Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help! Need to find shops that stock small/petite women's clothes!

• 01-04-2012 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Had a very annoying experience today.......

I'm about 5 ft 2 or 3, and have ALWAYS been a size 8 in dresses/tops, recently took up running and toned up a bit, but didn't lose weight or anything-should be the same size as always. Was shopping ALL day in Debenhams, Warehouse, M&S as I needed some professional attire semi urgently for a work thing next week. Tried on multiple size 8s, dresses, skirts, jackets and all too big. Went to principles, petite sections everywhere-nothing fits.

So tried on the ONLY size six in the shop, fit perfectly but was horribly cut and an ugly colour to boot. Asked assistants-hardly anything comes in a six and if it does you have to order in advance. French Connection size 8s seem to still BE size 8s, but all they do is sequinny going out stuff from what I saw....

Would really appreciate if anyone had any advice on where to buy petite clothes in Dublin anymore??? Nowhere does size six, size eights seem to have been increased somehow (phenomenon of "vanity sizing"?? I dunno). I'm an adult professional and I can't find what I need in kids clothes-obviously-so is there ANYWHERE that does size sixes for short women?? Would so appreciate knowing where-used to be if I went to the States or Asia or somewhere I'd always load up but not travelling so much anymore.....

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Have you tried Next? Their petite line comes in size 6. I'm not sure which branch has the best selection, but you could call ahead and make sure the particular store has some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I have same problem. Sizes seem to be getting bigger!. I'm not getting smaller as all my old clothes fit the same as the day I bought them. Warehouse do size 6 which is really a size 8 IMO. I find I have to get clothes altered a lot as I find it hard to get a good fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Jane5

Must try Next! thanks for the tip! :) one shop I didn't go into today-should've done!

it's not just me then-I think sizes ARE getting bigger, and quickly too-I used to could wear a size 10 if no 8s around and now EVERY 10 hangs like a sack, and my old tens bought some years ago still fit just fine.... if this trend continues petite women will be "sized out" of most clothing lines!

Why is clothing suddenly getting bigger and bigger? and why aren't shops stocking smaller sizes anymore? there are plenty small women around as far as I can see, it's not like there's no market for the smaller sizes or anything!

I know! Any shops that do stock a petite range only have very limited and boring choice.

Topshop - very limited

Next - I hate their clothes

Are there any brands that are sold in boutiques that sit a small frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭puss

Have you tried Precis. There are in Clerys and Arnotts.
    http://www.precis.co.uk/

• Advertisement

puss wrote: »
    Have you tried Precis. There are in Clerys and Arnotts.
    http://www.precis.co.uk/

What floor? Possibly a bit too mature looking for me but worth a look.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What about Monsoon?Lots of the shops in Kildare Village seem to be for small sizes. might be worth a rootle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Maybe miss selfridge? They do a size 6 and a petite section that goes down to a 4. You won't get a suit really but might get lovely seperates- surprisingly nice stuff in there. Have a look online first. The one in town in tiny, liffey valley is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

Try Italian, Spanish or French brands, they tend to have smaller cuts. Their leg could be long though.

I know that in Mango I'm a size bigger than elsewhere. Zara is the same sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

H&M would be worth a look, they seem to have a good range of size six

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I am a size 6- Warehouse sizes are ridiculous, as are Oasis. Some 8s may fit me but usually the shoulders are massive (I have tiny shoulders and waist and large bust)

I found some fab dresses in the €13-€25 mark in Forever21. Size small and fitting me, with not being too long at 5ft. They'd be lovely under a blazer for work.

Usually, I find dresses there, have one FCUK but it's a going out dress, New Look also have nice sizes.

Trousers has to be Topshop and usually when I'm in UK as selection here for smallies isn't great.

I believe, that trying on an 8 and it swimming on me means it must not be a true 8 - Warehouse/Oasis and lots of other shops. I just don't consider going in there then.

TK Maxx also, you might be lucky - if you're willing to root.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Jane5

Thanks for all the suggestions ladies, it's a relief to know there are still clothes out there that fit! Usually shop in Warehouse/Debenhams but recently all their clothes seem bigger and less choice in the small sizes.... good suggestion bout French/Spanish/Italian brands also-Thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭puss

mood wrote: »
    What floor? Possibly a bit too mature looking for me but worth a look.

1st floor in Clerys. Just checked the Arnotts' website and it looks like they don't stock precis anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I feel your pain! I'm 5'1 and a size 6 and I don't even bother buying clothes anymore, nothing fits me. H&M is your best bet or just get things taken up.

Advertisement