Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo City Marathon - Sept 15th 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

here are the results from todays race

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bren69

Thanks to the organisers and volunteers for today's event. Just a question regarding the HM distance. My Garmin showed 13.8 and others I spoke to showed upto 14.1 miles. Was the distance measured correctly? I was keen to run a PB today and even though I did on a tough course, it appears the course could have been half a mile-ish out. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

bren69 wrote: »
    Thanks to the organisers and volunteers for today's event. Just a question regarding the HM distance. My Garmin showed 13.8 and others I spoke to showed upto 14.1 miles. Was the distance measured correctly? I was keen to run a PB today and even though I did on a tough course, it appears the course could have been half a mile-ish out. Any thoughts?
    Yeah it was long by a fair bit. Most of the half pacers had it around 13.9 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭MayoRoadRunner

Clocked 13.96 miles & the guy ahead of me had the exact same. Not a PB course with that 'hill' at 7 miles but nonetheless it would have been good to have the distance right.
    Was actually well under my PB at 13.1 miles so was disappointed to have to run a further c. mile. Will race it again next year only if they offer an accurate course. That kind of discrepancy isn't acceptable IMO.
    Beautiful route all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Might run this one some time in the future. Was the marathon distance correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

Just checked there and the marathon appeared in the AAI licensed fixture list and so I am assuming that they went through the permitting process which involved undergoing some form of measurement by an IAAF approved measurer. So there should be an accurate course in there somewhere but whether the organisers actually used it is another thing. Maybe a question for the organisers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

#knowing ur penchant for going off course,maybe u shud wait till the the following year,,,,,one person did 50k....

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Yeah it was long by a fair bit. Most of the half pacers had it around 13.9 miles.

This is becoming a bit of a daft year for Irish race organisers - are there usually this many races where the course length is so off?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

I was using my Android smartphone. I clocked it at 26.85. I'm sure its not as accurate as a Garmin. Its probably accurate.

I heard a mile in to the full marathon that the half was longer than it should be. The distance mentioned was 13.8.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sara-lou

the half definitely clocked a mile longer on my watch and the people i spoke to all had around the same, it was a tough route that just would not end. That hill really dragged the legs and it was a long road in after it worse when you had the extra mile on top of that.

Thought it was a good day in general, tech tee was a nice keepsake and plenty of food and water at the finish line. The water stations were very oddly place IMO. 1st was at 3K? and after the hill there was a very long gap til the 3rd 1.

Being my 1st half marathon i hope they are not all as hilly as this one????

• Advertisement

I heard most had between 26.2 and 26.3 so I'd say it was accurate. Did nearly 50k myself:-P

• Registered Users Posts: 49 d.runs

Clocked it at 26.36 miles, so reckon it was accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

From what I could gather the full was accurately measured but the half wasn't. I think they had to fit the half into the same start/finish line as the full so that's how it worked out long. Hopefully lessons will be learned for next year because it would be great for Sligo if it became a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I heard most had between 26.2 and 26.3 so I'd say it was accurate. Did nearly 50k myself:-P
    :eek: What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

sara-lou wrote: »
    the half definitely clocked a mile longer on my watch and the people i spoke to all had around the same, it was a tough route that just would not end. That hill really dragged the legs and it was a long road in after it worse when you had the extra mile on top of that.

Thought it was a good day in general, tech tee was a nice keepsake and plenty of food and water at the finish line. The water stations were very oddly place IMO. 1st was at 3K? and after the hill there was a very long gap til the 3rd 1.

Being my 1st half marathon i hope they are not all as hilly as this one????

I had 13.86 on mine.

The gaps between the water stations were a bit confusing as were the markers (or lack thereof in parts of the course). Maybe they knew it was measuring long so didn't want to draw our attention to it until we got finished!

Those are things that they can very easily fix for next year if they want to grow this race. I thought the location was very good with some spectacular scenery. While I wasn't happy with my own performance I still enjoyed the day. The little things do make the difference though. A good few positives going for it. Probably the best T-Shirt I have been given for a race yet. Very relaxed atmosphere at the start and finish. Good location for the start of the race with the running track available for warm ups. The goody bag was ok but refreshments at the end were good. Might give it another crack next year if they put it on again, just need some better hill training.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sara-lou

I agree completely....... loads of positives and would definitely recommend it to others. Really agree would love to see it continue and grow, it has potential!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

sara-lou wrote: »
    I agree completely....... loads of positives and would definitely recommend it to others. Really agree would love to see it continue and grow, it has potential!
    did the half.nice course alright and lovely weather. went out a bit fast myself and was absolutely wrecked after the squirrel so it made the never ending trek home bloody painful. the water stops could be located that bit better, maybe increase the distance to the first stop and reduce the distance to the final one, also would like to see a countdown for the last 4 or 5k as in some other races I've done. focuses the mind for the run back to the finish.all in all tho a great run. start/end at the IT is dead handy, lovely scenery, and decent goody so would defo do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭breffni blue

My garmin measured 26.25, hope this race is on again next year it's got potential, mile markers would've been a help..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

:eek: What happened?
    Very similar to yourself in the bogtrotters, I followed a set of arrows from a previous event and it brought me on a near 5 mile adventure. Not to annoyed about it to be honest but I'll be sending the rd some feedback in q few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

rom wrote: »

Should really have noticed that! If they were insisting on finishing in the college grounds (and it was a good place to finish) then just move the start line out the road. It wouldn't have been that much of a problem?!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 AnnRo

I did the half.

Positives - lovely t-shirt, very relaxed start - good parking, loads of refreshments at the end, fab scenery, the squirrel because I got to take a break and walk it :).

Negatives - water stations - odd places but in saying that they were good when we got them and the lack of mileage markers. Got to 16km - would have liked to have more markers between this and 21.5km - I thought I was never going to get to the end!

Well done though.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kandikane

i had the distance on my Garmin spot on one good point to add lol

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Very similar to yourself in the bogtrotters, I followed a set of arrows from a previous event and it brought me on a near 5 mile adventure. Not to annoyed about it to be honest but I'll be sending the rd some feedback in q few days.

That's terrible. I get lost on a regular basis but found the full marathon directions to be pretty clear. I probably wasn't running as fast as you so had more time to think about it :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Mad Benny wrote: »
    That's terrible. I get lost on a regular basis but found the full marathon directions to be pretty clear. I probably wasn't running as fast as you so had more time to think about it :D.

There where plenty of arrows all over the road from other cycling races, ramble walks and even road works. I know the turn Oisin took wrong and it would be easy to assume its part of the route, particularly when you don't see any other runners in front of you.

Just before the 35k mark, there was a whole series of arrows on the road (just at the turn before the last steep climb) and they had to have a steward there otherwise people would have been scattered to the four corners of the west.

Mad Benny wrote: »

Yeah it was at 13 miles just after the water station. No body in front or behind me and was told the turn was up ahead. 3 distinct arrows on the road going left followed by arrows at the next turn and so on for nearly 5 miles until I was back at 13 miles:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Irish Warri0r

Sligo City Marathon & Half marathon - with a bit of Leitrim thrown in..

Site: www.sligocitymarathon.com
    Early Entry: 40 euro
    Chip timing
    Start finish area: Sligo Institute of Technology, Knocknarea Arena
    Route: http://www.wix.com/warriorofthesea/sligocitymarathon#!ROUTES|c2q4
    FB: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003623935052

Loop is around Lough Gill, through Dromahair and back by Cleveragh.
    Reasonably flat, a few short climbs.
    Aid stations will be available every 6km

Half marathon included too that heads out marathon course and loops back at Parkes Castle.

I will be putting questions to the organisers about road closures etc. as this detail is not listed on the site at present.
    It's a fairly large loop so there is bound to be some traffic on the course.
    First marathon in Sligo as far as I'm aware which is strange given the history of athletics in the NW.

Updated entry fees based on email from organizers:

It is now €40 for the full marathon and €30 for the half marathon up until one month before the event.

Is this being run again this year? I can't seem to find anything about it online,I wanted to do it last year but decided to do the Dublin half instead was on the same day. Would love to do it this year so if anyone has info I would love to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

i don't believe it is taking place again this year.

promethius wrote: »
    i don't believe it is taking place again this year.
    Its not no, its going to be run every 2 years. So next year it has a provisional date of sep 6th i believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭curtisbrown

Any word on this taking place again this year?

Advertisement