Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I wait for iPad 4?

• 01-04-2012 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭

I was waiting for the new iPad for a while and when it came out I was disappointed. It's not the iPad's fault, its just that I bought into the plethora of rumours.
    My main gripe is that its not quad core.I know its not a massive must but I want the speed boost because the display is a beast.
    But with the new iPad's screen being so high res and apps therefore larger, will I wait for iPad 4?
    I'm assuming that 32GB will be the start off next time and it will finally get a quad core (but will be behind the android tablets specs).
    I'm open to buying a new iPad, its just expensive because I want the 32GB with leather smart cover.
    So will I or wont I get it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I'd say wait for the iPad 6. That way you know you'll be getting an amazing one.

I really don't understand these kind of questions. If you want to buy an iPad buy the most recent one, if the most recent model doesn't fulfill your needs don't buy it. Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I'd say wait for the iPad 6. That way you know you'll be getting an amazing one.

I really don't understand these kind of questions. If you want to buy an iPad buy the most recent one, if the most recent model doesn't fulfill your needs don't buy it. Simple.

I think the iPad 3 would suit my needs well, its just if I wait I can get the better version cheaper - ie extra storage all for €480 when it comes out next year.

I really wanted an iPad 2 so the iPad 3 is great in my eyes its just I'd have to spend €580 to get the 32GB version with is quite steep.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I waited another 12 months for the high res display. No way I'd wait another 12 for a speed/memory bump.

In terms of importance to the user experience I wouldn't compare them.

The first thing Apple need to do next year, imo, is make the darned thing lighter.

Dades wrote: »
    I waited another 12 months for the high res display. No way I'd wait another 12 for a speed/memory bump.

In terms of importance to the user experience I wouldn't compare them.

The first thing Apple need to do next year, imo, is make the darned thing lighter.

I'm in the same boat. I would get one in a heart beat if it weren't for the app sizes going up by 10%-30%. I'm not a big app downloader and I stream my music off vevo, so will I need the 32GB? Baring in mind I will be using it for college next year (for either law or biotechnology)
    What version did you get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

In my opinion you should not wait.The next ipad will be a better,maybe a little, maybe a lot. If it's a lot better better you can sell ipad 3 and buy ipad 4.The 16gb particularly retains it's value reasonably well. You'll probably lose 100-150 on the transaction at most. It'll be worth it for a year of playing with your ipad.

That said I have ipad one for 2 years now and ipad3 has offered nothing I'd be bothered upgrading for,there's nothing bar taking photos that I can't do with the ipad I have now, so I'm very happy I didn't waste 2 years ipad-less waiting for something better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apple's product updates have always been evolutionary rather than revolutionary. If you bought into the blogs and their made-up rumours this time, then what's to say you won't do the same thing next time as well?

There's no reason to wait. If you want an iPad, get it now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

1ZRed wrote: »
    What version did you get?
    I got a 16GB version. I'm fairly tidy with my filekeeping, and have a laptop for heavy duty photography stuff. It's really for nothing more than an email/surfing device.

(I <3 my iPad)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Dades wrote: »
    I got a 16GB version. I'm fairly tidy with my filekeeping, and have a laptop for heavy duty photography stuff. It's really for nothing more than an email/surfing device.

(I <3 my iPad)!
    also have a 16gb (Ipad 1) and have no problem with memory capacity despite having thousands of photos and loads of apps and a wee bit of music on it.

IF you want to flood the thing with music and especially video content then you'll not have enough capacity in 16gb, but then you'll run into issues quickly at some stage with 32 or 64gb at some stage if you keep hitting it with files over a gb in size.

By the way, you shouldnt expect apple to be so forthcoming in goodies with regard to memory at any stage anyhow.
    They have a cloud solution to store your files for you and an itunes store as a music source (not to mention 3rd party music services) so as far as they are concerned using your ipad as a storage device is not in their thinking nor to their advantage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Don't understand this quad-core thing.

All tech reviews have said that the iPad is smooth and processors can handle the new screen smoothly.

What more do you want?

ha ha apple over priced - good tech ill never buy aka over priced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

ha ha apple over priced - good tech ill never buy aka over priced
    whatever cheapo device you are using seems to be broke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I really wanted an iPad 2 .

So you've wanted an iPad for over a year and are prepared to wait another 12 months?

There'll always be something in the next release. When iPad 4 is on the horizon there'll be rumours of stuff which won't end up being on it so you'll be asking whether it's worth holding off until the iPad 5 and you'll never end up buying one

If you want an iPad just buy one otherwise you'll never buy one

I'm going to get the new iPad (wifi only 16GB) and then I'm going to sell it and get the iPad 4. I might lose up to €200 in depreciation but I've wanted an iPad for over a year so I'm going to get the best of both worlds this way.
    I hate that the new iPad takes 6 hours to charge and is a bit heavier and underpowered so hopefully that will be resolved with a new power cable design(if only they weren't so greedy wanting to keep the current proprietary charger in order to charge speaker manufactures!:mad:)
    Overall though, it seems like a great product despite how picky I sound!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Bought an iPad 1 and was gonna buy the latest version but after seeing it in the flesh and using one for a while I decided to buy a second hand ipad2, looks the same, acts the same, runs every app I need and cost significantly less than the new iPad. Yes the screen is nice bit so is the screen in the ipad2!

