Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Mountain Open Farm

Options
  • 01-04-2012 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

See another groupon deal for this, has anyone ever been. Website looks good, is it worth travelling from Dublin to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Hiya,

We went there last year, on a Groupon as well.

To be honest it wasn't worth the trip from Dublin, it's a fair trek and you've to pay the tolls near Drogheda.

The place itself has very few animals, there's rabbits in cages, bit like a pet shop. There is a massive field out the back with slides, swings etc which is good for picnics. There does be a tractor pulling trailers around the field wih Kids in them for, I think, €1 a go.

TBH I was disappointed but you may get loads on here who may have loved it, Tayto Park in Ashbourne is far better and closer to Dublin, not a Groupon deal though. Hope I was some help!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭ocy

Thanks Van Beano
    I brought by oldest 4.5 to Tayto farm on Friday. He is small for his age so he struggled to climb into the large play area, and when he did he was intimidated by the bigger louder kids. The smaller play areas, he felt were for babies. The animal bit was ok. Over all I felt it was a bit expensive, My self and friend and 2 kids cost €40 in. Felt the zoo would have been better value.

Felt Tayto Pk would have been a bit mental during school holidays.

At least you got a free pack of crisps though when you were leaving, an expensive pack though :eek:

Red Mountain is a lot smaller than Tayto Park and doesn't have as many animals, the Little Tike cars, swings etc are a bit run down in Red Mountain.

I feel bad for puttin the place down, it could be brilliant now, I'm just going with my experience from last year so I'd love someone to come on with a 2nd opinion.

I was in an open farm in Killarney last year (bit further from Dublin I know) http://www.killarneypetfarm.com/ This was by far the best open farm we've been in, so maybe my standards are a bit high now :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

I went out there on mothers day.
    Honestly was very disappointed! Very few animals. Few little tractors for kids to go on and a bit of a playground. There is horse and carriage rides and little half barrels pulled around by a tractor...but these have an extra charge of €2.50 per person.

The open farm in Newbridge Demesne(near donabate) is a far better day out in my opinion, and theres also a big playground just outside the farm.
    Also around the same price as the groupon deal for red mountain!

The open farm in Newbridge Demesne(near donabate) is a far better day out in my opinion, and theres also a big playground just outside the farm.
    Also around the same price as the groupon deal for red mountain!

+1 on Newbridge Demesne, was there a few weeks ago, there was a cold wind blowing and was frozen, but definitely recommend it. Plus you don't need to pay an entrance fee to use the big playground!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

+1 on newbridge farm

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

We went on the last groupon deal, not a patch on either the Glenroe or Kia Ora open farms imho.

The best of them is the Kia Ora farm based on our experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭ocy

Thanks for all the replies. Think I'll spend my €10+ toll fees and go some where else. Newbridge Demense and Kia Ora look good, will have to try them. Have been to Glenroe few years ago and was good, just looking for new places.

Advertisement