Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for .030" polyester film

• 01-04-2012 9:08pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone help out I'm looking for .030" x 2' x 30' polyester or maybe mylar will do it has to be the stiff plastic like you would find on a box for a toy.
    It will be used to do the sides of my boat like this. http://duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/articles/glass/bottom.htm
    Any help would be great thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 DaveClint

Hi Fergal, did you ever find out about this polyester film or try using it. I came across the same page as your link and got really excited about the possibility of getting a finish like that. I'm doing a bit of googling now to search for some. I'll let you know how it goes. Also, have you ever heard of peelply? MBFG supply it. I've checked it on the web and this is a rough idea of how it is used. Sounds like it might be useful.
    Peel ply is really good to use , It helps to compress the layers of glass and the surplus resin comes up through and when the peel ply is eventually ripped off takes the resin with it . LEAVING A 100% CLEAN virgin surface to do what ever you have to do . Paint , bond , add glass to etc etc
    When to rip off ? dont be in a hurry!
    Its a way of keeping the surface perfectly clean so drops of resin paint drops glue mark , dirty foot prints you name it when you pull the peel ply off ll those thins go with it straight into the bin !.
    Can stay there for months of even years and does not need to be pulled off as soon as its hard . All the racing yachts are totally covered with peel ply inside the hull , deck ,bulk heads stringers you name it it has peel ply. same when tabing in Bulk heads etc etcThe tabbing is peel plyed as well .The very nature makes it easy to see the condition of the panel when it is finished , No humps bumps or un even rolling no roller marks so very little fairing and filling is reqiured . The more you use it the more you will want to use it !Its great when doing repair work on the outside because it shows the shape of the surface perfectly !!!.
    Just remember to peel it off and dont glass over it ever !!

This is the link to the duckworks forum discussing peelply etc.
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/materials/peel-ply-14461.html
    They also talk about mylar and polyester film. Its an interesting page I think.

Regards,
    Dave

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi Dave I gave up on the film 1 it was hard to find at a good price and 2 I don't think it will conform well to the shape of my hull, I have been doing some tests with peel ply that I got from http://glassfibre.ie/ and think it will work out well as it gives a finish that will take the varnish, I will know in a few weeks if it works out thats if we get some dry weather :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17 DaveClint

Thanks Fergal, I was thinking of trying to cover some spare pieces of wood with epoxy and using various types of film to get a clean surface. If anything works I'll let you know. That peelply sounds like the right job though. Thanks for the link to glassfibre.ie too.

I hear weather is to improve from Wednesday afternoon! Good luck with it!

Dave

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

DaveClint wrote: »
    Thanks Fergal, I was thinking of trying to cover some spare pieces of wood with epoxy and using various types of film to get a clean surface. If anything works I'll let you know. That peelply sounds like the right job though. Thanks for the link to glassfibre.ie too.

I hear weather is to improve from Wednesday afternoon! Good luck with it!

Dave

It should work well flat or wood that is curved in the one direction and from what I remember you can get it here. http://www.accessplastics.com/sheet-materials/

Advertisement