Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abismal Eircom Broadband

Options
  • 01-04-2012 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Having very poor internet speed for the last couple of months, Eircom sent out a technician and afaik he tested our home lines and they were fine, and diagnosed a fried router. He sent out a new router, (free of charge, providing we signed up for another year) since then the broadband has been working most of the time, albeit very very slowly, dial-up would probably give it a run for its money. I am now connected using my 02 Dongle.
    Questions are this;
    is there anything I can do/check at home to ensure i have an optimised connection.
    how can i check my broadband speed,
    should we be paying full rate for a partial service, or should eircom be charging a reduced rate for this poor connection.

We cannot watch videos on youtube/facebook, normal websites take an age to load.

Any help much appreciated, or is anyone else on other networks having any trouble

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Are you connecting via wifi or cable? If its wifi then you should try it with an ethernet cable to see what speeds you are getting. If there is a big difference between wifi and cable then try changing channels in the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mkie

connected using both, the home pc is direct into the modem, and the laptop is wifi, both are pretty poor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

mkie wrote: »
    Having very poor internet speed for the last couple of months, Eircom sent out a technician and afaik he tested our home lines and they were fine, and diagnosed a fried router. He sent out a new router, (free of charge, providing we signed up for another year) since then the broadband has been working most of the time, albeit very very slowly, dial-up would probably give it a run for its money. I am now connected using my 02 Dongle.
    Questions are this;
    is there anything I can do/check at home to ensure i have an optimised connection.
    how can i check my broadband speed,
    should we be paying full rate for a partial service, or should eircom be charging a reduced rate for this poor connection.

We cannot watch videos on youtube/facebook, normal websites take an age to load.

Any help much appreciated, or is anyone else on other networks having any trouble

Hi mkie,

Thanks for posting on the eircom Forum on boards.ie

Please try the following quick broadband checks. If still having a problem then give eircom Broadband Support a call. They will be able to check your broaband with you when you are the phone.

http://bit.ly/BBChecks

Remember, try to connect just one computer only. If possible connect this over Ethernet cable rather than over wireless. This will rule out a local wireless signal issue. Shut down all other computers (PC's, laptops, SmartPhones, Wireless printers, etc) while testing your connection. Make sure you are not testing your broadband speed with other applications open. The above broadband checks website will guide you on the best broadband modem setup.

Test your connection after each stage to see if this improves your broadband connection.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 8am - 10pm (7 days).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call and help if you need to follow this up. Alternatively, let me know your case id and I will follow this up with Technical Support.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Advertisement