Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brisbane. Is it worth a visit?

Options
  • 02-04-2012 4:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭

Haven't been out of Melbourne for over 3 months now and have some itchy feet just to see something new for a weekend. Have never been to Queensland. Brisbane would be the most affordable place to fly to for a weekend (compared to flying to Cairns or Whitsundays) but what is it like as a tourist destination? Is there anything interesting there that is unique to Brisbane, or is it just another generic modern city with no history or culture? Would your recommend a visit, and if you were a travel agent how would you try get me to part with my cash? :) Bear in mind I found Perth as boring as hell, so if it is anything like Perth then I don't want to know.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

04072511 wrote: »
    Haven't been out of Melbourne for over 3 months now and have some itchy feet just to see something new for a weekend. Have never been to Queensland. Brisbane would be the most affordable place to fly to for a weekend (compared to flying to Cairns or Whitsundays) but what is it like as a tourist destination? Is there anything interesting there that is unique to Brisbane, or is it just another generic modern city with no history or culture? Would your recommend a visit, and if you were a travel agent how would you try get me to part with my cash? :) Bear in mind I found Perth as boring as hell, so if it is anything like Perth then I don't want to know.

Its rubbish. Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Ordinarily yes, but because of your distaste for Perth, I'd be a bit iffy. It has a few more attractions than Perth but tbh you'd want to go and visit North Stradbroke island as well to give you another option while you're in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

No idea of your interests but if you're looking for a wild night out or a cafe culture then stick to Melbourne. Stradbroke Island is good for getting out in nature a bit. Australia Zoo might float your boat. Surfing in Gold Coast maybe. Bunch of theme parks. Gallery of Modern Art generally has some good stuff on.

To be honest I'd say give it a miss but then you haven't given any idea what you're looking for in a weekend trip. It is your typical modern city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Brisbane is decent, but expensive.

But if your looking for a good night out, then try Fortitude Valley. Its got lots of various clubs, bars etc. but its a bit dodgy late at night time.

I recommend Australia Zoo though, perfect for a sunday day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Why don't you hit up Surfers Paradise? Me and the missus are heading there in a few weeks. Can't wait, got accommodation in a 5 star hotel for only $110 a night as well..boom!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Why don't you hit up Surfers Paradise? Me and the missus are heading there in a few weeks. Can't wait, got accommodation in a 5 star hotel for only $110 a night as well..boom!

Surfers is my idea of hell. If I wanted that sort of place I wouldn't have flown half way around the world, but rather popped over to Ibiza, Marbella, Crete or Miami.

Basically I love travelling and seeing new places and different cultures. Australia has been an amazing country to travel, one of the best I have been to for travelling purposes, but having seen the West Coast, Top End, the Centre from Adelaide to Alice, most of Victoria, along with Sydney and the Blue Mountains I feel I am running out of places that I have a strong desire to visit. Tasmania would be interesting but not the time of year for it now, given the changing of the clocks. Basically I want to avoid places that contain 18 year old goon-heads. Call me a travel snob perhaps but I have no interest in that sort of "backpacking". Much too old for that now.

I thought Brisbane might have been an ideal place for a 2 day getaway, but by the sounds of it, it is just another boring generic city, so may give it a miss. Nobody is selling it terribly well. :)

I'd like to check out Broken Hill but there doesn't seem to be a direct flight from Melbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Can i ask what part(s) of Australia you found the most appealing?

For cities, Melbourne by a long shot, with an honourable mention going to Sydney. Adelaide was quiet but pretty. Nice to walk around. Alice was fun and had a nice small town feel. Perth as dull as dishwater and Darwin a true sh1thole if ever I saw one.

For countryside, the highlights for me are the Red Centre, Flinders Ranges, Shark Bay, Ningaloo Reef, Karijini NP, Broome (sweet little town), Gibb River Road, Bungle Bungles, Lake Argyle, Mary River, Kakadu NP, Great Ocean Road. Blue Mountains were pretty nice, as was Port Stephens. Haven’t ventured further north than that on the East side. I love the isolated parts of Australia. The Outback was the reason I wanted to travel Australia in the first place. I’ve now seen a huge chunk of the wilderness and have been doing a bit of research on the East coast and I just cant get excited about any of it, bar the Whitsundays. It is just too built up for tourists, which isn’t my favourite type of travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

04072511 wrote: »

For cities, Melbourne by a long shot, with an honourable mention going to Sydney. Adelaide was quiet but pretty. Nice to walk around. Alice was fun and had a nice small town feel. Perth as dull as dishwater and Darwin a true sh1thole if ever I saw one.

For countryside, the highlights for me are the Red Centre, Flinders Ranges, Shark Bay, Ningaloo Reef, Karijini NP, Broome (sweet little town), Gibb River Road, Bungle Bungles, Lake Argyle, Mary River, Kakadu NP, Great Ocean Road. Blue Mountains were pretty nice, as was Port Stephens. Haven’t ventured further north than that on the East side. I love the isolated parts of Australia. The Outback was the reason I wanted to travel Australia in the first place. I’ve now seen a huge chunk of the wilderness and have been doing a bit of research on the East coast and I just cant get excited about any of it, bar the Whitsundays. It is just too built up for tourists, which isn’t my favourite type of travel.

Perth seems to be a popular place for Irish,at least with a large majority of people i know,ive always wondered how it could be so boring!

Thanks for the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Perth seems to be a popular place for Irish,at least with a large majority of people i know,ive always wondered how it could be so boring!

Thanks for the answer.
    Perth isnt boring at all. The OP just likes to get a dig in at Perth on every possible occasion. Something to do with it not having a unique culture/landmark that no other city in the world has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Go to New Zealand. 3 hour flight, nice time of the year. Auckland, Wellington or Queenstown. Great for a long weekend if you can take a few extra days off.

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Go to New Zealand. 3 hour flight, nice time of the year. Auckland, Wellington or Queenstown. Great for a long weekend if you can take a few extra days off.

Smashing country, particularly the South Island. Only problem is I spent a month travelling the place extensively already. However some close friends here in Melbourne are having to leave soon as their visas are up and are moving to NZ, so will certainly make a trip back to visit them later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nick Diamond

Apart from the XXXX brewery (which i haven't been to) i've spent 3 days in Brisbane, and each day has been a bore... The only saving grace is that the brewery is meant to be great craic

Avoid - hit Gold Coast instead...

Might aswell go to Townsville if you're going to Brisbane, both are minus f*ckin craic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

DO NOT GO TO THE GOLD COAST! A vision of hell if ever there was one. Even the beach is in shadow from early afternoon with the highrises!

How about this- fly into Sydney, hire a car and drive South from the airport. Down to Jervis Bay and beyond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I lived in Brisbane for 4 months. Lovely city. Safe, green, easy to get around and well worth a few days in. Food's good too. I never bothered about nightclubs or bars in Australia so I can't comment on those, but I found it a great city, especially the West End.

Advertisement