Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android v IOS, Discuss

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Android v iOS, PS3 v Xbox 360, Mac v PC , Diesel v Petrol, Ahern v Mahon.

All just unwinnable , unprovable and endless battles that will surface from time to time.

Can we not just let people make their own choices and leave it that, no need to convince people that one is better than the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I have to say I like the feel of Android over Apple. The last iPhone 4 I had couldn't even find gps satellites when I installed Navigon software. Never had that trouble with an Android device. Love my iPad tho :) best tablet ever.

On the issue of updates, there are so many different manufacturers with Android devices that there will always be delays with software updates, and at least when android does get an update the look of the OS changes which sadly does not seem to be the case with Apple.

I suppose that both systems have their good and bad points, but for me I like the way Android changes constantly, and also I root my devices and install custom roms, which usually add functionality and remove manufacturer bloatware in a lot of cases.
    IOS works well but I have always found it to be boring. That's why I always change back to Android.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There has to be some reason Android fanboys keep making videos like that?
    Why can't they just leave Britney Steve alone?

Btw, discuss ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Just in reply to the OP video....

I disagree with the guy that made the video on the widgets things versus the iOS icons:

I actually like the iPhone icons and I have mine arranged in a manner that seems logical to me. When I watched that video, I actually thought the Android screens looked far too messy and confusing. I don't see the advantage of the widgets at all, I think they clutter the experience: where he thinks the iPhone is cluttered. Crazy. The iPhone seems WAY cleaner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You can set android up to have simple icons exactly like the iphone if you want. Indeed you can just install the fake iphone app if you like it that much. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bb.iphone&hl=en

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I have a simple small time & weather app on the top of my home screen, and then just lots of app shortcuts on the rest of the screen. Scroll right I have more pages of app shortcuts, but scroll left and I have great widgets like 5 day weather forecast, stocks, twitter, calendar & tasks etc etc. Also the very small widgets are really handy like one click to turn on and off certain settings like data, wifi, torch, hotspot, gps, rotate etc etc. However I believe iOS has that from the pull down menu now. Something Android had years ago. There are plenty more really handy features iOS should just incorporate and make it better and nicer to use.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apple have always been slow to implement certain features. They like to take their time and see if they can find a better and more intuitive way of doing them. Often times they don't, but when they do it's worth the wait. I don't have much experience with Android handsets, but other phone and tablet manufacturers are certainly no strangers to slapping half-arsed features that don't work properly onto their devices. Apple's focus and extra attention to detail is the reason they have such a loyal user base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Android, for a few reasons, but mainly because i hate how Apple operate! All the same, fair fooks to them for the money they make off materialistic people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Android, for a few reasons, but mainly because i hate how Apple operate! All the same, fair fooks to them for the money they make off materialistic people!

Materialistic is a bit harsh no? Their products are well built, good hardware, clean and stable software, and good product support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Materialistic is a bit harsh no? Their products are well built, good hardware, clean and stable software, and good product support.

Quite a few people do buy an iPhone just because it's an iPhone though... :)

I use an iPhone myself but that's purely because there are apps that you either have to faff around with rooting and fiddling with settings to get it to work, or simply aren't available on Android playstore full stop. And then if you switch to a different handset there are no guarantees that all of the apps you had got working will continue to work (or work the same) on the new handset.

• Advertisement

Like the way apps won't work on the older iphone models?

srsly78 wrote: »
    Like the way apps won't work on the older iphone models?

I've yet to come across one - high resolution graphics element of games aside :)

Same story with android. :)

Same story with android. :)
    Three apps that immediately spring to mind:

Sonicwall SSL-VPN Mobile Connect:
    Android - root access needed for < v3.2 (so very recent models only)
    iOS - works on native iOS 4.2 and above (iPhone 3G and later)

VNC Viewer:
    HTC Hero - painful, just painful
    iPhone 3G - works pretty OK
    (both phones of roughly the same generation)

Viber:
    Android - select models only
    iOS - Requires iOS 3.1 and greater (so works on every single iPhone ever made)

Apps that require root are a very special case, the same as cydia stuff for jailbroken phones. I was using vpn with first android phone out, did need root tho.

The stuff you have listed is down to the app publisher, not down to android. Viber does work on many uncertified phones, you just gotta install it yourself. Viber have chosen not to bother supporting some old phones it seems.

Can pick loads of counter examples, like game emulators etc that aren't available on apple at all unless you jailbreak. Again down to politics/marketing really.

Can you even jailbreak (untethered) the latest ios yet?

Apps that require root are a very special case, the same as cydia stuff for jailbroken phones.

The stuff you have listed is down to the app publisher, not down to android. Viber does work on many uncertified phones, you just gotta install it yourself. Viber have chosen not to bother supporting some old phones it seems.

Can pick loads of counter examples, like game emulators etc that aren't available on apple at all unless you jailbreak. Again down to politics/marketing really.

