Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile fone companies in Oz.

Options
  • 01-04-2012 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Moving to Australia in the next 2 weeks. Just wondering which mobile fone company is the best to go with over there. I have an iPhone 4s so Ill need good 3g coverage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

I've seen this company mentioned as being good value on other threads. I'm considering signing up with them when I move over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

3g coverage is patchy in general here, I am with Optus and Telstra. The former was ok last year but their 3G quality around Melbourne is terrible these days, was getting 1gb of data plus loads of inclusive mins for $30 pm. Telstra speed/coverage is much better but probably more expensive, not sure of cost as I don't get a bill (work phone).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

You need to ask yourself a few questions;
    1) Where are you moving to?
    2) Will you be doing much travel, interstate, outback, etc?

I was with Optus and tbh outside the major metropolitan areas it was next near to useless. Better reports from Telstra but even still coverage can be patchy outside urban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

I'm with Vodafone at the moment with 850MBs of data a month. The data connection can be very hit and miss at times. I picked up an Amaysim SIM card, was gonna give them a go but anytime I tried to register the SIM on their site it just went to a blank page :confused:. TBH from looking around there doesnt seem to be any great data deals at all. I really miss 3's all you can eat data!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Brian201888

If you'll be in a city then Woolworths do a Woolworths specific Optus sim. $29 a month gets you plenty of calls and 5gb of internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Spot of Borg

In the cities you can just go with whoever is cheaper really. It works. But if you are out of town or not in the city you are better off going with telstra or optus. They are ripoffs and will take you for what they can get ut they have teh best coverage.

Spot

• Registered Users Posts: 19 biggame83

telstra is by far the best. all cost about the same but coverage is the best. it would be like vodafone in ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Because I may end up on a mine site for a bit I went with Telstra.

The $50 cap is very good. Called home a good bit and it still lasted the month. The data speed is pretty dire even in Perth.

Had a blackberry at home but unless i went with Optus I couldn't get it to work without a bill phone and most wanted me to sign up for a 24 month contract

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

I'm with Vodafone in Melbourne. Found them brilliant so far no complaints. Coverage has been great, and I've traveled most of the East coast with my iPhone 4s, no coverage issues at all
    $30 dollar Cap (PAYG) and for that $450 dollars credit. 500mb's of Internet, with Facebook/LinkedIn/MySpace/Twitter free.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Go with amaysim dude. $40 for 4gb of data and un limited calls and texts. I find the Internet has better speed/coverage then vodafone as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

i use TPG in sydney's eastern suburbs and i find it fantastic value on the 17.99 plan.

http://www.tpg.com.au/mobile/plans.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Go with amaysim dude. $40 for 4gb of data and un limited calls and texts. I find the Internet has better speed/coverage then vodafone as well

Is there any catch to it mark, buy the $40 credit and get unlimited calls for 30 days is it? Does it include international too?

Advertisement