Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android v IOS, Discuss

• 02-04-2012 7:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

Which one would you go for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭3DataModem

So we are just listening to a guy give his opinion while he mucks around with a phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

If not for ios I would go for wp7. Even after all these years Android is still a mess.

I also don't use any of Google's other offerings beside search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Discuss...

Yes that is defo a video of a discussion :p

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I've used both extensively, I had two iPhones for several years and last year switched to Android. I have a Macbook, and I use an iPad a lot (my flatmates). I find Android miles better. Apple's over simplification drives me nuts. The advantages that Android's more open nature brings is far better. So many simple tasks are frustrating on iOS. If someone asks me which to get - I will usually recommend Apple if they are totally not tech savvy - but if they are a bit techy I'll show them how Android is just better and more fun to play with.

Apple needs to swallow their pride and get with the times - abandon the 'One Button' - go full screen with in screen buttons (3 or 4 of them) and get widgets - I just do not understand why Apple do not have Widgets after so many years of having them on Android. Their development seems to have slowed. They bring out a couple of small features each year and call it 'Revolutionary'. Android has accelerated significantly in the last few years, I have not used ICS 4.0 yet but I hear it is way better again. Oh also iTunes has to be one of the worse pieces of software ever.

Apple has some advantages because of it's simplicity - but not nearly enough to sway me - and a lot of other people also as Android are now out selling iOS phones significantly. Apple are an incredible marketing machine and I have massive respect for what they have achieved, but if they don't seriously step up the game with their development soon they are going to be left quite far behind.

536633159.jpg?key=474749

P.S. OP this is the wrong forum for this thread - you are not going to get much support here. I suggest the "Computers and Technology" forum if you want some unbiased ground.

Actually the screen shots are incorrect...

The new iOS does not have iPod icon, its a Music Icon and Video is separate

IF you are gonna mock it...get it right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I have to agree the iOS is grossly over simplified in many respects.
    I have an iPad and I find it a very frustrating experience.

It won't do many of the things I would expect from a device like this and there are far too many restrictions on its functionality.

I'm very nervous that apple might iPad-ise mac os x desktop too. I'm seeing too many unnecessary simplifications and iPad like tweaks in Lion.

I'd far rather have an iPad that behaved more like a touch screen mac than a giant iPhone !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Mmm all I ever hear from Android users is that it's better because of looks and widgets which to me is not what makes an iOS better.

Just because your phone lock screen will tell you the latest weather or stock price doesn't make it better.

Also don't see why Apple have to change look of the screens.

Windows, the most successful PC OS has had many versions in the last 25 years but it's still has icons that you click on which hasn't really changed, but it's under the hood that's really important.

For me iOS is smooth, works, never crashes and has the best apps available compared to any other OS, I also don't have a problem with iTunes either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I prefer IOS simply because whenever I've used an android device, I've been told to do something you have to install such and such and then do this before doing that, whereas IOs just does it. Fair enough if you really got down into it, the Android could probably do more, but that is achievable if you jailbreak the iPhone. Plus everything the iPhone does is smoother and simpler than Android. The quality of IOS is far superior to Android in every aspect imo.

I go agree though that the next releases of both will be defining as Android do appear to be progressing at a faster pace.

Also I hate to be pedantic but Steve Jobs died in October 2011, so how could he comment on the 2012 layout of IOS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Quazzie wrote: »
    I prefer IOS simply because whenever I've used an android device, I've been told to do something you have to install such and such and then do this before doing that, whereas IOs just does it. Fair enough if you really got down into it, the Android could probably do more, but that is achievable if you jailbreak the iPhone. Plus everything the iPhone does is smoother and simpler than Android. The quality of IOS is far superior to Android in every aspect imo.

I go agree though that the next releases of both will be defining as Android do appear to be progressing at a faster pace.

Also I hate to be pedantic but Steve Jobs died in October 2011, so how could he comment on the 2012 layout of IOS?

Through his iGhost app of course (not available on Android!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hmm, I don't see your "Android v IOS, Discuss" thread in Android forum OP?
    But since you asked and posted in Apple forum, I'd prefer the iphone of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Zascar wrote: »
    I've used both extensively, I had two iPhones for several years and last year switched to Android. I have a Macbook, and I use an iPad a lot (my flatmates). I find Android miles better. Apple's over simplification drives me nuts. The advantages that Android's more open nature brings is far better. So many simple tasks are frustrating on iOS. If someone asks me which to get - I will usually recommend Apple if they are totally not tech savvy - but if they are a bit techy I'll show them how Android is just better and more fun to play with.

