Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fleas everywhere - no pets at home!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭lo0kash

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Please dont quote posts like that one--Report them instead.

Sorry, I didn't think it might be serious.

ISDW wrote: »
    Is it a solid fence between the two houses? I don't see how fleas can be passing over a fence onto you?:confused:

It's more less something like that:

http://www.ricksfencing.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/good-neighbor-cedar-fence.jpg

but with bigger gaps. The dog is 1m from my patio door. Houses are really close to each other here :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Op is there a house the far side or behind the house with the dog, if so have you spoken to them.

Any inprovement yet? De flead all mine yesterday you had me stratching.

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Op is there a house the far side or behind the house with the dog, if so have you spoken to them.

Any inprovement yet? De flead all mine yesterday you had me stratching.

No, I didn't speak to any neighbours about this issue yet.

There is some improvement, although we do not use our garden... The house is treated with an IGR spray and it's hoovered very often, but apparently at least one flea survived as my son has new bite marks :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 murmur

Hi, we are having a similar problem at the moment. Since late February my son and I have been getting bites. Maybe only once every couple of weeks but will get a few at a time each time. My husband and baby aren't affected.

We have a dog but there was absolutely no indication she has/had fleas, we have treated her anyway in case. Twice outside I found a little black thing on me when I felt myself getting bitten, but I didn't get a chance to take a photo or get a good look. It didn't appear to have wings, but doesn't look like the pictures of fleas I found on google either. Also bites initially were on my legs but now I get them on my back & neck too.

I have sprayed couches, cushions, curtains, anything I can think of. Should I spray mattresses? I am not convinced it is a problem in the house but I did get bitten while inside a few times, maybe am carrying something in from outside? It is driving me crazy, especially with baby in the house.

I live in the country and our lawn is v long, due to be cut shortly. Could it be something living in the long grass?
    Any ideas greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement

murmur wrote: »
    Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Hi there. As at this point I have a fair idea how to deal with it, so here is my advice as how to keep the problem under control.

But first of all I'd bring the dog to a vet for a check-up, the animal is an obvious source of fleas.
    If the dog however is free from fleas AND you are sure you have flea problem - read on.

Do not spray beddings.
    Use a spray with an IGR formula - they have it at woodies - white container cost approx 13 quid. Air the house for a very long time after spraying, especially if you have a small baby. We only sprayed the house once - carpets, rugs, sofa and all the corners etc. I believe spraying the house too often may be risky for your health.

I think you are carrying them from outside (as we did). Yes, the fleas live in longer grass, keep it as short as possible. We don't use our garden at all now.
    Do an experiment - on a sunny day go outside wearing white/fair socks / trousers for 10-15 minutes, go on the grass. Then check clothes. Each time you come back from outside (after cutting the grass etc) check your clothes put all your clothes into a plastic bag, take a shower and give the clothes a good handwash.

My guess is your husband and baby aren't affected because they may not go to the garden as often as you do?

Hoover the whole house as often as possible. For first two weeks we were hoovering daily everywhere. Under furniture as well. Make sure I'd put the vacuum bag into the plastic bag while vacuum not in use.

We bought a natural powder killing fleas (in woodies, green plastic container) and spread it on the grass outside.

This is a nasty problem but we managed to keep it under control, we hope to start using our garden again soon.

Good luck - these insects can be defeated!

Advertisement