Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert... in College

• 01-04-2012 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭

Hello again mes potes.. :D

Just wondering what you're ideas would be on this (good idea/bad idea opinions etc)

I was talking with my mum about how raging I am not being able to do physics for the Leaving cert( I'm in Leaving Cert at the moment... subject choice didn't allow it) and I told her how I would actually love to repeat Leaving Cert taking a whole new array of subjects as I have a passionate interest in them all (except wood/metalwork i must admit! :L ) She said possibly after I finish in my first year in college I could do maybe Physics & Applied Maths as both are a key constiuent of my course and I probably will end up directing my studies towards applied maths! :L I told her I would love to do subjects like Physics, Applied Maths & Economics or Business for Leaving cert and she said possibly if I wanted next Year I could just sit those papers.

At the moment I study
    English/Irish/Maths
    French/Accounting/Biology/Chemistry/Music all at Higher Level.

I would have done Applied Maths if I had done Physics, but alas...
    I already do music outside of school so my parents said I shouldn't do an extra subject, so that's why I didn't pick it up last year..

I'm a quite intelligent lad people say, (I just think I'm academic)

But I would like your opinions on this. I am hoping to get Mathematical Science in NUIG (hopefully points won't be an issue) and I would love to at least have Physics/App Maths in my artillery incase my field of study strays etc.

Thanks for in advance. :) :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

Sorry if I have misunderstood, but you want to do Mathematical Sciences in college next year while doing physics and applied maths for the leaving cert. Wouldn't your first year of college in mathematical sciences take you far beyond the scope of lc applied maths and physics?

Is this an April fool's joke? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Neodymium wrote: »
    Sorry if I have misunderstood, but you want to do Mathematical Sciences in college next year while doing physics and applied maths for the leaving cert. Wouldn't your first year of college in mathematical sciences take you far beyond the scope of lc applied maths and physics?

Is this an April fool's joke? :D

No 'tis not an April fool's joke but in retrospect i should've waited til tomorrow! Well I'd hope to have it both as a foundation of my education of those subjects and usually in subjects I've heard anyway from teachers and friends that the.y learned tricks and a lot of basic fundamentals through the leaving cert.

But what your opinion on business/economics be? our family has a surf school and once i enter college I'll be the owner netc so i was wondering will i be better off with / without the subjects?

Haha if my parents would let me I'd sipick up the subjects now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Why wouldn't you wait until you finish college to take over the business? Is there some sort of big rush?
    I'd be more inclined to do give one or the other my full attention than run the risk of making a bags of both.

hey spurious,

Well, my sister took over the business when she started college and she finished there 2 years ago and once I began, I'm expected to do so next.. It's to pay for me through college and also for money throughout the year. I'm just wondering would knowledge of Business (eg. LC) be of any use or should I just take night classes etc? The business only runs for the summer moths mostly ( not very busy before february and after october ) so it shouldn't really disrupt my college time that much..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I certainly wouldn't try to run a business on LC Business, but I suppose your sister can help you out. Pay particular attention to any tax, wages and insurance-related matters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

There will be very little point in doing LC level applied maths/physics next year. True, they would be a foundation for a mathematical sciences course, but I'm sure you'll find that the same material would be covered in the college course, just maybe at a faster pace.
    I wouldn't advise doing any more subjects for your leaving cert than you're doing now. If you don't need them for points, then there's no point. After you start college, nobody will ever want to know what subjects you did, how many points you got in LC, so theres no need for them. As regards business, the accounting you're doing now will probably be the most useful to you. Your sister should be able to give you a few tips on the rest of it.

Cool, thanks guys for all your opinions. It'll be an intense summer as my sister is leaving for Australia in October so I'll be on my own (well, my mum and dad'll be there too) next summer¬! :L Talk about being thrown in the deep end! :L So it'd be probably more benificial to just do some crash courses in college and buy some of those "___ For Dummies" books you'd say? Cool. I'll gather all the pros/cons in the summer anyway! Possibly after June I might never want to look at the leaving cert again at all! All I'm wondering is (especially with applied maths) that I could stumble across something during my college course which they haven't covered and it possibly has been on the LC curriculum, but I suppose the lecturers would help you out anyway I presume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Cool, thanks guys for all your opinions. It'll be an intense summer as my sister is leaving for Australia in October so I'll be on my own (well, my mum and dad'll be there too) next summer¬! :L Talk about being thrown in the deep end! :L So it'd be probably more benificial to just do some crash courses in college and buy some of those "___ For Dummies" books you'd say? Cool. I'll gather all the pros/cons in the summer anyway! Possibly after June I might never want to look at the leaving cert again at all! All I'm wondering is (especially with applied maths) that I could stumble across something during my college course which they haven't covered and it possibly has been on the LC curriculum, but I suppose the lecturers would help you out anyway I presume?

Of course they would. Not all schools offer applied maths, so everyone won't be expected to have it done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Meh, you could probably take up applied maths now and still get an A1 in it if you're intelligent enough. One of the questions on the paper is just integration. The other 5 you could still get through between now and the leaving cert., and you would have a hell of a lot of spare time to study it as its the very last exam so a B is definitely not out of your reach! The marking scheme is very soft aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭steve2012

Your thinking of studying business as you think it will help u run and understand a business more ? Don't bother , as my business teacher says everything on the business course is ****e and won't be used in the out side word nd the running of a business just pure waffle. If you really want to study either business or economics then go with economics I'm sure it would give you a better under standing pluse I would have thought since you studied accountant and have the knowledge of the workings and business plan act u wouldn't need to study either of bus or Eco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

steve2012 wrote: »
    Your thinking of studying business as you think it will help u run and understand a business more ? Don't bother , as my business teacher says everything on the business course is ****e and won't be used in the out side word nd the running of a business just pure waffle. If you really want to study either business or economics then go with economics I'm sure it would give you a better under standing pluse I would have thought since you studied accountant and have the knowledge of the workings and business plan act u wouldn't need to study either of bus or Eco
    I disagree. Surely knowledge of how Insurance works, how to Finance a company, different forms of Management etc. would help someone to run a business? Plus Economics is not at all useful either. I do it and it's all about learning off like any Subject in this Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

First year of college in a Business course is practically LC Business. Don't take it for granted. If it's "****e" then I cannot imagine how "useless" it is in college.

Advertisement