Can you even jailbreak (untethered) the latest ios yet?
    Well the devs can release the iOS version without rooting/fragmentation which is why I'll stay with iOS over Android for the time being. Most people couldn't be bothered rooting and self-installing, they just want the bloody thing to work with the minimum of effort.

Likewise, I don't see game emulators having mass market appeal and can't imagine it to be up to much on some of the lower end handsets. If you're into that sort of thing then obviously go Android - it really only boils down to what you want out of the phone at the day as to which OS you choose.

I don't believe there is a jailbreak at all for the most recent iOS release.

Lots of companies release android stuff without fragmentation problems. It's only when they start to go "off-piste" by using non-official stuff that problems arise. Also the mobile carriers are a big source of the problem, something that apple with it's strict lockdown has avoided. Also developers are very quick to blame "fragmentation" for problems rather then admitting they never read the manual :)

There is a "tethered" jailbreak for ios5 I think, but that isn't much use really.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jeromeof

Watched this video and in general its shows some of the great features of Android and if every Android phone was like this I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it, but unfortunately this is a very limited set of Android phones have the full capabilities shown in this video.

Its a general problem with Android that the high end, latest version promises lots but people get tempted to buy a cheap crappy Android phone or even a nearly high end one that doesn't get the next upgrade because the device manufacturer wants to sell his shiny new version rather than spend time upgrading one that he has already sold. This unfortunately leads to having to "root" and put custom ROM's on, which can be fun in a 'wild west' type of way.

I have used lots of Android phones (and iPhones) over the last few years and in general, I always found the Android experience to be good for a few weeks (lots of fun configuring widgets - generally playing around) but then I notice things like battery life or a lack of decent applications to get what I want done, then I get even more frustrated when I see new versions coming out and I can't upgrade and I wait patiently for some sign of an upgrade. So, Android gets worse as you use it (unless you are anal about configuring widgets on various screens).

While the iPhone experience is often the opposite, starting off there is probably less to do (hey its simple), but you start to notice how well things work, the battery last all day (without fail), you start to appreciate some of the apps available and they actually help you do things, then when when Apple release an update, you get it immediately and can try it at the same time as everyone else. So, overall a consistent experience that certainly doesn't get worse and mainly gets better over time.
    Solair wrote: »
    Well, it depends what you want to do.

I'd compare Android OS to something more akin to a full desktop operating system in many ways. You can customise it, it's very powerful, yet it's still easy to use.
    I agree Android is great at customisation but as for it being like a full desktop operating system, its much more akin to Ubuntu (or some other Linux variant). Lots of potential but a bit ugly and lacking in professional "business" applications. While iOS (and even more so with WP7) is much more like a polish professional OS (Windows 7 or OSX), where things work as expected (you are not worrying about filling up mounted partitions), lots of good support, lots of professional applications available.

Out-of-the-box Android devices generally work extremely stably in my experience.
    Except when it doesn't, one example (and I have many), is a HTC desire I bought my son. He thought it was great for a while until he noticed it getting slower and slower and then getting lots of errors with Apps, turns out the 8GB model really only had about 512MB for apps, so I suggested he move some of the to the SD card, but it turned out that lots of apps don't like that (its getting better), so I suggested getting he install some of the upgrades (thinking possible HTC would care and maybe solve this problem with their device), but amazingly after reseting every (removing all apps), installing the latest updates from HTC the phone had less memory available. HTC seemed want to push more crapware that we couldn't uninstall onto the phone, e.g. crappy twitter and facebook clients he didn't want. So, he was in a worse situation, I suggest I would root it for him (put something like link2sd on it then) but he didn't like the sound of that so now he just has a basic few apps that he uses and knows not to install any new ones.
    It very much depends on what you want.
    Completely agree with you!!
    The foldering / stack system is also utterly infuriating. I can't see what's in the folders/stacks and I cannot change their icons so I can't see the point of them!
    I honestly don't know what you are talking about here, the IOS folder implementation is very elegant and very efficient. Just drag one icon on another and a folder is magically created with the name auto-suggested from the apps metadata??? I have 2 screens on my iPhone and I find it incredible efficient (much more so that 5-6 screens of icons + widgets). My main screen has the apps that I use on a daily basis (with some really important ones in the tray) and the second screen has folders in the same place as the main screen for alternative apps for the same activity. E.g. Photo on the top right corner of the main screen, a Photo folder on the top right of the second screen with iphoto, instagram, Camera+. Same for news (RTE News on the home screen, BBC News + AP News + others in the same position in a folder on the second screen). Once you get bored with Widgets you find its actually the applications and their data/information/logic you want to get too and in general iOS allows that faster, though I do admit that some of the ICS features shown in the video do actually help.
    Mail.app is not customisable in iOS so, for example, it can't handle multiple email signatures which is vital for a corporate user / small business user. Android's Gmail App and Mail apps do that no problem.
    Not sure what you are talking about, the mail app on Android is completely rubbish, the GMail app is good, but then Google released an GMail app for the iPhone also. Can't tell you how long I waited in frustration for android 2.3 to come out with multiple exchange account support.
    To be honest, the lack of Flash isn't a total deal breaker to me, but at the same time it is restrictive. Later versions of Android do handle Flash very well. You have a button to start the Flash applet, so it doesn't screw up your browsing experience unless you want it to, but at least you can play it if you like.
    You do know that Adobe have now admitted that they can't really get flash to work correctly and I even noticed on my ICS device that Chrome for Android does not (and will not) support Flash.
    As for killing apps. You generally don't need to, but when something does go haywire ... Facebook is the usual culprit, all you have to do is hold the home key and you can go in and kill the app without any difficulty.
    Except when you have too!! I have had too many experience with an Android app completely killing my battery such that I wake up on the morning with a dead battery.

