Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

woodburning stove issue

• 01-04-2012 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭

just had a major incident with the stove, never happened before, just heard like a puff sound from it and next off all smoke started to bellow out of it from the top part for the air wash for the glass, the room quickly filled with smoke, sprayed water on it to cool it down and cleaned out what was burning in it, i was burning bits of an old timber floor in it, it was installed 6 months ago, chimney as such never cleaned out? could this be my problem??? how often do they have to be cleaned out??? ive got no roof ladder and im not getting up on the roof to clean it as this is the only way they are supposed to be cleaned, ive got a cleaning eye on the bend, can it be done this way???? :( :mad:

Comments

It certainly sounds like you've had a fall of soot down the chimney, was it an existing chimney or is it new.

As I understand it, chimneys should be cleaned at least once a year depending on solid fuel type.

Chimney sweeps prefer to do the job from the bottom whenever possible, if there's a cleaning eye available then use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Avns1s

What stove is it?

Reason I ask is that I have had a similar issue with a Stanley Oisin I have here and one I installed for my parents. In both cases, there was a "fall of soot" into the short horizontal part of the flue which goes into the rear of the stove itself. Both stoves hadn't been used for a week or so because of the good weather and had been in use all winter up to that.

I would suggest that you would try and remove the baffle and gain access to the flue and clear it out by hand. In the medium term, you should clean the chimney. Good practice would suggest cleaning twice yearly where you are using solid fuel, particularly coal or turf.

Advertisement