Apple needs to swallow their pride and get with the times - abandon the 'One Button' - go full screen with in screen buttons (3 or 4 of them) and get widgets - I just do not understand why Apple do not have Widgets after so many years of having them on Android. Their development seems to have slowed. They bring out a couple of small features each year and call it 'Revolutionary'. Android has accelerated significantly in the last few years, I have not used ICS 4.0 yet but I hear it is way better again. Oh also iTunes has to be one of the worse pieces of software ever.

Apple has some advantages because of it's simplicity - but not nearly enough to sway me - and a lot of other people also as Android are now out selling iOS phones significantly. Apple are an incredible marketing machine and I have massive respect for what they have achieved, but if they don't seriously step up the game with their development soon they are going to be left quite far behind.

536633159.jpg?key=474749

P.S. OP this is the wrong forum for this thread - you are not going to get much support here. I suggest the "Computers and Technology" forum if you want some unbiased ground.

What's so great about widgets? I don't understand. You say android can do more and there's more to play with but you should really give examples.
    I switched from android to iPhone 4 in 2010 and it was miles better.
    Granted android is better than it was back then but I never see the improvements I only just hear about them when people like you rant against ios.
    What I think is the most sorely over looked "feature" is apple's support for all their devices. Day one software updates for everything whereas android is months between.
    I like the who one iPhone per year because I don't have to worry about apps/features not working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭siobhanoh

I used to have an Android and a Blackberry. I was always anti-apple until I got an iPad. I wanted to get a top of the range phone but I didn't want to get an iPhone because I had the iPad. I researched for a long time all the options I had. Really I was looking for a phone that did everything an iPhone did but wasn't an iPhone. The Android I had always crashed and while theoretically it did everything an iPhone does it just didn't measure up and I was worried a new Android would also have these problems. I ended up getting an iPhone and I have never been happier with it. I have this phone 4 months now which is a record for me! (The iPhone was my 8th phone in 8 months!)

Personally I think that the Android seems to be changing too fast for me. I know if I had gotten the HTC Sense I was looking at, I would be raging when the next "Most amazing Android" comes out two weeks later. At least with iPhone on my two year contract I will just have to try and get through the iPhone5 without the urge to upgrade.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Zascar wrote: »

Can I ask how your Android works with the Macbook?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Fine really, I have no dependency on a computer at all for my phone. I transfer files to it over the network with a file browser - or now I just use dropbox for many things also. I do all my backups to the cloud, and my contacts are all updated and sync'd from my gmail account.

my one and only soiree into the Android World and this is what i felt

Always had Iphones, recently decided to try android with the Galaxy Nexus

Some issues could be how samsung configure the phone

Apps - not all work with ICS

I had to install extra apps to allow me to hear the phone ringing as its very low

App needed to change the vibration settings

Does not like sync with my Macbook.

Does not seem to like audiobooks like M4P

I have to install seperate Auido book App

I have to install seperate Music Player App

Complex process to kill apps - had to get another app to really kill em

The whole process of having multiple widgets of varying sizes to apply something is stupid.

Notifications dont stay on you homescreen..I need another app for that

Setting wallpaper - you have to crop image, then it applies it across all screen which scroll, so you never see the whole picture

I needed another app to stop wallpaper scrolling

I have been advised to get AV Software ??? - another app

You have to do a lot of tweaking

I just want a phone I can plug into the dock and it does everything

My 0.02 worth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

siobhanoh wrote: »
    I used to have an Android and a Blackberry. I was always anti-apple until I got an iPad. I wanted to get a top of the range phone but I didn't want to get an iPhone because I had the iPad. I researched for a long time all the options I had. Really I was looking for a phone that did everything an iPhone did but wasn't an iPhone. The Android I had always crashed and while theoretically it did everything an iPhone does it just didn't measure up and I was worried a new Android would also have these problems. I ended up getting an iPhone and I have never been happier with it. I have this phone 4 months now which is a record for me! (The iPhone was my 8th phone in 8 months!)

Personally I think that the Android seems to be changing too fast for me. I know if I had gotten the HTC Sense I was looking at, I would be raging when the next "Most amazing Android" comes out two weeks later. At least with iPhone on my two year contract I will just have to try and get through the iPhone5 without the urge to upgrade.

Only apple users rage about their product suddenly turning obsolete btw.

Comparing some cheap old android phone to an iPhone 4s is hardly fair. Anyone could make such an invalid comparison: "I upgraded from an iphone 3GS to a Samsung Galaxy 2 and it is SO MUCH BETTER".

@ poster above: You are obviously holding it wrong or something. Basically every point you listed is nuts. You installed a task killer app, therefore the problem is the user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Ok, deserves a point by point explanation.
    Apps - not all work with ICS - Not seen any that don't work myself.

I had to install extra apps to allow me to hear the phone ringing as its very low - What the hell? Just turn the volume up :confused:

App needed to change the vibration settings - Is the "app" called "settings" by any chance?

Does not like sync with my Macbook - There is no sync. Just mount it like a usb stick (select mount from notification when you plug it in). If you want to use an app for syncing music then that's up to you..

Does not seem to like audiobooks like M4P - Proprietary format - guess who owns it :P

I have to install seperate Auido book App - You don't have to, you can choose to. The builtin app supports most open formats. See above point about propriety formats. Don't use proprietary formats if you want your media to be interchangable.

I have to install seperate Music Player App - See above.

Complex process to kill apps - had to get another app to really kill em - You don't actually need to kill apps, so just stop worrying about it.

The whole process of having multiple widgets of varying sizes to apply something is stupid. - You don't need to use widgets if you don't want to. Stop complaining about choice.

Notifications dont stay on you homescreen..I need another app for that - Notifications are always there in the notification bar you can drag down. If you want to change this by installing an app then you are free.

Setting wallpaper - you have to crop image, then it applies it across all screen which scroll, so you never see the whole picture - Just add black sections to side of image :P Or get an app to do this for you.

I needed another app to stop wallpaper scrolling - Complaining about choice again.

I have been advised to get AV Software ??? - another app - You do not need antivirus software since there are no viruses. There is malware but it gets nuked off the market quickly.

You have to do a lot of tweaking - Entirely your choice, device works fine out of the box. If there was NO CHOICE then this would be much much worse - as with the iphone.

I just want a phone I can plug into the dock and it does everything - No dock needed, just use bluetooth or usb. You have a phone that does everything.

edit: I tried to italicise the responses but it doesn't seem to show up inside the quote.

I think everything about iOS is just slicker, cleaner, easier to use. IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I like both and each have their positives and negatives. But what I really don't like about android is how fast a handset becomes out of date with no new software updates. Plus when an update hits the market unless you have vanilla android, then you will be waiting a long time to get an update.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Ok, deserves a point by point explanation.

edit: I tried to italicise the responses but it doesn't seem to show up inside the quote.

A I stated, some of teh issues are due to the configuration set up by Sansung

But...the phone could not be plugged is as USB - I needed to download an Android app to the mac to allow me to trx music etc..

All you other answers seem to be complaining about choice....

I had no choice but to install apps to play music and books as this did not happen out of the box...like wise a lot of the other stuff I chose to do to make the phone usable....

Its not choice..its the way the phone is configured....

I also chose to get rid of it to an Android fan for a crazy amount of money ..who then emailed me asking how do I get the music onto it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Could never get this thing with widgets either...I always hate them in Windows and even more on my phone...
    I can always use lockinfo on my ip4 anyway for any information I need to glance at (needs to be jailbroken as it's a cydia app).
    Have a Android tablet (xoom) and while I loved the actual hardware honeycomb was sluggish compared to ios and extremely few apps for HC on the market.
    Google really need to get their act together on the market.

Another thing I hate about Android is the crap updates by manufacturers for their phones...12 months later on you're lucky to get the latest update for you phone.

Lastly...I just do not trust Google with any of my information and the less they have belonging to me the better.
    I love chrome and think it's definitely the best browser out there but I refuse to sign into it anymore since they updated their privacy docs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

"Another thing I hate about Android is the crap updates by manufacturers for their phones...12 months later on you're lucky to get the latest update for you phone"

I think the reason for this is because they keep pumping out new phones every two weeks. I don't blame them for being slow if they release 30+ phones a year.
    If they slowed down a lot they could support their hardware instead of dividing energy making new phones while trying to update the old.
    That's why I notice android hardware ages faster than iOS because the support just isnt there after a year and a half, whereas my iPhone 4 is still perfect and up to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Being posted in the Apple forum probably will make this a very one sided debate. But anyways....

For me i'll always pick iOS. Most of my friends have Android phones. And i've yet to see one to impress me. I don't like the OS and i always find the look and feel to be overly-complicated. Comparing my iPhone 4 to my friends Galaxy SII and just don't see how his is better. He installs custom ROM's and then his phone crashes so he reverts back to the default setting. But he's always raving about how great it is that he can customize it and I can't.

