Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roasting bags....can I roast a beef joint in them?

Options
  • 02-04-2012 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭

Hi

As the title says....can I roast a beef joint in a roasting bag? I do quite a bit in them - chicken, chops, fish etc but have never tried beef. Love using them cos so handy.

Any ideas?

Thanks

J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

My local butcher puts any roast beef he sells to me into a roasting bag.

They are excellent for retaiing the meat juices to use to make awesome gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Thanks :) Yeah, I use them to roast chickens and get great gravy from them as well. Wee question bout the beef - how long should I roast the joint and at what temp? Total newbie with roast beef lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

15-20min per pound, plus 15-20min over, or longer to taste (rare to well done-ness) (there are approx 2lbs to a kilo, so 30-40 mins per kilo, plus 15-20mins over, or longer.).

Start off with a pre-heated oven at 220, then reduce the temp to about 190 after about 20minutes.

also, leave to stand for about 20mins after you take it out of the oven before carving.

Remember, it's easy to fix if it's underdone for your taste, but impossible to fix if overdone, so erring on the "not enough time" side is a good idea, you can always check it and put it back in if you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

a meat thermometer is always a good investment and takes all the guesswork out of it. it also allows you to cook at a lower temp for longer and still hit the 'doneness' sweet spot without any guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Des wrote: »
    15-20min per pound, plus 15-20min over, or longer to taste (rare to well done-ness) (there are approx 2lbs to a kilo, so 30-40 mins per kilo, plus 15-20mins over, or longer.).

Start off with a pre-heated oven at 220, then reduce the temp to about 190 after about 20minutes.

also, leave to stand for about 20mins after you take it out of the oven before carving.

Remember, it's easy to fix if it's underdone for your taste, but impossible to fix if overdone, so erring on the "not enough time" side is a good idea, you can always check it and put it back in if you want to.

Thanks for that.....Now roll on Sunday and a nice hunk of beef :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i did a really nice rib of beef at the weekend.

knowing that some of my relatives don't like any pink in their meat, but also knowing that i can't stand eating dry beef, using the meat thermometer i was able to start roasting the meat early, seal the outside in a pan and then cook it low and slow in the oven at 140 degrees to let it cook all the way through without overcooking it.

as it was getting within a few degrees of the perfect 'well done' temp in the centre, i took it out and left it to rest and covered it in foil.

after 25 minutes resting, it had hit the exact right temp (77 degrees celcius) and carved beautifully, gorgeous tender meat, but with not even a hint of pink, so everyone was happy. :)

Advertisement