Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying iPad in new York

• 01-04-2012 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi
    I'm looking for a bit of advice! I am travelling to new York soon and was thinking of getting an iPad , Is there better value in new York? I am also new to iPads!!! I was thinking of getting an iPad 2 as its cheaper is there much difference?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,489 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Even allowing for the 8.875% sales tax in NYC, the iPad2 will still be cheaper than here. Even cheaper in Canada by the way.

Allowing for 1.5% FX on the credit card and using Friday's ECB exchange rate (1.3356), I make the iPad2 Wi-Fi 69 euros cheaper and the iPad2 3G 81 euros cheaper in NYC.

Net Euro prices are 330 and 438 respectively by my numbers. Those are the numbers you'll see on the CC bill when you get home.

Remember you have to get the AT&T version, not the Verizon one, it doesn't matter with the iPad3 but does with the iPad2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

The difference in price after sales tax is taken into account is small , and will be even smaller again once you replace the US charger that you will get in the box with a 3 pin plug that you need here.

Ipad does not charge over USB connected to a PC! Its got to be plugged in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Waiting for someone to come in and mention how you must declare your iPad at Dublin Airport and pay excise too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

andy1249 wrote: »
    The difference in price after sales tax is taken into account is small , and will be even smaller again once you replace the US charger that you will get in the box with a 3 pin plug that you need here.

Ipad does not charge over USB connected to a PC! Its got to be plugged in.

Plenty of those 3 pin adapters knocking around the place as macbooks ship with spare ones

• Advertisement

Really?

An iPad2 16GB Wi-Fi costs $399 in the US, add NYC sales tax of 8.875% makes it $434.41, convert to Euros at todays ECB rate (1.3319) makes it €326.16. Assuming it's bought with a credit card, add on 1.5% FX which makes it €331.15 compared to the Irish list price of €399, a saving of almost €68.

You can get a UK adapter for a US Apple charger for about €20.

Really?

An iPad2 16GB Wi-Fi costs $399 in the US, add NYC sales tax of 8.875% makes it $434.41, convert to Euros at todays ECB rate (1.3319) makes it €326.16. Assuming it's bought with a credit card, add on 1.5% FX which makes it €331.15 compared to the Irish list price of €399, a saving of almost €68.

You can get a UK adapter for a US Apple charger for about €20.

Meaning youve saved a whopping 40 euros ! Like I said , small , of course if your going to New York anyway , and you have no qualms about smuggling , then why not !

Bringing it in without declaring it is smuggling , it is against the law , were not in the habit of encouraging people to break the law around here are we :D

You could be a law abiding citizen and declare it , but that will cost you at least an extra 17% , which brings you to quite a loss !

Edit : I have to add one more thing that Ive just thought of , Would the OP's trip be business or pleasure ?
    I travel a lot with my job , last year I had 5 trips stateside on my L1 visa, sponsored by,supplied, and paid for by my company .... small chance it may be , but if I was caught smuggling anything , regardless of how small , while travelling on company business , I most certainly would not have a job anymore ! Just something to keep in mind !

Meaning youve saved a whopping 40 euros ! Like I said , small , of course if your going to New York anyway , and you have no qualms about smuggling , then why not !

Bringing it in without declaring it is smuggling , it is against the law , were not in the habit of encouraging people to break the law around here are we :D

You could be a law abiding citizen and declare it , but that will cost you at least an extra 17% , which brings you to quite a loss !

First you round 48 down to 40 to suit your case (he may not need an adapter at all), then you invoke customs. Get your facts right before giving people bad advice.

You can bring in goods up to the value of €430 free of duty.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1878a.html#duty-free

He is going to NYC anyway, he can save up to €69 by buying an iPad2 Wi-Fi and potentially €81 if he's after the AT&T 3G model.

You can bring in goods up to the value of €430 free of duty.

You know theres a difference between duty and VAT right ?

Scroll down a little on your link where there are clear examples , you may be duty free given the price of the ipad , but you still owe 23% VAT.

VAT = (Price of item x Duty) x VAT rate.

I dont think any of my advice is bad , I do know my facts , and Bad advice to me would definitely include any encouragement of smuggling.

Bringing goods across borders with the intention of avoiding any taxes or other charges that may be due , definitely comes under the term "smuggling".

Any honest suggestion that buying an ipad in the states is cheaper must take into account all the facts.

The facts are that once you stay legal , pay the state sales tax and the VAT due on the item on returning here , that its actually cheaper to buy the ipad here in the first place.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Waiting for someone to come in and mention how you must declare your iPad at Dublin Airport and pay excise too!

You didn't have long to wait! High horse merchant above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 CliM

Thanks for all the replies! Plenty of food for thought, will have a look over there and see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I never really saw the point of buying the iPad abroad. You have to buy another power cable and then taxes come into play. Granted you might save tiny bit but you gain a heap of bother.
    If you're hell bent on getting it, buy accessories (if you're planning on getting them in the first place) like the smart cover, external keyboard etc to make the savings more marginal.

Advertisement