Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deck hand jobs on supply/windfarm vessels

Options
  • 01-04-2012 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi,

Any of you know are there jobs available or good agency's to get on to for deck hand crew jobs on the offshore industry or would you need tickets to have any chance of work,

i have been working as a deck hand on fishing trawlers around the irish coast for years but i don't have a skippers ticket,

i have done the stcw95 courses and a few offshore courses but am not having much luck in where i have applied to,

so without a skippers ticket or a AB cert they ye think there is any chance of finding work?

i am thinking about doing a 16 week commercial yachtmaster which when completed would make me a skipper as i have heard that to get offshore you would need something like this but its a seriously expensive training course so not sure,

any ideas or help from ye seafarers out there would be great,

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Do BIM not do a skippers ticket course for free? Takes about 3 months or so but you have to show some proof of having a few years experience to get on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Hi,

Any of you know are there jobs available or good agency's to get on to for deck hand crew jobs on the offshore industry or would you need tickets to have any chance of work,

i have been working as a deck hand on fishing trawlers around the irish coast for years but i don't have a skippers ticket,

i have done the stcw95 courses and a few offshore courses but am not having much luck in where i have applied to,

so without a skippers ticket or a AB cert they ye think there is any chance of finding work?

i am thinking about doing a 16 week commercial yachtmaster which when completed would make me a skipper as i have heard that to get offshore you would need something like this but its a seriously expensive training course so not sure,

any ideas or help from ye seafarers out there would be great,

Thanks.

If you have background from trawlers and fishery,i would say it would be sufficient enough.
    Why not just sign up on a few offshore recruiting sites,and give it a try;)
    I know most of the deckhands where i work come from trawlerbackgrounds,i work as master on a AHTS,anchorhandling tug and supplyvessel.
    And that they are used to working with wire is essential here on an anchorhandler.:D

Try this site: linkedin.com and make some contacts in the industry.
    I am sure it wont be long before you get something.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

Hi... Any updates on getting your job as a deckhand and it so, did you go to an offshore agency and what did you need to get your job..

Any advice at all is welcome....

• Registered Users Posts: 18 G2fitz87

Hi... Any updates on getting your job as a deckhand and it so, did you go to an offshore agency and what did you need to get your job..

Any advice at all is welcome....

In the same boat mate been searching high and low for companies trying to get offshore but it's seems to be a very tight lipped industry, I'm going to do me courses soon and then start sending out cvs hopefully get out at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

G2fitz87 wrote: »
    In the same boat mate been searching high and low for companies trying to get offshore but it's seems to be a very tight lipped industry, I'm going to do me courses soon and then start sending out cvs hopefully get out at some stage

Certainly not easy to get out there, lastyear i got 7 months working at the lincs windfarm in the uk on a workboat as a deckhand, when that contract finished i thought with the experience that i got i would have no problems this year getting a start but no joy and i have tried everywhere,

Most are looking for OOW for deckhand jobs which i don't have, i have an EDH and basic stcw and years of experience at sea on fishing trawlers but still no joy.

I have more or less given up trying now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Sorry to say lads it more to do with who you know more than what you know.Same as everything in this country at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Sorry to say lads it more to do with who you know more than what you know.Same as everything in this country at the minute

Nepotism on the high seas.....

Advertisement