Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Behaviourist Dog Visit

• 02-04-2012 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,

My vet has recommended we take our dog to a behaviourist which I have no problem in doing but I thought it odd that we have to take the dog to visit her at her clinic, not her visit the dog in his own home, to see how he is, how he reacts to the doorbell, visitors....etc...which is part of the problem we are having.

I'm not sure I'm allowed use the name on here but can anyone guide me on this? Is it worth the money?? How can she assess my dog in an hour in a place he has never been before??

Thanks,
    Tilly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Is the behaviourist listed on http://apdt.ie/?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

A behaviourist that comes to your house would be better generally. You could check out Dog Trainers Association of Ireland. www.dtail.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If the issues are within the home then getting one to come to you is much more ideal. If it's not possible then the next best thing is for you to describe (maybe video) the problems and see if you can work out a plan of action that you can work on at home.

If that doesn't work then having one to call is the most ideal solution.

Make sure whoever you use is only going to use postative methods of training, no forcing, no pulling, no shouting etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Hi Tilly32 I think I may be going to the same behaviourist today. My dog has separation anxiety, I sent a dvd of her behaviour last week so she'll have it before we get there. I'm happy enough with that because I wouldn't like to stress her out too much if its something that the behaviourist can see on a video. (but my partner is a video editor so it was easy enough for us!!:p)

I let you know how I get on.

Advertisement