Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

07 d4d auris

• 02-04-2012 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭

hi all,

been offered a 2007 1.4 d4d toyota auris thats clean with 60k miles on it.

anything to look out for on these for when I go to see it

its an Irish Car 2nd owner from new

Private sale im guessing it would be worth 9k?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

i recently bought a 07 auris d4d, had no problems so far, from reading on forums they just suffer from annoyances rather than faults, the main one is the doors creak at the checkstrap, i greased mine up made no difference, dash can rattle aparently part of a loom comes loose, the windscreen washer jets hit the wipers not window can be fixed with different jets but at £22 a pair its a bit steep, i personally dont find the seats comfortable but i came from a leon with cupra interior so was kind of spoilt, other than that the D4D doesnt seem to suffer any mechanical faults, 1st gear is kind of useless you have to shift into 2nd pretty rapid and the you get ocassional judder from the clutch pedal in 2nd gear again its a quirk of the clutch realese bearing according to toyota

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭aidanki

had a drive in this car today

A few things struck me, v heavy clutch, not really gone on either the handbrake position or the gearstick position

the only thing that I really didn't like was the heavy clutch, is that common to Auris or indicating a fault with this one?

the Auris is a bit like a Yaris, your back further from the frount window than the VVTi corollas, and you can't see any bonnet out the frount window, even where you lean a bit forward. Under the bonnett looks a bit like a Yaris too engine nearly under the dashboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Clutch isn't usually heavy on them

I'd so be looking at a Kia ceed or Hyundai i30 though

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Clutch isn't usually heavy on them

I'd so be looking at a Kia ceed or Hyundai i30 though

I guess your looking at buying new and saying that 150k guarantee would be great. Indeed it would but budget doesn't stretch that far

Even used, mid 08 i30s have 5 year warranty.

Aside from that, they're better cars than the auris.

• Advertisement

Even used, mid 08 i30s have 5 year warranty.

Aside from that, they're better cars than the auris.

better when you say better do you mean more reliable, better specced, better cabin layout......better engine.....better handling......better priced.........?

All of the above.

I used to sell them by the way.

Cabin layout and space is v good in the auris to be fair to it.

May as well add, the 2010 facelift fixed some of the bad bits! But they'd be out of budget

I guess from your posts Colm you think the Auris was a step backwards for Toyota from the previous version 2006 Corolla?

would you say the same about the saloon version of the 2006 and 2007 Corollas

pity i30s and Kias aren't around longer, I would be more inclined to move towards one if I was fairly confident it wouldn't be falling apart at 200k kms, I am virtually certain a Toyota while needing its few repairs will have quite some life left in it.

The auris is a huge step forward from the 02-07 corolla in terms of safety, and packaging. At the time it had the best ever frontal impact score in ncap scoring. The body shell is very safe.

Unfortunately, in terms of drive (steering, gear change, noise, handling) its a step backwards.

In terms of interior it's a step back. The 02 corolla is pretty dull inside, but it's wonderfully well screwed together, and in higher spec models, quite bearable (Luna 06 edition for example) in contrast, the auris has flat seats, an interior like a kinder egg toy, that not only is rattly, but also marks very easily.

The corolla 07 is basically an Auris but without the clever use of space. Not a fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

aidanki wrote: »
    I guess from your posts Colm you think the Auris was a step backwards for Toyota from the previous version 2006 Corolla?

would you say the same about the saloon version of the 2006 and 2007 Corollas

pity i30s and Kias aren't around longer, I would be more inclined to move towards one if I was fairly confident it wouldn't be falling apart at 200k kms, I am virtually certain a Toyota while needing its few repairs will have quite some life left in it.

Toyotas are nowhere near as well built as they used to be years ago. Some believe this happened when they started building them outside of Japan. The Koreans on the otherhand have come on leaps and bounds in the last decade with regards design, build quality and reliability whereas most of the Japanese stuff looks to be standing still next to them.

I would fully expect a Kia or Hyundai to last as long as their competition these days, they are backing this up by offering longer warranties. People thought the same about Japanese cars when they were introduced in the 1970s, it took them a few years to get out of the mindset that the Europeans where the only ones who could build proper cars. Some car companies are still trading off past glories. Disgard the i30 and Ceed at your peril imo.

BTW my father has an Auris and it's a terrible car imo.

I don't think where they're built has anything to do with it, we had corollas coming from Japan, uk, and turkey with no differences in quality.

The carina e was mostly uk built and that's a legend of a car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

i always thought korean cars were $***.

well, most of the older ones are but I drove a 08/09 kia ceed last year in the uk as a hire car, it was well appointed and I was well surprised.

I have no reason to doubt that the hyundai i ones are anything but very good cars indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I don't think where they're built has anything to do with it, we had corollas coming from Japan, uk, and turkey with no differences in quality.

The carina e was mostly uk built and that's a legend of a car.

Exactly, that and the original Avensis (pre-facelift anyway) have a well deserved reputation for being practically bulletproof. Also the Yaris has been built in France for a very long time now and it is a lot more reliable than other French made cars.

To go back to the original point of this thread, I agree with the others, the Auris is crap in every way. It is one of the very few cars out there that managed to be worse than its predecessor (same goes for the 2007 onwards Corolla). The 2002-2006 Corolla that it replaced was a far better car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Marie84

Has anyone had any issues/problems or heard of any issues/problems with the steering column in the 07 Auris?

Is anyone aware if there's been a recall on this? I've heard its quite common. It sounds like the steering wheel is hopping and makes a fairly loud shaking noise. Been to a garage and they said you could change the column and have the same thing happen again..

Any advice?

Advertisement