In my opinion if you badly need the high res screen go ahead and buy it. If not there is excellent value to be had in refurb/Sh ipad2's.

As for quad core??? What the hell do you need that for? Bragging rights?? Or to make it future proof?? The latter if agree with somewhat but to be fair by the time apps need a quad core chip to run smoothly there will no doubt be a smaller more power efficient chip available.

Bought an iPad 1 and was gonna buy the latest version but after seeing it in the flesh and using one for a while I decided to buy a second hand ipad2, looks the same, acts the same, runs every app I need and cost significantly less than the new iPad. Yes the screen is nice bit so is the screen in the ipad2!

In my opinion if you badly need the high res screen go ahead and buy it. If not there is excellent value to be had in refurb/Sh ipad2's.

As for quad core??? What the hell do you need that for? Bragging rights?? Or to make it future proof?? The latter if agree with somewhat but to be fair by the time apps need a quad core chip to run smoothly there will no doubt be a smaller more power efficient chip available.

It does not look the same,act the same or run all of the same apps. iPad 3 does everything better.
    My friend has an iPad 2 and I always hated the screen because I'm so used to my iPhone's retina display.
    I could never buy a lesser product when you could get something so much better if you throw down like €200 extra.
    I wanted it to be quad core because I've heard it does lag when running intense apps such as iPhoto etc at that high resolution.
    And I would like it to be future proof because I want a powerful tablet for college/photo editing apps and a few graphically intense games.
    And an iPad 2 would be worth nothing next year if I were to trade up to iPad 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

Played around with the ipad3 and the screen is really very good.

The text is so smooth I can see myself not using my laptop as much for surfing.

My main concern was the small screen that the smaller text migh be hard to read but after using it in the apple store there's no problem there because of the retina display.

Was planning at first getting a 2nd hand ipad1 or ipad2 but they seem to be going for close enough price as a refurb ipad2 but now hopefully I'll be getting the new one next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I've got an ipad3 and am very pleased with it. The only reason I'd need a quad core processor is for playing 1080p MKVs as apple only allow full GPU access to mp4 files (until someone releases a jailbreak). Having said that it's pretty easy and quick to repackage MKVs to mp4s but file sizes are pretty big. Re encoding is not a option for me because my laptop is way too under powered.

digitaldr wrote: »
    I've got an ipad3 and am very pleased with it. The only reason I'd need a quad core processor is for playing 1080p MKVs as apple only allow full GPU access to mp4 files (until someone releases a jailbreak). Having said that it's pretty easy and quick to repackage MKVs to mp4s but file sizes are pretty big. Re encoding is not a option for me because my laptop is way too under powered.

I think I want it to be more powerful just so I would be less limited with video files like you said. I wouldnt jailbreak it though because it would get a bit unstable.
    What capacity iPad did you get if you're watching those big videos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I went for the 64 gig as I knew I'd want to play hidef video. Files usually end up being around 7-8 gigs for an average 1080p video. While I leave the video untouched the audio needs to be converted from DTS to aac which doesn't take long at all and shrinks the file size by at least a gig. At the moment I'm using xmedia recode but will be checking out mkvtomp4 later as I sometimes like to have soft subtitles.

The end result is really impressive - extremely sharp and detailed and play really smoothly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I wanted it to be quad core because I've heard it does lag when running intense apps such as iPhoto etc at that high resolution.
    And I would like it to be future proof because I want a powerful tablet for college/photo editing apps and a few graphically intense games.
    And an iPad 2 would be worth nothing next year if I were to trade up to iPad 4.

Seriously? I'm wondering if you're trolling in fairness.
    A powerful tablet for college? What exactly do you plan to be running on it?
    Obviously those law/biotech courses must have graphically intensive pdf docs.
    If you want to do proper photo editing then use a desktop/laptop. No tablet comes even close to photoshop on the pc or mac. Not even "photoshop on the ipad" ;)

Graphically intense games? That's what consoles/pc are for. The graphics on the ipad aren't that great to write home about despite all the hype.

As for quad-core..apart from photo editing theres's nothing really in the pc world that takes advantage of quad cores despite the hype....hell it;'s now 4 or 5 years later after the introduction of quad core cpu and I can count on one hand how many games take advantage of 4 cores.
    Including apps I might make it to 10..

If you want an ipad get the ipad 3 and flog it next year to fund the ipad 4.
    I've the ipad2 and when compared to the ipad3 it's not worth my while ugprading for a thicker,heavier tablet for the sale of resolution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement