Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo City Marathon - Sept 15th 2012

Options
  • 02-04-2012 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭

Sligo City Marathon & Half marathon - with a bit of Leitrim thrown in..

Site: www.sligocitymarathon.com
    Early Entry: 40 euro
    Chip timing
    Start finish area: Sligo Institute of Technology, Knocknarea Arena
    Route: http://www.wix.com/warriorofthesea/sligocitymarathon#!ROUTES|c2q4
    FB: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003623935052

Loop is around Lough Gill, through Dromahair and back by Cleveragh.
    Reasonably flat, a few short climbs.
    Aid stations will be available every 6km

Half marathon included too that heads out marathon course and loops back at Parkes Castle.

I will be putting questions to the organisers about road closures etc. as this detail is not listed on the site at present.
    It's a fairly large loop so there is bound to be some traffic on the course.
    First marathon in Sligo as far as I'm aware which is strange given the history of athletics in the NW.

Updated entry fees based on email from organizers:

It is now €40 for the full marathon and €30 for the half marathon up until one month before the event.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

There have been two National Marathon Championships in Sligo. Richard Mulligan won in 1995 and Gerry Healy won in 1999.
    Not sure about the 1999 course, however, the 1995 course was a 17 mile loop followed by a 9 mile loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

There have been two National Marathon Championships in Sligo. Richard Mulligan won in 1995 and Gerry Healy won in 1999.
    Not sure about the 1999 course, however, the 1995 course was a 17 mile loop followed by a 9 mile loop.

Thanks for pointing that out Hard Worker, long before my time but must see if I can find some results and details from those dates.

Thanks for pointing that out Hard Worker, long before my time but must see if I can find some results and details from those dates.

Michael Hannon from Sligo AC should be able to give you details. He was running National Marathons around that time and was probably involved in organising.

23 Apr 1995 Sligo 2:27:11 Richard Mulligan
    23 May 1999 Sligo 2:18:06 Gerry Healy

23 Apr 1995 Sligo 3:00:45 Mary Jennings
    23 May 1999 Sligo 3:00:45 Mary Jennings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Sligo City Marathon & Half marathon - with a bit of Leitrim thrown in..

Site: www.sligocitymarathon.com
    Early Entry: 40 euro
    Chip timing
    Start finish area: Sligo Institute of Technology, Knocknarea Arena
    Route: http://www.wix.com/warriorofthesea/sligocitymarathon#!ROUTES|c2q4
    FB: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003623935052

Loop is around Lough Gill, through Dromahair and back by Cleveragh.
    Reasonably flat, a few short climbs.
    Aid stations will be available every 6km

Half marathon included too that heads out marathon course and loops back at Parkes Castle.

I will be putting questions to the organisers about road closures etc. as this detail is not listed on the site at present.
    It's a fairly large loop so there is bound to be some traffic on the course.
    First marathon in Sligo as far as I'm aware which is strange given the history of athletics in the NW.

Price changes:
    Early Entry May-July Late Entry
    Full marathon €40 €55 €70
    Half marathon €40 €50 €65

Anyone know anything about the organisers?
    Are they local, any experience of similar events?

It should be a very scenic route despite the misleading "city" title.
    The steep climb on the half-marathon course (aka the squirrel) should be interesting.
    THe full marathon is not exactly flat either, the climb up cairns hill at 36 km will be tough.
    I also doubt there will be road closures.
    PS Its on Sat 15 Sept.

• Advertisement

Got a quick reply today from organizers(who I understand are local) regarding road closures:

"We have Sligo Garda Traffic Corp at all the major junctions as well as lead Garda bikes on both the half and full marathons. We will also have marshals at all junctions on both routes. One lane of Bridge street will be closed to traffic to allow runners free access. Access to the Mall will be regulated by the guards."

I'd have no doubts about the event going off smoothly, although I see Sligo AC seem to be in denial that the event exists ??? Being beaten to the punch has left a bad taste perhaps...

The Sligo Tri club are plugging it though and Ocean FM are among the sponsors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

the streets of sligo 5k was well organised last year, so hopefully this goes off the same way. I've been chatting to some friends who are keen on running it, I think I'll do it too. It's quite reasonably priced too, which is good.

Warriors run is a few weeks beforehand too, makes for a good few weeks running.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Interesting. Anyone know what the roads on the marathon route are like?
    Undulating Bothrin-type roads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Undulating 2 lane roads. It's an extremely picturesque course. Course description could be taken from any anthology of Yeats poetry. Looks like a good reason to keep a few long runs going into the autumn. Challenging enough hill at 36k as DNA said. An interesting twist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Yes a lovely course. Normally Id be targeting the Dublin marathon and the half would have possibly suited then.
    But with the Barcelona Challenge on 2 weeks later I have to wait for another day to race for the first time in my home county.

• Advertisement

I'd have no doubts about the event going off smoothly, although I see Sligo AC seem to be in denial that the event exists ??? Being beaten to the punch has left a bad taste perhaps...

The Sligo Tri club are plugging it though and Ocean FM are among the sponsors.

I don't think Sligo AC had any plans to organise a marathon. Does this one have an AAI permit? Clubs won't get involved officially unless one has been applied for.
    cloneslad wrote: »
    the streets of sligo 5k was well organised last year, so hopefully this goes off the same way. .

The streets of sligo was organised by the Sligo Champion and Sligo AC and is on 17 June this year.

dna_leri wrote: »
    I don't think Sligo AC had any plans to organise a marathon. Does this one have an AAI permit? Clubs won't get involved officially unless one has been applied for.

I know events like the fit4life and the Sligo road race league take preference and rightly so (I take part myself when at home and they are well organized), but surely recognition of such a large scale race in the area is warranted.

I would have thought it would also add much needed exposure that a new event would need to get off the ground.

Fair enough they may have not, but I find it strange that they are all other private events such as "Run with ray 5k" (which is a fun run and not even timed) but they have not one mention of a marathon being organised in their town???

I know events like the fit4life and the Sligo road race league take preference and rightly so (I take part myself when at home and they are well organized), but surely recognition of such a large scale race in the area is warranted.

I would have thought it would also add much needed exposure that a new event would need to get off the ground.
    Run with Ray is coordinated and promoted by AAI.
    I'm sure once this race gets its permit, it will get support from all the local clubs too.

Thanks for the correction Dna Leri,

Updated entry fees based on email from organizers:

It is now €40 for the full marathon and €30 for the half marathon up until one month before the event.

Can Mods edit my OP to include this ?

It's a city marathon. Bound to be wide streets and well sheltered by tall buildings.

It's a city marathon. Bound to be wide streets and well sheltered by tall buildings.
    Is Sligo a city?! It'd be a superb training run for DCM.

well, I chuckled

Hers the lowdown....

It was designated as a gateway city a few years ago for the Gateway town/city initiative. I suppose if Kilkenny's a city then there are a host of large towns of similar and larger population who could claim it.

Sligo used to be a relatively very large town.

In the early 70s it had a population of 13-14,000 compared to Galways 22,000Now its 19,000 versus 80,000. Think in the longer term it lost a lot of its strategic position after partition.

Interestingly Sligo employs more people than Drogheda although only having half its population.

Anyway. IMO opinion a city should be defined as being a dominant regional urban centre of a largish region (e.g Waterford). Or if an urban centre of a small regional area: being large enough to magnetise large numbers of people and industry from a national source. Sligo is neither. It is a largeish regional town which expands only by feeding from its immediate regional area ( population of Sligo town increses, population of county sligo minus Sligo town decreases). Thats the hallmarks of a town.

It has a very fine lake surrounded by mountains though and should make for a great marathon along its shores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great to see a marathon in the North West, but Race Series Half Marathon is on in the Phoenix Park the same day at €20 and will take entries away from this. Surely organisers should have looked at this before fixing a date for it or maybe there hands were tied.

tang1 wrote: »
    Great to see a marathon in the North West, but Race Series Half Marathon is on in the Phoenix Park the same day at €20 and will take entries away from this. Surely organisers should have looked at this before fixing a date for it or maybe there hands were tied.

It's on the other side of the country though. I'm sure people in the west / north west and some in the midlands, would gladly choose to run in a new, picturesque race, close to home, rather than travelling to, and running in the Phoenix park.

• Advertisement

If you can run 26.2 miles without leaving the urban area or doubling back on yourself, then I think you are entitled to call it a city marathon. In Sligo's case you will be in the countryside within 2 miles, but rather fine countryside it is, although you may only have the wildlife for company in places.

If you can run 26.2 miles without leaving the urban area or doubling back on yourself, then I think you are entitled to call it a city marathon. In Sligo's case you will be in the countryside within 2 miles, but rather fine countryside it is, although you may only have the wildlife for company in places.
    In that case, there are very few city marathons in this country! City or town, it sounds like a great route. Would love to do it. Will see how the middle of the year pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

I know this road well, the scenery inspired our greatest poet to his most famous verse. view of the lake and the hills/mountains for most of the course. Pass through the small picturesque village of dromahair at the half way mark (approx), bound to be loads out to watch there.

narrow roads for 90% of it, pass by Parkes Castle like a something out of the movies overlooking the lake. aughamore and beezies island with the few sail boats and the old wooden pier....

if the sun is out it's gods country there, it's one of my cycle routes. it's a lot more sheltered than the rest of sligo in terms of wind which could be handy.

dates? ah sure you're always clashing with something these days, another sligo event the mullaghmore triathlon clashes with 5, yes 5 other triathlons that weekend. there's a 1.5km swim that evening and the streets of sligo 5km run in on the next day eek.gif

it won't be the fastest marathon with the hills but it's certainly going to be a memorable one. i've done runs in the pheonix park before, give me the rolling hills of calry and slish wood any day.

great to see marathon back in sligo, surprising it's been so dormant for the last while.

this is a golden age of mass participation events we're in right now.
    by god i love sligo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Home town marathon for me too!! Trying to convince herself it'd be a good training run for me 6 weeks before Dublin which is the goal race :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Reasonably flat??

I've cycled around Lough Gill serveral times, it is not flat.

:eek:

Although nice choice for a run. Could be tempting.

I signed up for this the other day.

I've taken a few weeks break from running in preperation to starting an 18 week program, to help give my legs a bit of a break.

Gonna start back up again on Monday, giving me 20 weeks or so prep time for it.

Should be a good run, Warriors is on 2 weeks before, so that should make for a fun taper ;)

cloneslad wrote: »
    I signed up for this the other day.

I've taken a few weeks break from running in preperation to starting an 18 week program, to help give my legs a bit of a break.

Gonna start back up again on Monday, giving me 20 weeks or so prep time for it.

Should be a good run, Warriors is on 2 weeks before, so that should make for a fun taper ;)

3 weeks before i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

There will be pacers for this race. Its not 100% sorted yet so i wont post anything. Should know all the details in the next day or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Pacers will be 1.45, 2.00, 2.15 for the half and 3.30, 3.45, 4.00, 4.15 for the full marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 sligovec

Come along to a fun event organised by Sligo VEC which is being held on Sunday 20th of May at 12 midday at Knocknarea. We are hoping for a turnout of at least 500 people to form a chain around the mountain. There will also be a mini-carnival in the carpark at Knocknarea with street performers, market stalls, musicians, and games and face-painting for any of our younger friends. There will be a couple of buses running from the main carpark in Strandhill from 11am. We are encouraging people to go an hour early and drop off any passengers at the mountain and take the bus up from Strandhill carpark. It should be a fun day!

Advertisement