Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android v IOS, Discuss

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    Well most articles on that suggest that Corning make the glass but it's not Gorilla Glass. iPhones use a lighter glass made by Corning. http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-confirms-Corning-is-making-the-glass-on-iPhones_id27664

Doesn't say anywhere there that it doesn't use gorilla glass. Please back up your claims or stop making them. Or at least put a "I believe..." in front of them.

Here i'll help you:

"I believe apple is not using gorilla glass, however i have no evidence to prove this. It's just a hunch. Just because it's as strong as gorilla glass, doesn't scratch easily like gorilla glass doesn't mean it's gorilla glass. As they say, just because it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck doesn't mean it's a duck!"

There isn't that much better?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jeromeof

1ZRed wrote: »
    I doubt the iPhone uses gorilla glass but I've dropped it countless times from quite a height and have yet to even take chip out of it.
    I hardly have any scratches on it even, and the ones I have are only visible when reflecting light.
    I don't get why people think iPhones are so delicate.

Guys,
    This conversation seems to ignore history. Gorilla Glass was going nowhere when Steve Jobs rang Corning and asked if they could make glass strong enough for their new Mobile phone (that was in 2006). So, of course the iPhone has gorilla glass, it was Apple's idea to use Gorilla glass in mobile phone screens. They would be suing all the other manufacturers asses now if they could have but because it wasn't there invention other manufacturers were free to copy this approach and approach Corning.
    Here is a simple reference on Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorilla_Glass

Its in that fairly crappy Steve Jobs Bio also. Apple don't publish (or allow publishing) that third party products are used in their devices, hence why there is nothing on Corning website.

But even Gorilla glass doesn't fully protect a screen from cracking, especially if it lands on the edge, hence why lots of phone screen still crack.

Jerome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I dropped my iPhone 4 loads of times and it only broke a few weeks ago when it fell out the window of the truck and landed face down on concrete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Well I've no idea what glass iPhone 4/4S uses but I know loads of friends who broke the glass with fairly minor drops. My nephews throw my Galaxy S2 around the room and it's yet to break.

I'm a 100% Android fanboi, just prefer coding for it, prefer having a removeable battery on my S2 and micro-sd card. But a few points against it:

1) I like coding for Android but the default UI that Google give you is sooo ugly. For example, that bottom nav bar with blue highlight on iPhone apps is about 2 or 3 lines of code. The equivalent on Android looks like this: http://developer.android.com/resources/tutorials/views/images/hello-tabwidget.png
    I think we can all agree on what looks better. Most clients want the iPhone nav bar replicated on Android and it takes so much extra work.

But ugly UI seems to be improving with ICS.

2) In fairness, iPhone started this whole smartphone trend and Android copied it by and large but sure nothing is truly original. And that shouldn't affect your choice of phone.

3) A friend said it about iPhone, it's just 'slicker' than a Droid. I can't describe it, it's an intangible.

So I like the iPhone but still prefer my Galaxy S2. I don't code for iOS because I *cannot stand* Macs, computers for women and hipsters. But that's off topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well I've no idea what glass iPhone 4/4S uses but I know loads of friends who broke the glass with fairly minor drops. My nephews throw my Galaxy S2 around the room and it's yet to break.

I'm a 100% Android fanboi, just prefer coding for it, prefer having a removeable battery on my S2 and micro-sd card. But a few points against it:

1) I like coding for Android but the default UI that Google give you is sooo ugly. For example, that bottom nav bar with blue highlight on iPhone apps is about 2 or 3 lines of code. The equivalent on Android looks like this: http://developer.android.com/resources/tutorials/views/images/hello-tabwidget.png
    I think we can all agree on what looks better. Most clients want the iPhone nav bar replicated on Android and it takes so much extra work.

But ugly UI seems to be improving with ICS.

2) In fairness, iPhone started this whole smartphone trend and Android copied it by and large but sure nothing is truly original. And that shouldn't affect your choice of phone.

3) A friend said it about iPhone, it's just 'slicker' than a Droid. I can't describe it, it's an intangible.

So I like the iPhone but still prefer my Galaxy S2. I don't code for iOS because I *cannot stand* Macs, computers for women and hipsters. But that's off topic

Why are you promoting Android software by criticising Apple hardware?

Removable batteries etc has absolutely nothing to do with Android but phone manufacturer.

Complaining about iPhone glass cracking from falls (always a risk) is like saying that a Mercedes is a bad car if the windscreen cracks when hit by a stone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

murpho999 wrote: »
    Complaining about iPhone glass cracking from falls (always a risk) is like saying that a Mercedes is a bad car if the windscreen cracks when hit by a stone.

Really?!

Alright, you're obviously an Apple fanboy, I've learnt to avoid your type

Really?!

I'd say the issue with the iPhone is the aluminium and glass construction. The plastic of the S2 absorbs the impact better while the aluminium is rigid so doesn't absorb the shock, which is probably why the new iPhone cracks easier. This wasn't as much an issue on the old 3GS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I *cannot stand* Macs, computers for women and hipsters. But that's off topic

Bonus points for subtlety.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Bonus points for subtlety.

Well apparently I'm a woman and a hipster :D ... and a fanboy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why are you promoting Android software by criticising Apple hardware?

If I had a penny for every time a phone store employee with latent hatred of Apple tried to sell me an Android handset.

Its like the dude who drinks Heineken not because he likes it but because "Carlsberg tastes like ****."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Really?!

So your only response to a valid argument is to insult them?

For your information I'm not an Apple fan boy, only apple products I have bought is 2 iphones and one ipod in 10 years.

I just don't accept that if a users drops a phone on the ground and it breaks then it's a bad product.
    If Apple were to bring out Rubber balls that broke when you dropped them, then you'd have a bad product but not a phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

When you have a phone with glass on the front and back, then I can only imagine anyone with a basic few braincells would understand it's going to be a fragile phone.

If Android released a phone with similar design and you dropped it then i'm guessing the same thing will will happen to that phone. People who argue against an iPhone 4/4S with the point that the screen breaks when dropped are clutching at straws.

When looking for a new phone one of my feature's I look for isn't durability. I don't buy it to be dropped. I know people will drop phone's regardless of this but it's a risk you take. I've a case on my phone and no matter how many times's i've dropped the phone it's come out without a scratch. However the case has taken a few scratches and cracks. And that's plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

where can I get a usb connection for a HTC Hero?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

rushfan wrote: »
    where can I get a usb connection for a HTC Hero?

Probably not on the apple forum. Might be better asking on the Android forum.

Advertisement