So, in summary, the video does show some very nice Android customization but in my opinion and in my personal experience, Android rarely lives up to the promise beyond these customization, though occasional I am surprised by some quality apps, i.e. the google apps are better in Android if you live in a complete Google world.

Jerome

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I wonder if Zanussi microwave owners argue with Kenwood owners ad nauseum over on the home appliances forum.

I wonder if Zanussi microwave owners argue with Kenwood owners ad nauseum over on the home appliances forum.

Exactly.

I don't understand why which one you prefer says who you are.

If you like iOS then you're a materialistic , brain dead Apple fan boy who has no idea what you're doing.

What does it matter, both systems work, are good, both have advantages and disadvantages.
    Both eventually copy each other, and it just comes down to personal choice at the end of the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I usually find iOS users and Android users follow a pattern.

How do you know someone has an iPhone - They tell you they have.

How do you know someone has an Android phone - They tell you your iPhone is crap, overpriced and your an iSheep that just goes along and buys the most expensive shiny thing.

I usually refer to my phone as an "iPhone". But it's mainly because Apple has built the brand around it for the past few years. Same thing they've done with most of their products. I'd never say to someone hand me my "tablet" i'd always call it my iPad. Same with my iPhone.

It annoys me when people say to me I make sure I say iPhone to show off. It's just because of the way Apple market everything. They don't sell laptop's and computers. They sell Macbooks and iMac's. The fact is iPhone's have become very affordable. You can pick up a 2nd hand one for what I used to pay for a Blockia back in the day. Brand new they start at €349. It's not a hipster thing at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

And competition is good. Actually, very good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The "iSheep" thing doesn't bother me. I've been using Apple products since before it was cool to do so. In fact, since becoming so ubiquitous they have really lost their cool factor. There's nothing cool about having the same phone as everyone else. However, I still use Apple computers and devices for the same reason I always did - I like them.

And I don't tell people I have an iPhone. :D

The "iSheep" thing doesn't bother me. I've been using Apple products since before it was cool to do so. In fact, since becoming so ubiquitous they have really lost their cool factor. There's nothing cool about having the same phone as everyone else. However, I still use Apple computers and devices for the same reason I always did - I like them.

And I don't tell people I have an iPhone. :D

You just did!:D

Shhhhh! Don't tell anyone. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Trigg171

I use android myself, but thats personal preference as I do like the ability to tweak and customise it as I see fit.

I have a few mates with the Iphone 4S, and its a brilliant phone but the whole 'closed system' is a deal breaker for me. You also pay a bit more cause its an iPhone IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Apple is better because when I'm in Dundrum Town Center I don't feel right pulling anything except an Iphone out of my pocket. Plus the Apple ringtone makes a real statement about who I am. Android might be cool if you're into hacking or whatevs but that's not really my scene :p

Taking out a iPhone in public would scare me of being robbed :)

Let me take out my POS Android phone at least i have the comfort of not been robbed for my iPhone :P:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

I think this "materialistic" and "iSheep" chat is ridiculous. A decent Android costs about the same as an iPhone 4/4s. It's like saying Fandroids are "cheap", both are significantly cheaper on the secondhand market. As a point though, the 3Gs has definitely aged better than the HTC Hero, for example. How many Hero's do you see on the street? 3 years later the 3Gs is still one of the biggest selling devices. Maybe people are "sheep", but I would say this. Blackberry's were quite the phone for teens/tweens to have about 12-28 months ago, yet sales figures are through the floor now, because people realised that they are difficult to use and don't offer some of the features of iOS or Android. If iPhones were as "crap", "restricted" and "locked down" as some fandroids always maintain the phones would not remain popular, indeed growing in sales.
    It is true customers are "sheep", from Nokia 3110s, to flip phones, Moto Razars, BB and later iOS/Android. Android, probably because of it nature, has not been able to capture the customer in the same way as the consistent, harmonius message from Apple. Appe is one brand, plugging one product with one agenda, Android is pushed by Google with one agenda, the manufacturers with another. Its not as consistent, it never will be. THAT is the main difference.

For the record, the video speaks of "customising", i.e. making a device individual and to your preferences. He chose not to use stock apps to accomplish many of these tasks, this has made it more difficult than necessary. I don't think Dolphin offers any huge advantage over mobile Safari, for example, so why wind yourself up in knots over it?

Advertisement