Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottled milk delivered to your door

Options
  • 01-04-2012 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello

Just wonderin if there would be much interest in a milk delivery service in co galway. It would be bottled milk, eggs and orange juice delivered to your door before 7am. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

It depends really. How much would you charge for the service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

We used to avail of a similiar service - cancelled it due to ...

a) difficulty in cancelling deliveries if we were away...

b) They called for payment once a week - if we weren't home from work when they called we mighn't see them for three/fours weeks and were faced with a much bigger bill in one go than we would have liked...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rockygalway

It is 1 euro a pint and 1.50 a litre. A dozen eggs are 2.30 and a litre of orange juice is 2 euro. They are locally produced and tastes way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I had this service 2 years ago for a few months. Suppose it was good but we stopped it as we just got those things anyway when buying other things in the shops. And price wise there wasn't a difference so merely a slight advantage in convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I am living in Dublin for the summer but would certainly be interested if such a service was available for next year

• Advertisement

Hi pjmn

All orders can be changed or cancelled up to the night before delivery by text, e mail or phone. As for payment it will be paid once a month in advance of delivery, any changes will be credited to your account. Good idea or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Hi pjmn

All orders can be changed or cancelled up to the night before delivery by text, e mail or phone. As for payment it will be paid once a month in advance of delivery, any changes will be credited to your account. Good idea or not?

... text option is a good idea (wasn't there in our day).

... paying a month in advance (?) - say 2 ltrs a day @ E1.50 each is E90 up front - think I'd prefer to pay on a daily basis... (just my opinion)....

pjmn

If it suited people better to pay daily im sure it could be arranged. Deliveries would be mon, wed and fri

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Love the idea of bottled milk but live in an apartment complex. :/

What's the source of the food? Local I presume? I'm just thinking if you can put a unique spin on it to entice people away from the centra.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Tesco deliver all that and more, and dont leave it outside for people to nick ... sorry to be negative, op, but it had to be said.

• Advertisement

Would you be delivering to Galway City?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

JustMary wrote: »
    Tesco deliver all that and more, and dont leave it outside for people to nick ... sorry to be negative, op, but it had to be said.

How much would Tesco charge to deliver 2 litres of milk 3 times a week? We have a delivery of milk and its great we dont get caught out with no milk anymore, is easy to cancel/ put off a delivery and is a weekly payment. It works for us but everyone may have different needs so is a positive from me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Webbs wrote: »
    How much would Tesco charge to deliver 2 litres of milk 3 times a week? We have a delivery of milk and its great we dont get caught out with no milk anymore, is easy to cancel/ put off a delivery and is a weekly payment. It works for us but everyone may have different needs so is a positive from me

Tesco charge between 4-7 quid to deliver anything, so a pint of milk would be at least a fiver!

OP, I would be up for it, and would like to support a small business if the produce was good. Maybe consider having the option free range eggs, goats/soy milk (a lot of people with coeliac in Galway).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭RINO87

I like the idea and would go for it!! especially if its raw milk!! (can of worms, i know)

get veg delivered from green earth organics and think its a great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

RINO87 wrote: »
    I like the idea and would go for it!! especially if its raw milk!! (can of worms, i know)

get veg delivered from green earth organics and think its a great service.

Don't think you'll have any luck with getting raw milk.
    I wanted to sell raw goat milk but was told no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    Tesco charge between 4-7 quid to deliver anything, so a pint of milk would be at least a fiver!

Yeah, but who only buys milk, eggs and orange juice anymore. And what food supply company is prepared to take the risk of having the goods tampered with in between them being dropped off at an unsupervised location and picked up by the purchaser.

This sort of business had a place in the days when refrigeration and roads weren't as good as they are now, and less people had cars or supermarket access.

But the people running them went out of the business because the numbers didn't stack up any more.

I can't see that anything has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

Hello

Just wonderin if there would be much interest in a milk delivery service in co galway. It would be bottled milk, eggs and orange juice delivered to your door before 7am. Cheers

I'm in the Meath area and avail of a similiar service, it is wonderful service and saves me an absolute fortune, more often than not I had to go to the shop for milk or eggs and always spent 30 or more euro per trip. Now I have milk, eggs, and juice delivered I stay away from the market until I do my mai shop.

Knock on the doors, have a price list, have an email service (This is great), collect payment every 2 weeks, I find this much better than weekly and monthly is too long.

Best of luck.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

JustMary wrote: »
    inisboffin wrote: »

Yeah, but who only buys milk, eggs and orange juice anymore. And what food supply company is prepared to take the risk of having the goods tampered with in between them being dropped off at an unsupervised location and picked up by the purchaser.

This sort of business had a place in the days when refrigeration and roads weren't as good as they are now, and less people had cars or supermarket access.

But the people running them went out of the business because the numbers didn't stack up any more.

I can't see that anything has changed.

A lot of people do in a 'small shop'. Bread and fags are the other two common things youd see convenience shop most. As some have mentioned, they overshop when they 'just nip up' for milk and eggs, I know I do.

People do a big shop weekly, but top up with breakfast stuff, I see it with myself and with friends. I think there is a bit of a nostalgia factor too maybe, but personally if it was actual glass bottles, it would also be more appealing for environmental reasons.
    Won't work for every household - location and stuff being nicked may be an issue more places than others, but definitely see a Market for it in the suburbs, particularly if folks are a trot from the shops.

Advertisement