 week old puppy. Freaked me out when it started coming out of her bum eeeekkk!!!

Should the humans in the house get worm tablets also? I know it sounds silly but I am now paranoid that I could have caught them off her!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

lisaj wrote: »
    Same going on in our house with our 8 week old puppy. Freaked me out when it started coming out of her bum eeeekkk!!!

Should the humans in the house get worm tablets also? I know it sounds silly but I am now paranoid that I could have caught them off her!
    Yes, humans should be wormed too. They can be got through soil, raw fish, dirty swimming water etc. Your pharmacist will advise you. Part of the reason hands must be washed before meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭lisaj

Holy Moly, I think I would totally freak out if I had worms. Yuck! Better to be safe than sorry I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

lisaj wrote: »
    Holy Moly, I think I would totally freak out if I had worms. Yuck! Better to be safe than sorry I suppose.
    Hadn't time to post all this, so here goes: Worms, their eggs or larvae are in lots of stuff as mentioned before, tapeworm can be got from undercooked pork etc. and from some sexual activities, eg. rimming. Did you know that some Hollywood stars get a tapeworm implanted to keep weight down? When children, we were dosed regularly, but only found out more fairly recently. Bought cod at a supermarket and when I went to cook it, there were worms in it. I asked a sea angler working with me about it, he said it's very common. Told me to put a piece of cod on the draining board in a dark kitchen, switch off the light, wait a while, light on and you can see the worms standing upright - he was right! Since found out that the first job Bjork had was taking the biggest worms out of cod in a fish factory in Iceland. Now, that's why you take a worm dose. Gross stuff all right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Yeah worms can freak you out but most fish worms won't do you any harm once cooked.
    Eating raw fish can expose you to the Anasakis worm which is not a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ok, while your statements are true, you haven't explained why this isn't generally a major health implication for most people in the Western world, who cook their food correctly and obey correct hygiene practices.

Monsters Inside Me has a lot to answer for :p

Human or animal based Parasitology is not even taught as a discipline in Biomedical Science in this country (only Veterinary Medicine).Thats how low down on the list of severity it is here. Biomedical Science is the laboratory based science that doctors rely on to diagnose illnesses and parasitological illness is generally last on their list of differential diagnoses.This isnt to say it doesnt matter or doesnt exist...its just not that common.
    noddyone2 wrote: »
    Hadn't time to post all this, so here goes: Worms, their eggs or larvae are in lots of stuff as mentioned before, tapeworm can be got from undercooked pork etc. and from some sexual activities, eg. rimming.
    Most people dont eat undercooked pork, its an accepted and understood rule of thumb not to eat said meat. As for "rimming"...thats a different story.:o
    wrote:
    Did you know that some Hollywood stars get a tapeworm implanted to keep weight down?
    This again is offered as a supposed medical treatment whereby beef with encysted beef larvae are eaten and allowed to mature. Its offered in some Mexican clinics, where it costs upwards of $2000 to have this done. All i can say about this is craaazy and desperate. Our meat industry and its practices are pretty much immaculate whereby this parasite (Taenia saginata) is very rarely found, even in the worst maintained of cattle. If you eat imported meat (most of it is), again the chances of transmission are low, but not negligible. We have very tough immune systems that are unlikely to harbour parasites or their lifecycle for very long. This isnt saying we don't though. Up to 80% of us can have some form of a "parasite"(the list is endless) without ever having any ill effects whatsoever.
    wrote:
    When children, we were dosed regularly, but only found out more fairly recently.
    Human Pinworm, very common, easily treated and generally cause no problems whatsoever.
    wrote:
    Bought cod at a supermarket and when I went to cook it, there were worms in it.
    Again, only a possible issue if you eat undercooked cod. I dont know anyone who doesnt eat properly cooked cod. The stuff in the chippers (even if its half cod) is fried to within an inch of its life.

With Toxocara canis, the most common roundworm in dogs, humans arent the definitive host. Its the wandering larvae that dont die that cause the problems, migrating to other parts of the body when they get confused i.e.the eye, that they shouldnt. It's barely even on doctors radars of conditions to be worried about its so rare.There was a recent thread that showed how low the number of actual Ocular Larval Migrans

You would freak out if you knew what kind of organisms your body could be a potential host for, but in Ireland, as a major health issue its not something that is top of the list. Worldwide, its a different story though where human,animal, health and food standards are completely different and parasitology and its consequences are taken far more seriously.

Advertisement