Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easycap in Ireland

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

You should prob post in the games recording section.

I am interested in how it apparently records in 720p when it uses composite, an SD video format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Yeah I was wondering the same myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

I think PowerCity might sell them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

I am interested in how it apparently records in 720p when it uses composite, an SD video format.

i think it seems to be that you play in 480 and then it can be converted higher after
    but hey i've no idea :D

Crosáidí wrote: »
    I think PowerCity might sell them

They do, but they don't work on w7, AFAIK there's drivers only for Vista and XP, at least there was last time I checked. TBH you can get a knock off one for under a tenner off ebay or amazon, I'd find one which ships from Europe and go for that, if I was recording in 360p.
    TheGunns wrote: »
    i think it seems to be that you play in 480 and then it can be converted higher after
    but hey i've no idea :D

That's not really HD though, it's like shining up a turd :D They're chancing their arm.

AFAIK http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/game-capture/console/overview.html is the cheapest HD capture solution. I've heard problems but to be honest I've heard problems about everything including the high end black magic stuff, so I don't know how much heed you'd need to pay.

• Advertisement

anywhere other than power city?
    Maplin maybe?

Would I be better off waiting and saving and just record off PC for awhile or go straight in for 100 quid for the Roxio? Have my reservations. Looking for something to put on Youtube, to get some views but also to show them to my brother in Australia; anyone have any advice on how to do that without violating the copyright?

anywhere other than power city?
    Maplin maybe?

Would I be better off waiting and saving and just record off PC for awhile or go straight in for 100 quid for the Roxio? Have my reservations. Looking for something to put on Youtube, to get some views but also to show them to my brother in Australia; anyone have any advice on how to do that without violating the copyright?

The only place I have physically seen one is Power City, but I use a hauppage so I woulsn't really be looking.

It depends how pushed you are about quality, tbh :) if you want HD vids, the Roxio is the bare minimum, If you're fine with 4:3 360p videos, easycap is your man (don't bother with Dazzle, it's way more expensive for no extra quality).

If you put video game footage up on youtube without permission from the publisher, you are pretty much automatically breaching copyright: however if you use it in a transformative work technically this could be challenged (such as putting commentary over it or using a short clip only for education on how to get through a rough bit of the game) but it's never been done so successfully, yet.

It's not all bad though- the vast majority of game companies won't claim on a youtube video as long as it's not up before it's release or doesn't show endings etc in the first week or two- youtube footage is free promotional footage (I have over 1,300 fighting game vids on my channel and not one has had a take down notice filed against me). They may inform youtube they own the content (a content match) but not pursue it.

thanks for moving this

Still very undecided, will prob wait till the summer and do a bit more research
    most of what I can see is people giving advice on how to monetize them

@Doctor DooM are your youtube videos monetized?

thanks for moving this

Still very undecided, will prob wait till the summer and do a bit more research
    most of what I can see is people giving advice on how to monetize them

@Doctor DooM are your youtube videos monetized?

No, I don't monitize them. I don't think it's worth the risk (and youtube have been asking me to!)

Potentially in the not too far future though I could prbably monetize through machinima or pulse, if they continue to gather steam (bear in mind I record other people playing in tournaments with commentary and the like rather than my own stuff).

The other alternative is if I get enough noterity in the fighting game scene I may be allowed the rights to monetize from capcom or SNK playmore or whoever.

was now looking at getting a dazzle to record anybody have any idea which one should i get or do all the dazzles work for recording?

• Advertisement

was now looking at getting a dazzle to record anybody have any idea which one should i get or do all the dazzles work for recording?

There's no point in getting a dazzle over an easycap AFAIK. the end results are exactly the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

If you look on adverts people sell them, but heck. People are selling HD PVRs for 100euro on there. I'd sooner wait and get the money for that instead.

If you look on adverts people sell them, but heck. People are selling HD PVRs for 100euro on there. I'd sooner wait and get the money for that instead.

any idea if the hd pvr or the roxio record in standard definition?

Dazzle and Easycap both record in 480p, and you can only play in 480p whilst recording.
    The roxio records in 480p, but you can play in 720p.
    The HD PVR records in 720p and you can play in 720p.

HD PVR is the best, but the Roxio does the job. I'd stay away from Dazzle and Easycap altogether.

I dunno about the Roxio but the hd pvr has svideo and composite in on the front for SD inputs.

I can't post a pic of it right now but if you do a search for an image of the front you'll see it clearly.

EDIT: As above, if you're asking which is the best though for quality, hauppage does 720p/ 60 fps.

Dazzle and Easycap both record in 480p, and you can only play in 480p whilst recording.
    The roxio records in 480p, but you can play in 720p.
    The HD PVR records in 720p and you can play in 720p.

HD PVR is the best, but the Roxio does the job. I'd stay away from Dazzle and Easycap altogether.

sorry for the newbishness but i dont currently have a hdtv to record on so would the hd pvr still work or would the roxio be a better option?

sorry for the newbishness but i dont currently have a hdtv to record on so would the hd pvr still work or would the roxio be a better option?

I believe your able to record in standard definition with the HD PVR too, don't hold me to that though. Roxio is probably simpler to setup and use too.

will the picture or quality of the recording suffer if the specs on my computer arent great?

looked and the hd pvr is around 130 new from amazon so may try and hold out for that

will the picture or quality of the recording suffer if the specs on my computer arent great?

looked and the hd pvr is around 130 new from amazon so may try and hold out for that

The great thing about the hauppage over the other cheaper solutions you've mentioned is that the device itself does most of the work. A nice H264 HD move just pops out of it and onto your machine.

I was running mine off a mac with 2GB ram and a 4 year old dual core and it worked no problem.

IF you know you'll use it the hauppage is a great device.

Advertisement