I like having all my iDevices in sync. Even when I had a Windows laptop I loved running iTunes and having it as a centre for my iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad. It makes it so much easier for me. Main reason i'd prefer iOS is due to the fact that I love simplicity. Thats what keeps me upgrading to new Apple stuff. Also the new release of updates for Apps and iOS iterations and I get them day one. But on Android you can be waiting weeks - months and sometimes not getting them at all. For me this really is a deal breaker.

Most people hate iOS because of the locked-in thing Apple have going on. But for me I spend maybe €5 max on Apps every 1-2 months. I've yet to be let down by anything Apple so I don't see the downside.

I'd really like to see Android users offer some examples of advantages Android has over iOS. And i'm not saying this in confrontational way i'd literally like examples. And not generic terms like saying I can customize it and widgets. I mean precise examples. Because that's all I ever hear from my friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Well, it depends what you want to do.

I'd compare Android OS to something more akin to a full desktop operating system in many ways. You can customise it, it's very powerful, yet it's still easy to use.

While iOS is more like what you'd expect on a hard-coded device like a PlayStation or some other consumer product i.e. you can't do anything other than what it can do. It does what it's supposed to do, slickly and with style, but it's rather limited.

Honestly, almost all of the problems that you see quoted about Android are where someone does something really radical to the OS like install a custom ROM. That's equivalent to jail-breaking an iPhone/iPad and you cannot guarantee the results or stability of the system afterwards.

Out-of-the-box Android devices generally work extremely stably in my experience.

It very much depends on what you want.

The major issue I have with iOS is the interface. I find the grid of icons is insufficiently sophisticated to deal with the number of apps that one is likely to have on a smart phone / pad and sorting them is like trying to solve some kind of infuriating puzzle.

Android allows you to keep your apps in an apps folder, organised in alphabetical order and you can put whatever apps you want on one of several home screens. So, you can keep the stuff you rarely use off your desktop.

iOS on the other hand forces you to just have endless random icons scattered across multiple homescreens.

The foldering / stack system is also utterly infuriating. I can't see what's in the folders/stacks and I cannot change their icons so I can't see the point of them!

Other drawbacks :

Mail.app is not customisable in iOS so, for example, it can't handle multiple email signatures which is vital for a corporate user / small business user. Android's Gmail App and Mail apps do that no problem.

To be honest, the lack of Flash isn't a total deal breaker to me, but at the same time it is restrictive. Later versions of Android do handle Flash very well. You have a button to start the Flash applet, so it doesn't screw up your browsing experience unless you want it to, but at least you can play it if you like.

As for killing apps. You generally don't need to, but when something does go haywire ... Facebook is the usual culprit, all you have to do is hold the home key and you can go in and kill the app without any difficulty.

For some reason Facebook's dire on both Android and iOS. They really need new developers!

Solair wrote: »
    For some reason Facebook's dire on both Android and iOS. They really need new developers!

This is true! Probably one of the most used apps on both OS and its awful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,306 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I prefer android. Apple is far too locked in. I have the options of 4 browsers on my phone for example. On apple you just get two (and it was a fight to get opera there).

I am looking forward to seeing windows 8. Windows 7 was a very nice UI. Smooth and uncluttered. If I wanted a phone that was more locked down than the iPhone, I'd move the windows. The only problem is the lack of apps for it. Hopefully by the time windows 8 comes out, that will change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Apple is better because when I'm in Dundrum Town Center I don't feel right pulling anything except an Iphone out of my pocket. Plus the Apple ringtone makes a real statement about who I am. Android might be cool if you're into hacking or whatevs but that's not really my scene :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Grayson wrote: »
    I prefer android. Apple is far too locked in. I have the options of 4 browsers on my phone for example. On apple you just get two (and it was a fight to get opera there).

That's not true anymore. There's loads of iOS browser apps available now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Apple is better because when I'm in Dundrum Town Center I don't feel right pulling anything except an Iphone out of my pocket. Plus the Apple ringtone makes a real statement about who I am. Android might be cool if you're into hacking or whatevs but that's not really my scene :p

whilst in starbucks, of course....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

whilst in starbucks, of course....

You mean "Buckeys" of course ? ;)

Self confessed Apple fanboy here but the one thing in that video I did have to agree with is the "back" button and the lack of consistency between certain categories of apps.

I used Android (2.2) for a while and was impressed with it but always felt it was unpolished and amateur for some reason.

I've played with the various Android Tabs on sale and just found them very messy and easy to screw up !! iPad and iOS all the way for me.

Ken

Advertisement