Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone ever have a pet sent in the post?

• 01-04-2012 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I 1997 I had a (Theraphosa blondi) Goliath bird-eater tarantula posted from Bristol to Ennis where I lived at the time. The dealer who sold me it would not post before the middle of march and at that held out for a mild spell.

The Spider arrived in an large Aerobord packed box, I was advised to be at the post central post office at dawn in person to pick up the parcel. It survived the trip and I kept it for 6 months and then sold it on to a guy that collected it.

I see that a pet shop in the UK was brought up on cruelty charges for posting fish and terrapins. If this is the case could the agent that posted me the spiders be done on similar charges?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2123495/Pet-shop-owner-admits-animal-cruelty-sending-live-fish-post.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Dunno, hopefully. It's a really bad idea too risky for any live animal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I've heard of puppies being sent over from the Isle of Men ;)

Were you not worried it might die in transit OP? Also did you have any hassle with An Post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Imagine someone dropped and cracked the box in transit! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭antocann

iv recieved lizards and snakes , sent by 24 hours delivery , all packed well with heat packs ,

all arrived fine also , most people will post the spider but not early in the year as the cold will more than likely kill them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

tk123 wrote: »
    I've heard of puppies being sent over from the Isle of Men ;)

Were you not worried it might die in transit OP? Also did you have any hassle with An Post?
    No, guy assured me that it would be fine as that was the way he would normally send them, There wasn't too much room inside the package for it to be tossed about, ie abdomen burst etc which could happen to a large spider if the packet was thrown about.

I knew the guys in the sorting office as my business was in the same estate. I told them what I was expecting and they could see the funny side of it, I also showed it to them when it was in its aquarium. They were very helpful, A few weeks before I found a parcel that fell from a van and brought it in to them so they owed me one.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement