Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flavourless beef

Options
  • 01-04-2012 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

I need help. I have been trying to make an Indonesian beef renndang. I had bought a number if different renndang pastes to see which I prefer. Usually I add the paste to hot oil for a min, then I add cubed beef and fry for a minute until beef is covered in paste. I then add coconut milk, bring to boil and then cover and summer on low heat. These are the instructions I have followed from the jar.

However it never works. The beef always seems tougher, chewier than what I want even though I simmer at lowest hear. Secondly the beef is tasteless. It tastes like I boiled the cubes and just added them to cooked sauce. Hen I get it from restaurant the beef is always tender and flavoursome!!

What do I need to do to remedy this??

Thanks

frAg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

A couple of questions - what cut of beef have you been using? How long do you simmer the dish for?

The reason I ask is that some cuts of beef lend themselves to quick cooking, others improve with a long slow simmer. I always - ALWAYS - brown my beef before stewing, casseroling, simmering, adding to curries etc. There's this thing called the Maillard reaction, which is what takes place when you brown a piece of meat (and other stuff) - but all you need to know is that it creates flavour - and it occurs at high temperatures. Try pre-searing your meat in a frying pan - use a splash of oil, allow the pan to get really hot, then brown a few pieces of beef at a time - really brown them, don't 'grey' them - you want to be seeing that deep brown, caramelised look. It won't work if you overload the pan, the meat will steam instead, so do a few pieces at a time. This will add flavour to your dish.

As far as the toughness goes - if you're simmering for a long time, you'll be wanting to use meat that's well marbled, and has a lot of internal fat/connective tissue that will break down as the meat cooks slowly - ask your butcher what cut he/she recommends, or buy meat labelled as 'stewing steak'. Long slow cooking will ruin something like a fillet steak, but will allow a cheaper cut to tenderize. I think you already know that boiling toughens meat - simmering is the way to go.

On the other hand it may be that the restaurants you've eaten this in use something that cooks quickly and remains tender - eg the aforementioned fillet - and then they add this to the sauce, rather than simmering it in the sauce.

I'm leaning towards the pre-searing, myself - it really does make a difference. I know exactly what you mean about tasteless cubes of beef, and was afflicted with them in my own cooking until I read up on the Maillard reaction :) Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've not tried it but this recipe posted by Minder looks very good.

I'd also suspect you are using the wrong cut of meat for this dish and while the recipe I linked doesn't brown the meat first cause it fries as the liquid evaporates, what Darkginger says mekes a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

That rendang recipe is spectacular and I've made it a few times, but I can't stress enough the importance of the last half hour. It takes a long time to cook down, and has a high propensity to burn in the last few minutes, so you can literally spend all that time and effort and then wreck it in the last five minutes if you take your eye off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I would say the quality of the meat is important aswell, and agree with others about using the right cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Unless you make it from scratch, you will never get a flavourful beef rendang dish. Also, the key is to slow cook it for 2 hours minimum.

However with ready-made jar of paste I would often add extra onion, garlic, ginger, galangal (all blitzed together) lemongrass (very finely sliced) and kaffir lime leaves. Sautée them all (bar the lime leaves, add them half way through the cooking process) until fragrant, add the paste and let it cook away until the oil starts to surface. Keep an eye on it, don't let it burn. Once the paste is 'cooked' add the beef and sear it. Then add only half the coconut milk and same amount of water. Let it stew away until the beef has that melt-in-mouth texture and the sauce has reduced significantly.
    Only the last few minutes of cooking should you add the rest of the thick coconut milk and reduce it further until preferred consistency.
    Done.

• Advertisement

Can I just ask, what paste did you get, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Can I just ask, what paste did you get, OP?

I bought two different types but cant remember the brand. I got them from the Oriental Emporium in Rathmines, they had several types of rendang paste there. Sorry I cant be any more help!

frAg

As far as instant goes, I find the Brahim's Rendang Sauce best. You can get them at that OE or the other ones on Jervis and George's St. Also avail in Drury St's Asia Market.

I'd ignore the instructions on the packet and cook it as posted above.

Mrs Fox your a star.

I will pop in and pick some up in Rathmines this week.

Out of interest does it darken as it cooks or is it a light colour?

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

op, you still haven't said what cut of beef you're using for this.

• Advertisement

Honestly don't know the exact cut. I asked the butcher for some beef and explained in detail to him that it would be slow cooked for a few hrs. He grabbed a piece and cubed it for me.

frag420 wrote: »
    Mrs Fox your a star.

I will pop in and pick some up in Rathmines this week.

Out of interest does it darken as it cooks or is it a light colour?

frAg

It's lightish, almost taupe colored.
    The darker rendangs are the result of adding the kerisik paste.
    To make kerisik, dry-fry a cup of desiccated coconut in a wok, stirring it constantly, until it has darken but not burnt. This will take about 10-15 min. Then pound it with a mortar & pestle until it turns into an oily paste. Add the paste into your rendang towards the end of the cooking process. It will not only darken the colour but add depth to the flavour.

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    It's lightish, almost taupe colored.
    The darker rendangs are the result of adding the kerisik paste.
    To make kerisik, dry-fry a cup of desiccated coconut in a wok, stirring it constantly, until it has darken but not burnt. This will take about 10-15 min. Then pound it with a mortar & pestle until it turns into an oily paste. Add the paste into your rendang towards the end of the cooking process. It will not only darken the colour but add depth to the flavour.

Can the kerisik paste be bought or would I be better making it myself. Will have to get a good mortar & peslte too!!

Out of interest have you sampled any good rendang around Dublin(assuming thats where you are) I used to love the beef rendang from Lemongrass before it closed all its restaurants a few yrs ago hence the homemade attempts.

frAg

You're in luck! The Hibiscus Asian Store in Lucan sells ready made Kerisik paste.

And while you're there you can get your hands on Instant Rendang or Rendang Spice Powder.

To be honest with you I've always preferred home-made Rendang; the only really good ones I've ever had were in (obviously) Malaysia :D
    Having said that I've never tried the one from Lemongrass; I believe they had Malaysian chefs in the kitchen so I'd have to take your word on their Rendang!

i shall have to venture out to Lucan and pick some up. I used to eat in the Lemongrass in Sligo. Every friday without fail I got my rendang, was addicted ha ha!! Most recently I got it from Shangri La in Stoney batter. It was a darker sauce and while Lemon Grass used slim cuts of beef this place used large beef cubes, delish!!

I shall revert back here at some once I have tried it your way and letyou know how it goes.

frAg

Well if you're gagging for it you can always pop in to one of the last remaining Lemongrass in Liffey Valley ;)

They only do a lamb rendang if I remember correctly but if neads must then I may treat myself this weekend!!

drooling on work computer now.....................not good!!

Advertisement